“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Castell Deudraeth

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portmeirion
Castell Deudraeth
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portmeirion
Warwick, England, United Kingdom
“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We have just returned a weekend stay in the penthouse suite at the castle . The room itself was very nice but it would have been nicer to arrive to a warm lit room on a cold november afternoon , the biggest problem we had was the bed , it was very hard we did ask if anything could be done ,and they very kindly supplied a topper so that was good . We ate in the castle on the first night and the staff here all really friendly and good . The second night we ate in the hotel and that was not such a good experience , whilst the food was ok we were seated at a table right by a function room which was holding a party of 30 so very noisy , a bit strange as there was other empty tables away from the noise in the main part of the resturant , we were then asked if we wanted desert by four different waiters / waitresses even tho we asked to have a 15 min break as we had only just had our main plates taken away , all in all a good stay but personally i would eat in the castle its a nicer atmosphere

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed in room 1 for one night. Lovely place and staff. Could have stayed longer. Highly recommended especially good value for money. Reasonable prices for a hotel considering they have you as a captive audience.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daryl O
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at Castell Deudraeth in Portmeirion and it met with our expectations. Having stayed previously in one of the Portmeirion Village Rooms we decided that the Castell looked like a good option for our second trip there and we were not disappointed. We chose a Grand Castell Room and it was extremely spacious and well appointed. The bathroom was good containing bath with jacuzzi option and shower over and was a good size. L'Occitaine toiletries were provided along with waffle bath robes and slippers. Two bottles of water were also provided and were replenished each day. A small decanter of sherry was also provided, although it was not good quality and my only suggestion to the hotel would be to either provide a decent sherry or not bother with it at all. The room had a lovely leather couch and chairs, coffee table, desk and chair, occasional table and dressing table along with a super king size bed which was very comfortable. The lounge bar is very cosy with a roaring open fire in the impressive fireplace. Dinner was limited choice but very good and the service we received was excellent. Breakfast too was very good and the overall experience was great. We will definitely return for a future visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in Castell Room 1 on the first floor (there is a small lift if required), which had a dual...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helenbakagain
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Just home after two nights at Castell Deudraeth and I wonder if it was the same place others have reviewed as we don’t recognise some of the recent comments. The staff were lovely – had a great chat with one of the lads in the bar and the driver who brought us down to the hotel was a sweetie (if you are friendly and interested in people you will reap what you sow – that’s the same everywhere and I think why we hardly ever have bad service anywhere we go in the world) the girls on reception were helpful and eager to know we had enjoyed our stay – which we definitely had - It felt like we were away for a week. I loved the fact that most were Welsh speaking – it made it feel more of a trip away rather than 4 hours’ drive from North London. We both said it was so much more relaxing to drive than get on flights for a few days away.

Some corrections – the lift is certainly big enough for a pram and parents (unless you had one of those ‘Mary Poppins’ silver cross prams and were very large yourself) and also could fit a wheelchair or any luggage you may have. In any case, whilst wheelchair access is always important (and regretfully by its very hilly/cobbled nature much of Portmeirion would be out of bounds..it is difficult to see how that could be altered without destroying the essence of it), we are quite happy for it not to be ‘family friendly’ – there are a million things for families to do in the UK and if we have to forego trips to places like this until they are older or come without the kids then so be it – we enjoyed the relaxed non ‘playground noise/bright coloured cartoon characters’ for a few days. Not everything in the world has to be built round children. When we take the kids away we go to Centreparcs etc – this is nice for us. Also – there IS a spa and a pool (not heated at this time of year..again – I wonder if the recent review was about another hotel?)

Our room – room 5 – did have small-ish windows but this is all part of the character of the place – it was not too dark even tho it was October (see pics) – it is a castle! If we wanted every hotel stay to be the same and have no surprises we’d have stayed at a Hilton. We did not find it too modern – it is ‘modern classic’ décor inside – very nicely done – the furniture is of good quality and all the build materials are a high spec (lovely wooden panels and doors in the hallways). The room looked as if it was newly painted and the bed was comfy and bedding crisp and spotless as were towels – toiletries were lovely - L’Occitaine- esp the soap which we are going to buy for home. It also had a wardrobe which was ample for a couple for a few days and also a chest of drawers - The room was well proportioned and plenty of room – apart from in India /Sri Lanka we couldn’t recall having a bigger room given this was not sold as a suite it still had a full size sofa and armchair . Hard to imagine what else you would want really.

