“Rude staff wldnt go back!”
Review of Penmaenuchaf Hall

Penmaenuchaf Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penmaenpool
London, United Kingdom
“Rude staff wldnt go back!”
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We visited here on a living social deal. We arrived at 1pm as we wasn't to sure where we were going and check inn on our confirmation said 2pm. As soon as we walked in we could hear an older member of staff and a lad arguing. We rang the bell and the lady in her black pinny soon said you're too early and need to come back at 3pm! Not a hello or welcome. We went to the local village and at 2.50pm we went back and got told we are still too early and there is a que for booking in. We were shocked as there was 6 couples in front of us all older and they were sitting down by the fires with a newspaper. We then went upstairs and got showed to our room. We were supposed to go down for afternoon tea but having already sat in the local cafe we didn't want anymore tea! We went down for dinner and I have to say I can not fault the two waitresses. They were smiling and very polite.The food was absolutely delicious.I had salmon for starter and salmon for main meal which was on the main menu and had to pay an extra £25. I also have to say it was £7.50 for a vodka & coke and the same price for a cocktail! I would also say that after dinner there wasn't any where to go. You could stay at the hotel but it was that quiet you could hear a pin drop. Lovely if you don't want to talk to your company but I found it a bit uncomfortable. Overall I wouldn't go back. The lady was rude and to hear staff arguing when you walked in was unprofessional. Overall a Very expensive night and was glad to come home.

7 Thank dream555

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel. The public rooms are really tranquil and a great place to relax with the papers and the hotel's excellent cream tea. The set meal dinner was really first class.

We stay go away on a living Social or Travel Zoo offer at least one weekend per month and this hotel was has been our best experience to date

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I wish I never had the terrible idea to buy a voucher for this hotel. When I called them in early December to book a room at any point in time until the end of Fenruary they said they had no room available on a Saturday for the next two months (which is a bit bizarre considering that the place is in the middle of nowhere in Wales and extremely difficult to reach with trains) and the only way they could get me a room on a Saturday was an upgrade which costed me an additional 50 pounds. As my partner was very sick the day before the trip, I called them to ask to reschedule at any point in time in the future and they told me I could just reschedule in March and that would have costed me an additional 70 pounds.. basically, they added another 120 pounds total on the top of a very expensive reservation! and they were making us a "favor" after I had to call four times to speak with the owner of the hotel who didn't even have the decency to actually speak with me.. THIS IS A TERRIBLE PLACE.. I am shocked and honestly feel tempted to sue them!

on a differnt note, you will need to change four trains or drive for five hours from London to get there..

9 Thank Davide G
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I was fortunate enough to be gifted a stay as a retirement present from my employers . My husband and I have just returned from our one night stay to include afternoon tea , dinner and breakfast . Looking at their web site I discovered they had a dog friendly room , and I called and booked my two pooches in to share our mini break with us. For a charge of £20 per night for the 2 of them its cheaper than kennels ! The room was fantastic . A four poster bed , a balcony complete with table and chairs ( pity no sun ) a great bathroom , stereo, tv docking station , fridge and tea and coffee facilities . Spotless and clean and next door to an exit where we could easily take the dogs into the vast grounds outside . All of our Meals were exceptional , like something off Masterchef , all delicious and well presented . Afternoon tea served in the drawing room by a great log fire . We could have spent a whole day just walking around the building exploring the fabulous rooms . Staff very attentive and smiley . Perhaps some indication of what was where in the hotel ( reception/restaurant) may help but that is my ONLY suggestion for an otherwise excellent hotel break. Downton Abbey - eat your heart out !

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gaynorconnor1
Bridgnorth,England
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Last weekend, six of us went to this hotel.(three couples, all in our 50's and 60's)
The setting is idyllic and the the building itself is wonderful. We found the owners and their staff to be very welcoming, friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. I don't know what more I can say. If you like to stay in old, beautifully looked after hotels, which are obviously the much-loved pride of their owners, then this hotel is for you.
I would not hesitate to return or to recommend it unreservedly.
Lovely place, lovely people, lovely food. A great weekend. Thankyou.
Alan Greenhalgh

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alig7rod
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This a beautiful and very comfortable country hotel that has been lovingly cared for by the owners. Set on over 20 acres it is private and a retreat very much away from the madding crowd. The lovely Dolgellau estuary is a short walk away. The hotel was spotless, our room very comfortable and well decorated with a new, spacious bathroom. The bed was uber comfortable as were the pillows. It was especially cold outside but inside warm with good central heating and open fires. Dinner was delicious - my cod main meal was melt in the mouth fresh and very tasty. Breakfast catered to all tastes and my full Welsh cooked breakfast excellent. Professional and friendly staff were attentive and service all it should be. We really couldn't fault this stay. It was a pleasure from start to finish and we wouldn't hesitate to return. Fabulous.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We were delighted with our time at this country hotel
THE OWNERS HAVE THOUGHTFULLY RESTORED THIS PROPERTY
Great location for day trips
Lovely rural setting,great lodgings and food
Welcoming staff made every effort to please
We will return

Room Tip: I dont think that there is a bad view from any of the rooms