Castell Deudraeth
US$142
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel(Porthmadog)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$169
Royal Goat Hotel(Beddgelert)
US$115
Hotel Portmeirion(Portmeirion)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe penthouseportmeirion villagefree entryunderfloor heatinggas firesmall kitchenettewhirlpool bathcoal effectliving flameport merionhuge roomlounge areamusselswelsh lambgrand roomlovely mealwalk in wardrobe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 October 2013

As others have mentioned, the Castell Deudraeth is separate from the Portmeirion Hotel and is "up the hill a bit" from The Village. That said, the setting offered beautiful views, spacious and well furnished rooms, at a reasonable rate.

We had two rooms on the top floor. To the extent you can request the room you're assigned, we suggest room 10, which has more and larger windows, and a lovely view to the water and hills in the distance. Both rooms offered a sitting area, tea-kettle, and a mini-fridge. In addition, you'll find a small container of very tasty sherry that was magically refilled each day.

The rooms were spotless and the beds (with duvets) were quite comfortable (plenty of pillows). There is plenty of no-cost parking just outside the main entrance. Although a bit slow, the property does offer no-cost wi-fi that worked well with my iPad.

The walk down to The Village takes only a few minutes and your room key offers no-cost admission to the grounds (it really was interesting to walk through the site of the 60's TV show, and it was nice to see how well-maintained the property is).

While it is a bit of a chore to get to Portmeirion (it took us about 4 hours driving from London Heathrow), the trip is well worth the effort, as a stay at this hotel was pleasant and relaxing in all respects, and well worth the cost.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor offer better views depending on the room you manage to get for your stay. Room 10 offered wonderful views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Flying_Lawyer
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I rang to book the Portmeirion Hotel for Friday night 4th October B&B for me, my husband and 6 year old son Henry. Without me realising it I had been nattily booked into the Castell Deudraeth Hotel which is newly renovated and the "sister" hotel to the Portmeirion Hotel, it is further from the beach and Portmeirion Village, but so charmingly situated and has such an impressive façade that when we first arrived we didn't mind too much that I had been sort of duped! I asked what star hotel and was told 4, yet there is no concierge, no porter, not even a luggage trolley and the one lift is not much bigger than a coffin so if you have big luggage don't come here. This tiny lift is not suitable for wheelchair users or a child's pram, we noted that there is only one designated disabled parking space outside. Upon booking over the telephone I was told that the date I wanted to stay was on "special offer" and that instead of a nightly charge of some £230 it was discounted to £190 for B&B for our little family. So this is a 4 star price, but not all 4 star facilities. Although the hotel is hot (a bit too warm) and the renovations are well done its far too modern throughout for the original character of the building, however there is a lovely old fireplace that looks original in the foyer. Our room Number 5 is on the 2nd floor, the door to the room is heavy to open, we come into a little hall and on the left there is a medium sized wardrobe, no proper cupboards to put clothes away, then we open another even heavier door to the large spacious (but hot) bedroom, there is a double bed (not twin as requested), the sofa has been made up into a almost double size bed, which we were pleased about. There is a confusing array of light switches to operate the dim spotlights and a few uplighters, the windows are virtual archer slits so you can hardly see outside and there is virtually no natural light. The room is large yet stuffy, there is a strange large stainless steel kitchen in a cupboard we expected a large wardrobe to be. Who on earth wants a large kitchen in a hotel that charges over the odd's for B&B? A waste of space and money for the clientele and for a new design its not well thought out. But hey that's just me as a woman! The bathroom has a medium size Jacuzzi bath, yay great, no wrong it was FILTHY, when I ran the water the bath filled with with dirt and pieces of material so gross! I had to clean the bath before we could use it! Now for a supposedly 4 star hotel that's crap! There were dirty flannels in the bathroom of which I took a picture and have posted here. One of the uplighters didn't work and flickered on and off constantly, I rang reception who said they would get it fixed but they didn't bother, zero out of 10 for effort reception staff. There was no message to say whey this had not been repaired. The whole castle interior is stark and horribly modern and not at all in keeping with the lovely rugged exterior. Our room felt like a jail with these tiny arrows and as dark as the hole of Calcutta. The dining area was lovely like a huge orangery with all glass windowed walls and a clear view over the estuary and gardens behind. The food was wonderful, bit expensive we paid about £110 for 2 adults and a child's meal plus a bottle of wine, house champagne was fab and I had 2 glasses @ £8 each! Ive only given this hotel a very good rating because of the fantastic (albeit pricey) food, the service was slow at first but once I had got up marched over to the staff area and taken a bread roll for our starving 6 year old son they service suddenly improved! haha. If you are a child or disabled don't stay here, its not a family friendly hotel, our son was not offered a kind word or smile from any staff member, he was not offered pens crayons colouring book, which children get in lower stars than 4. There is no pool, no spa, no gym, no childrens play area, no childrens play equip, not a newspaper or magazine in the reception. Oh in our room there was a complimentary bottle of water and a small sherry, also our room had bathrobes, hairdrier, iron, ironing board. I don't know who iron's whilst on holiday? I damn well don't! I cant see why this castle is 4 stars? the inside has been restored to the state of a NHS Hospital décor, the rooms are dark and poorly apportioned, no amenieties, nothing for children, disabled access is very questionable, who gives out these stars Stevie Wonder? The hotel has several saving graces ie the exterior castle is beautiful, the dining room is light airy spacious with fantastic views, the food is really really good, I cant say I eat a lot of strange combinations and certainly not goat's cheese, in fact we couldn't select any of the starters as they were so bizarre sounding so we had a small portion of melon from the child's menu as our 1st course, I had the steak for my main course (plain) and it was cooked to perfection as was the accompanying food. The staff are mainly local welsh speaking and I think this is highly commendable to employ the local residents. The dining hall was very busy with people waiting in reception for tables. I heard lots of them speaking welsh, so pleased to see that the hotel has a lot of local support. When we are in the area I would never stay there again as I feel the interior has something lacking and reminds me of an old hospital! Upon our departure the reception was empty, having pre-paid for room over 2 wks ago on my telephone booksing and and paid for our meal the night before I felt I owed nothing. A woman began calling out to me and asked if I was checking out I said yes and have paid, she asked me what room and yes she ran around to her computer, then demanded 90p from me for the Daily Mail : at this point Ide had enough of staying an an over priced hospital and said I thought papers were complimentary, but no so I gave her 90p and glared at this over zealous ill trained person! A bonus of staying here is you get a free pass to enter Portmeirion Village, yippee!