It is most certainly worthy of the 4 stars and the price is amazing value – when we got our bill for two nights plus dinner and drinks we thought it was a mistake it was so cheap. I’ve never known a hotel that didn’t charge for newspapers but we didn’t get any as we don’t when we are away – the sherry was a nice touch as has been said – not everyone has the same taste – I drank a few glasses my husband not so keen – that’s life! Hard to imagine what else you would want for your stay really.
The food at both the castle and the hotel was top – my only quibble was there were no walnuts in my chicory and walnut salad and I actually chose it especially for the crunch of the nuts but no biggy – and I do agree that the atmosphere may be a bit too quiet in the castle for dinner and breakfast – we could have done with a bit of background music but I know some people don’t like that so again – I don’t expect everything to be like home – it doesn’t bother us as we were chatting anyway but I got the feeling some people were self-conscious – as there were only 5 tables (it being a wet week in October so understandable) it was quiet anyway. The dining room in the hotel was also quiet but as there were more tables full it was more of a buzz. Dinner at the Castle and the hotel were both lovely - I had grouse at the hotel which was cooked to perfection as was my husband’s beef- and although I was full I had to try the pear tart with bubble gum crème anglias – I don’t know how they do it but it was amazing! Last month we were at the Michelin starred Gidleigh Park and this meal was just as good at a quarter of the price.

The free pass to Portmeirion is not to be sniffed at as this saved us £40 over the two days – given the B&B was £75 pppn – this is amazing value in my book.
I would def recommend this hotel to any grown-ups looking for a relaxed and different break- with fabulous food – we go to lots of restaurants in London which charge the earth just because they can – it was well worth it to use less than a tank of fuel and get to Wales and great food at such a great price.

We spent a morning on the Ffestiniog railway which we got from Portmadoc (10 mins drive from Portmeirion) the scenery was breath-taking - it felt like we were in the alps and we were so lucky with the weather – 18 degrees on 15 October – wonderful. If you walk up the hill from Portmadoc to the next bay – ‘Borth y Gest’ – go to the Mooring Bistro for the best Welsh Rarebit ever, overlooking a wonderful quiet bay – reminded us of West Cork our fave place in the world.

Room Tip: Room 5 was huge for two
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lellybellybean
West Linn, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

As others have mentioned, the Castell Deudraeth is separate from the Portmeirion Hotel and is "up the hill a bit" from The Village. That said, the setting offered beautiful views, spacious and well furnished rooms, at a reasonable rate.

We had two rooms on the top floor. To the extent you can request the room you're assigned, we suggest room 10, which has more and larger windows, and a lovely view to the water and hills in the distance. Both rooms offered a sitting area, tea-kettle, and a mini-fridge. In addition, you'll find a small container of very tasty sherry that was magically refilled each day.

The rooms were spotless and the beds (with duvets) were quite comfortable (plenty of pillows). There is plenty of no-cost parking just outside the main entrance. Although a bit slow, the property does offer no-cost wi-fi that worked well with my iPad.

The walk down to The Village takes only a few minutes and your room key offers no-cost admission to the grounds (it really was interesting to walk through the site of the 60's TV show, and it was nice to see how well-maintained the property is).

