“Every bit as good as we thought it would be”
Review of Hotel Portmeirion

Hotel Portmeirion
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Portmeirion
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Just excellent. We were there for our Son's wedding and it is a truly magical place for a wedding. We also had great weather which was a bonus. Stayed at Unicorn for 4 days (Two en suite bedrooms with a living area and small kitchen) which is lovely with great views over the village. Then moved to the Royal Dolphin (one en suite with a living room) with excellent views over the estuary. Whilst there we saw other hotel rooms and also some of the cottages/rooms that you can rent on a weekly basis and these were also great. For a truly romantic hotel room try the Watch Tower. Private with fantastic views and a terrace and garden. The hotel itself is also very good with lovel;y rooms as we stayed there in November 2009. Food is very good both at the Hotel and the Castle. But the huge bonus is the staff. Nothing is too much trouble, they remember who you are and where you are staying (even when you move as we did!) and are so thoughtful and helpful it just makes us want to go back. So in summary perfect for a wedding, great for a few nights and also for a week. We will certainly be back. Thanks to all the staff for giving us such a super time.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,541)

Reviewed 30 April 2010

Lovely stay in a Village House, with dinner included in the hotel. Recommend this quiet, interesting location, and we really enjoyed wandering around the grounds too. The estuary is beautiful, the houses are amazing as is this folly, and the staff very helpful. Would love to return soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
RobinPM, Manager at Hotel Portmeirion, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

We are delighted that your visit was a positive one and very glad our staff were helpful. Our aim is to ensure excellent customer service for our guests at all times.

Reviewed 22 April 2010

This was our 7th visit to 'The Village'. On this occasion we stayed in the self catering accomodation 'Upper Arches' which was beautifully set on the edge of the woods. How nice to wake up in the morning to hear the sound of birds and nothing else. Being a keen runner there was nothing better than an early morning run through the woods and along the coast path and up through the village.
Found the staff extremely pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. You certainly feel a sense of pride amongst them, a rare quality in these modern times. Staying here also enabled us to sample nearby resorts such as Porthmadog and the delightful Criccieth. Memories of childhood holidays have once again got me transfixed with UK holidays. Definitely no more airports.
Looking forward to returning soon. Being a keen Prisoner fan I can watch episodes to get my Portmeirion fix.
Why oh why did Number 6 EVER want to escape from this place. Maybe one day when I enter they will not let me out.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
RobinPM, Manager at Hotel Portmeirion, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2010

Very glad to hear that your recent return visit was a success. Upper Arches has just been refurbished with better sound proofing insulation installed and a new kitchen with a dishwasher. In due Thank you for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Be seeing you!

Reviewed 18 April 2010

After arriving back from a family outing for the day, my family and I were directed to reception who told us that all our personal belongings had been removed from our rooms (Unicorn lodge). Our belongings (including two laptops, other electrical items and clothes) had been dumped in the back of one of the hotel's vans. Reception told us they had done this because another guest wanted the rooms and because we had not booked the rooms for that night (I later checked my booking form which showed the departure date to be blank, but we did have a reservation in the hotel restaurant that night!). During the day, no attempt had been made to contact us by mobile phone or email (we had two Blackberry's with us) to say that this was happening. We were left to repack our car in the car park outside reception (fortunately it wasn't raining). When I paid the bill by Amex, reception told me that the transaction was void and asked me to pay again. Fortunately, I phoned American Express who told me that the transaction had gone through thus avoiding me having to pay twice. As we left, we drove past the lodge where we had stayed and noticed a Bentley car parked outside. I hope the new occupants had a better experience than we did.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank discerning_guest55
RobinPM, Manager at Hotel Portmeirion, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2010

Unfortunately our guests did not leave on the day they were due to check out. They had a letter with their departure date clearly noted. We had incoming guests who had travelled far and had specified this particular suite for several nights. The belongings were carefully packed. Alternative accommodation (two adjoining rooms) was offered and refused. We regret this incident and apologise for the inconvenience. We did not have the guest's mobile number. We accept that we did not send an email, however we should have done so now that many people do carry blackberries. Our terms and conditions state that we reserve the right to pack guests belongings in order to make the room ready for incoming guests.

Reviewed 2 April 2010

We had a delightful and comfortable room in the castle. The complex is staffed by people who are friendly, helpful and professional. The food, atmosphere and setting blended together to give us a truly relaxing and refreshing mid week break. We will definitely be returning. Even the snow which settled on top of the mountains opposite added to the experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
RobinPM, Manager at Hotel Portmeirion, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2010

Delighted that your experience was positive. Thank you for sharing your views.

Reviewed 30 March 2010

Firstly, I have to admit that my 9 yr old son and I went to Portmerion entirely because of the 1967 TV show 'The Prisoner' (we're huge fans). I can't describe the excitement of finding ourselves 'in the village', with all the familiar sights and landmarks from the TV show. But forget fandom for a moment, because the location and views here are absolutely stunning, no matter what you come here for. We opted to stay in one of the hotel 'cottages' in the village itself, in a house called 'The Fountain'. It's a deluxe room, but has a good reason for that billing: it's a huge, luxurious suite with unbelivable views out across the water. One of the best hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. And the decanter of port waiting for me on arrival was a nice touch. We had a dinner and breakfast deal with the main hotel, which was an interesting experience: the food was beautifully prepared, interesting and very tasty (high level dining, this), but the atmosphere of the restaurant was very intimidating and rather pretentious. With a 9 yr old in tow, I felt very nervous about manners and wearing jeans etc. It's all a bit stuffy and stuck-up (as are the waiters), but the food is WONDERFUL. There's not much to do in the village, but everywhere you go brings a new view. It's just a lovely place to relax in and explore. And it gets even better when the day visitors have gone and you're left all alone in there! There's even a dedicated Prisoner gift shop.

The hotel is very well run, but it's a little complicated to check in and out, as you have to do this in the gatehouse which is a long way from the hotel near the car parks. I had to wait in a long queue to check-out, but it was a busy period. And to be fair, we were greeted very well on arrival and directed away from the day visitors. I loved this place. It's not cheap, but it's certainly worth it for a special treat. It's totally unique, and will live in my memory forever.

• Stayed: October 2009
RobinPM, Manager at Hotel Portmeirion, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2010

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you very much for your comments, especially your comments regarding the check-in and check-out procedures. I agree this proceedure is currently a bit complex. So I'm glad to advise that we will soon open a new curvilinear entrance lobby, welcome desk and concierge at the Hotel Portmeirion where all check-ins and check-outs will take place. This will simplify the process, ensure better customer service and provide all our guests with a warm welcome to the village. It will be operational during the first half of April 2010.

Reviewed 22 March 2010

Wonderful Spring break with great sunny weather and lovely food. I hear that they are now offering free internet access in the rooms (sadly not in self-catering yet for some inexplicable reason).
This is now a vital facility and I'm delighted that they have seen the light.
I've been visiting since 1966 and it's getting better and better. See my high res panoramas at www.gigapan.org and put rodgopan portmeirion in the search box. Happy exploring! Keith Rodgerson

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank krbristol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmeirion
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel
Glyn-y-Coed Hotel
Glyn-y-Coed Hotel
#2 of 6 in Criccieth
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Hotel Portmeirion? Share your experiences!