Room Tip: don't stay here with children, don't stay here if you are a wheelchair user. the windows are like arrow slits and our room number 5 had a limited view over garden, no sea view. sorry cant be more helpful
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Managed to get a late deal at Castell Deudraeth in Portmeirion. What a setting and an easy 10 minutes stroll from there to the Village. We stayed in an apartment/suite on the 1st Floor which had a massive lovely lounge including a kitchenette in a cupboard, a fabulous and spacious bedroom and modern and spacious bathroom including a huge bath with overhead shower.
The room was well maintained and we were welcomed by very friendly and relaxed staff.
Complimentary sherry in the room was a nice suprise.
We checked in around 3pm on a Wednesday and strolled into the Village around 4pm. Most visitors were already leaving by then or had already left and it was a great opportunity for lots of uncrowded photos and a comfortable walk around the Village checking out the scenery and shops. We booked room, breakfast and dinner and whilst still not cheap it did include unlimited access to the Village, normally £10-ish ahead a time. We ate in the Castell Restaurant and we were very well looked after and the food was very good. The Castell restaurant is more informal than the Hotel Restaurant in the Village but it suited us. Everybody around the Village and in the Castell were relaxed and friendly and happy to recount their stories of the recent Festival 6. Definately do the Coastal Walk and get down to the Estuary Beaches - gorgeous scenery.
We're coming back and hopefully also coming to Festival 6 next year. Even if you don't know of the TV Series (The Prisoner) a venue and place not to be missed!

Room Tip: Not cheap if you stay but worth it. Stay in the Castell and stroll into the Village late on.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara F
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Took my mother for her 90th birthday had a lovely meal well presented and good service. Had coffee outside overlooking the garden. Fantastic surroundings and you will get free passes for portmeirion which is well worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank beatlefanAnglesey
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A lovely stay but since our stay 10 years ago, we felt there was something lacking... The suite was lovely but very bare and the restaurant seemed to need some music. We swapped dinner and breakfast on the second day to the main hotel which seemed much more welcoming.
There was also lots of outside noise caused by the clearing up after the Festival. All seemed a little disappointing, especially as it was a gift from our family. John & Christine

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple