“Evening Meal”

Ranked #1 of 1 Penmaenpool B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Evening Meal”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My partner, I and our little girl visited here last week whilst spending a week in Fairbourne with 6 other family members. We both ordered fillet steak and our little girl had sausages and I have to say it was very nice, after the usual holiday food we had been eating this was a gem of a place. Steak was the price you expect to pay for a good steak and we could have eaten cheaper easily but we wanted to treat ourselves. I ordered a white wine and personally I love it when I can pick the type and then have my own little bottle but I am easily pleased :). We didn't wait long and we had a cosy table in the dining room looking out of the window to the estuary. We finished with 3 separate desserts all of which were amazing. As a foodie family we would definitely recommend this place to anyone in the area

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I ate here over the last few days. So this review is just about the dining experience which was good overall. The pub faces the estuary and has a very pleasant outlook allowing diners to eat on tables outside in the balmy sunshine in a picturesque environment.

There is a good variety of food with sensible prices - not cheap but not expensive. The food we had was the rack of lamb and silverside beef in a black bean sauce. The lamb was perfectly cooked and well presented as was my beef in a black bean sauce. Both somehow lacked some flavour which means I have dropped my marks to 4 stars. The service was excellent, being attentive without being pushy and it was quite busy on a bright summer evening.

But as a dining experience I would have no problem recommending it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My Husband and I have been regular visitors to the George for the last 14 years and wish to put another side to the story. Yes, sometimes we have had to wait up to 10 minutes or more to be served, but when you have Mom and Dad ordering drinks and food for themselves, two kids, nan and Granddad and you get the scenario of Dad sending Mom back to see what flavour J2o drink Natalie would like and then to send her back again to see if little Jack would like beans or peas with his meal!!!!!!! - All this time people are waiting their turn to be served. The bars are not very large and whilst two staff would be handy again you have a problem if one staff is pulling two pints of fosters for example and the second staff also wants to pull two pints of fosters, only one pump, you still have to wait. It is no wonder the staff do not want to chat and seem quiet, all they would like to do is serve you as quick as they can and not keep everyone else waiting. I would not be happy of they started a conversation with a long queue waiting. The food we have been served has always been excellent and whilst the prices may seem higher than a city where you can get two meals for the price of one or two for £10, they are average prices for a rural location where purchasing costs and transport costs marking up prices, plus local produce is always that bit more expensive. Spare a thought before you go to any bar to order drinks and food for both the sanity of the staff and other waiting customers. Have a little patience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nick S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The view from the hotel was absolutely beautiful. The rooms were clean and comfortable if a little dated. To be honest, that didn't matter - it just added to the charm. However, the staff were the grumpiest that I have ever encountered. All in all, I would go back just for the sensational view but it could have been perfect.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank nishanisha
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Mr L took Mrs V to meet his mum for the first time, and this is mum's favourite eatery and we weren't disappointed. The atmosphere was friendly and warm, serving fresh, home cooked food. Would recommend the seafood lasagne, the liver and bacon, and the ribeye steak. A good wine list at reasonable prices. A successful introduction to Wales!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have just stayed at The George for three nights ( in two different rooms, due to a few days elsewhere in the middle of my break ) and found it to be a friendly and welcoming hotel. The rooms are scrupulously clean and the beds extremely comfortable. The views are unsurpassable. An extensive and varied menu was on offer, which was served up by hard working and efficient staff. The quality of the food was very good and I enjoyed all my meals. I have read the negative comments and am amazed. Overall, I thought this atmospheric old hotel was a delight and, whilst busy and full during my stay, the staff still found the time to be friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Heather S
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We can say it has been a pleasure for us to have eaten at the George for the last eight nights.
Why?
Well first, the menu was very comprehensive, the quality, taste, service and presentation exceeded excellent which probably explains why it is very busy every night.

The staff we cannot fault they smiled and joked with us and made a real fuss of our three year old grand daughter in a genuine loving way.

In the future we will certainly be eating there some more. "After all you cannot get too much of a good thing"

Stuart H

We thank you the George most sincerely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Stuart S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penmaenpool
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#7 of 33 in Dolgellau
Gwesty Gwernan Hotel
Gwesty Gwernan Hotel
#10 of 33 in Dolgellau

Been to George III Hotel? Share your experiences!