While it is a bit of a chore to get to Portmeirion (it took us about 4 hours driving from London Heathrow), the trip is well worth the effort, as a stay at this hotel was pleasant and relaxing in all respects, and well worth the cost.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor offer better views depending on the room you manage to get for your stay...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Flying_Lawyer
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I rang to book the Portmeirion Hotel for Friday night 4th October B&B for me, my husband and 6 year old son Henry. Without me realising it I had been nattily booked into the Castell Deudraeth Hotel which is newly renovated and the "sister" hotel to the Portmeirion Hotel, it is further from the beach and Portmeirion Village, but so charmingly situated and has such an impressive façade that when we first arrived we didn't mind too much that I had been sort of duped! I asked what star hotel and was told 4, yet there is no concierge, no porter, not even a luggage trolley and the one lift is not much bigger than a coffin so if you have big luggage don't come here. This tiny lift is not suitable for wheelchair users or a child's pram, we noted that there is only one designated disabled parking space outside. Upon booking over the telephone I was told that the date I wanted to stay was on "special offer" and that instead of a nightly charge of some £230 it was discounted to £190 for B&B for our little family. So this is a 4 star price, but not all 4 star facilities. Although the hotel is hot (a bit too warm) and the renovations are well done its far too modern throughout for the original character of the building, however there is a lovely old fireplace that looks original in the foyer. Our room Number 5 is on the 2nd floor, the door to the room is heavy to open, we come into a little hall and on the left there is a medium sized wardrobe, no proper cupboards to put clothes away, then we open another even heavier door to the large spacious (but hot) bedroom, there is a double bed (not twin as requested), the sofa has been made up into a almost double size bed, which we were pleased about. There is a confusing array of light switches to operate the dim spotlights and a few uplighters, the windows are virtual archer slits so you can hardly see outside and there is virtually no natural light. The room is large yet stuffy, there is a strange large stainless steel kitchen in a cupboard we expected a large wardrobe to be. Who on earth wants a large kitchen in a hotel that charges over the odd's for B&B? A waste of space and money for the clientele and for a new design its not well thought out. But hey that's just me as a woman! The bathroom has a medium size Jacuzzi bath, yay great, no wrong it was FILTHY, when I ran the water the bath filled with with dirt and pieces of material so gross! I had to clean the bath before we could use it! Now for a supposedly 4 star hotel that's crap! There were dirty flannels in the bathroom of which I took a picture and have posted here. One of the uplighters didn't work and flickered on and off constantly, I rang reception who said they would get it fixed but they didn't bother, zero out of 10 for effort reception staff. There was no message to say whey this had not been repaired. The whole castle interior is stark and horribly modern and not at all in keeping with the lovely rugged exterior. Our room felt like a jail with these tiny arrows and as dark as the hole of Calcutta. The dining area was lovely like a huge orangery with all glass windowed walls and a clear view over the estuary and gardens behind. The food was wonderful, bit expensive we paid about £110 for 2 adults and a child's meal plus a bottle of wine, house champagne was fab and I had 2 glasses @ £8 each! Ive only given this hotel a very good rating because of the fantastic (albeit pricey) food, the service was slow at first but once I had got up marched over to the staff area and taken a bread roll for our starving 6 year old son they service suddenly improved! haha. If you are a child or disabled don't stay here, its not a family friendly hotel, our son was not offered a kind word or smile from any staff member, he was not offered pens crayons colouring book, which children get in lower stars than 4. There is no pool, no spa, no gym, no childrens play area, no childrens play equip, not a newspaper or magazine in the reception. Oh in our room there was a complimentary bottle of water and a small sherry, also our room had bathrobes, hairdrier, iron, ironing board. I don't know who iron's whilst on holiday? I damn well don't! I cant see why this castle is 4 stars? the inside has been restored to the state of a NHS Hospital décor, the rooms are dark and poorly apportioned, no amenieties, nothing for children, disabled access is very questionable, who gives out these stars Stevie Wonder? The hotel has several saving graces ie the exterior castle is beautiful, the dining room is light airy spacious with fantastic views, the food is really really good, I cant say I eat a lot of strange combinations and certainly not goat's cheese, in fact we couldn't select any of the starters as they were so bizarre sounding so we had a small portion of melon from the child's menu as our 1st course, I had the steak for my main course (plain) and it was cooked to perfection as was the accompanying food. The staff are mainly local welsh speaking and I think this is highly commendable to employ the local residents. The dining hall was very busy with people waiting in reception for tables. I heard lots of them speaking welsh, so pleased to see that the hotel has a lot of local support. When we are in the area I would never stay there again as I feel the interior has something lacking and reminds me of an old hospital! Upon our departure the reception was empty, having pre-paid for room over 2 wks ago on my telephone booksing and and paid for our meal the night before I felt I owed nothing. A woman began calling out to me and asked if I was checking out I said yes and have paid, she asked me what room and yes she ran around to her computer, then demanded 90p from me for the Daily Mail : at this point Ide had enough of staying an an over priced hospital and said I thought papers were complimentary, but no so I gave her 90p and glared at this over zealous ill trained person! A bonus of staying here is you get a free pass to enter Portmeirion Village, yippee!

Room Tip: don't stay here with children, don't stay here if you are a wheelchair user. the windows a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Managed to get a late deal at Castell Deudraeth in Portmeirion. What a setting and an easy 10 minutes stroll from there to the Village. We stayed in an apartment/suite on the 1st Floor which had a massive lovely lounge including a kitchenette in a cupboard, a fabulous and spacious bedroom and modern and spacious bathroom including a huge bath with overhead shower.
The room was well maintained and we were welcomed by very friendly and relaxed staff.
Complimentary sherry in the room was a nice suprise.
We checked in around 3pm on a Wednesday and strolled into the Village around 4pm. Most visitors were already leaving by then or had already left and it was a great opportunity for lots of uncrowded photos and a comfortable walk around the Village checking out the scenery and shops. We booked room, breakfast and dinner and whilst still not cheap it did include unlimited access to the Village, normally £10-ish ahead a time. We ate in the Castell Restaurant and we were very well looked after and the food was very good. The Castell restaurant is more informal than the Hotel Restaurant in the Village but it suited us. Everybody around the Village and in the Castell were relaxed and friendly and happy to recount their stories of the recent Festival 6. Definately do the Coastal Walk and get down to the Estuary Beaches - gorgeous scenery.
We're coming back and hopefully also coming to Festival 6 next year. Even if you don't know of the TV Series (The Prisoner) a venue and place not to be missed!

Room Tip: Not cheap if you stay but worth it. Stay in the Castell and stroll into the Village late on.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#2 of 6 in Criccieth
Waterloo Hotel
Waterloo Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Castell Deudraeth? Share your experiences!