“Treated like Dogs!!”
Review of George III Hotel

George III Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Penmaenpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stopped here today with my husband and 3 children (ages 2-7) for a Sunday Carvery which I must say was realy nice. But wait, it goes on.......
We entered via the top enterance, and went straight into the bar area, waited a good 10 minutes before the barman actualy turned round to speak to us, knowing quite well we were there!! I asked for a table for us for the carvery, because we did not book a table in advance we had to be seated in the cellar! So down we went, ordered our food only to be charged £9.95 each, yes, childs carvery was also £9.95!! The cellar was dingy, cold and dark. I felt like an extra off the Titanic film, the poor ones at the bottom of the ship! We were made to feel like we werent good enough to be seated upstairs. Anyway, went back upstairs to get our carvery, food was excellent I must say, staff at the carvery section was helpful. We then had to carry our food downstairs, which I forgot to mention.....you have to go outside to go down spiral steps to the cellar, by this time it was p*$$*ng it down raining!! Arggg!! A member of staff saw that we were having difficulties carrying 5 plates of food and a toddler and offered us a hand.
So, if you want to go there, a piece of advice.....book a table in advance!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank MrandMrsTanner
There are newer reviews for George III Hotel

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I am writing this review on behalf on my self and my partner x , to express my appreciation for the quality of service you and your staff offered us during our stay at you hotel . I decided for your hotel because six years ago we stopped over for lunch and we said "one day we will stay " one of our best decisions ever , we enjoyed the peace and quiet . the very long walks that we took , ( that down to the bar man sorry did not take his name very friendly guy )
We will definitely recommend your hotel inc the stunning view , ducks , to our friends and family ,and we are sure it will not take us another six years to come back , WE HOPE ,
Than you again

Room Tip: turn left at the front door, mind the ducks and walk
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My partner, I and our little girl visited here last week whilst spending a week in Fairbourne with 6 other family members. We both ordered fillet steak and our little girl had sausages and I have to say it was very nice, after the usual holiday food we had been eating this was a gem of a place. Steak was the price you expect to pay for a good steak and we could have eaten cheaper easily but we wanted to treat ourselves. I ordered a white wine and personally I love it when I can pick the type and then have my own little bottle but I am easily pleased :). We didn't wait long and we had a cosy table in the dining room looking out of the window to the estuary. We finished with 3 separate desserts all of which were amazing. As a foodie family we would definitely recommend this place to anyone in the area

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I ate here over the last few days. So this review is just about the dining experience which was good overall. The pub faces the estuary and has a very pleasant outlook allowing diners to eat on tables outside in the balmy sunshine in a picturesque environment.

There is a good variety of food with sensible prices - not cheap but not expensive. The food we had was the rack of lamb and silverside beef in a black bean sauce. The lamb was perfectly cooked and well presented as was my beef in a black bean sauce. Both somehow lacked some flavour which means I have dropped my marks to 4 stars. The service was excellent, being attentive without being pushy and it was quite busy on a bright summer evening.

But as a dining experience I would have no problem recommending it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My Husband and I have been regular visitors to the George for the last 14 years and wish to put another side to the story. Yes, sometimes we have had to wait up to 10 minutes or more to be served, but when you have Mom and Dad ordering drinks and food for themselves, two kids, nan and Granddad and you get the scenario of Dad sending Mom back to see what flavour J2o drink Natalie would like and then to send her back again to see if little Jack would like beans or peas with his meal!!!!!!! - All this time people are waiting their turn to be served. The bars are not very large and whilst two staff would be handy again you have a problem if one staff is pulling two pints of fosters for example and the second staff also wants to pull two pints of fosters, only one pump, you still have to wait. It is no wonder the staff do not want to chat and seem quiet, all they would like to do is serve you as quick as they can and not keep everyone else waiting. I would not be happy of they started a conversation with a long queue waiting. The food we have been served has always been excellent and whilst the prices may seem higher than a city where you can get two meals for the price of one or two for £10, they are average prices for a rural location where purchasing costs and transport costs marking up prices, plus local produce is always that bit more expensive. Spare a thought before you go to any bar to order drinks and food for both the sanity of the staff and other waiting customers. Have a little patience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nick S
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The view from the hotel was absolutely beautiful. The rooms were clean and comfortable if a little dated. To be honest, that didn't matter - it just added to the charm. However, the staff were the grumpiest that I have ever encountered. All in all, I would go back just for the sensational view but it could have been perfect.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank nishanisha
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Mr L took Mrs V to meet his mum for the first time, and this is mum's favourite eatery and we weren't disappointed. The atmosphere was friendly and warm, serving fresh, home cooked food. Would recommend the seafood lasagne, the liver and bacon, and the ribeye steak. A good wine list at reasonable prices. A successful introduction to Wales!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penmaenpool
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 4 in Barmouth
The Royal Ship Hotel
The Royal Ship Hotel
#7 of 34 in Dolgellau

Been to George III Hotel? Share your experiences!