Crown Hotel
The Moelwyn(Criccieth)
Caerwylan Hotel(Criccieth)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsbreakfast cooked to ordercentral locationsky sportsasda storethe pubtop floorcomfortable roomfirst floorshort breakgood sizeyogurttea and coffeebreakfast was excellenttwo nightswhitehallalekey
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We needed to visit Pwllheli on business and saw there wasn't much choice in hotels in the area! Plumped for the crown as best of the bunch as wasn't disappointed.
Rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. The old building is beautiful - as long as you go in the front door as the back entrance is not so picturesque!
We arrived late after a long journey and the staff had kindly held back two sandwiche platters for us so that we could eat after the kitchen closed. They also made sure we immediately had a cup of tea and a glass of wine! Friendly, helpful and couldn't do enough to make sure we were comfortable.
Breakfast was good - with a range to suit all tastes - and again served by friendly and charming staff.
Not disappointed with our stay - a good basic product for a very low price, delivered well.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank lucybrown13
CrownHotel-LL53, Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for your lovely review.
It was a pleasure to try to make your stay as comfortable as possible!
We appreciate how one feels after a long journey, so I'm glad the sandwich platters and welcome were of comfort.
We will be looking to make the rear of the hotel more attractive as one of our next projects.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Our extended family (14 of us)were fortunate to spend 1-3 nights at this lovely hotel, which also hosted my Aunts 70th birthday dinner/party on the Saterday for about 25 guests. The staff went out of their way to make our stay very pleasant, we felt totally at home. The rooms were clean and comfortable and besides being on the street side we slept very well.We dined in their restaurant on the first night and I had one of the best steaks I have ever had. The breakfasts were also lovely.The dinner that was provided for the party was amazing and the team even provided the Kareoke machine for the evening. Victoria and her team seem to go out of their way for their customers and seem to gel as a great team.Excellent quality for the price.We will definitely be staying there again in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Samantha S
CrownHotel-LL53, Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you - your lovely review is much appreciated.
I'm glad you enjoyed the steak!
Your family was truly a pleasure to host, and I hope to see you all again.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

What a find! We stayed in this hotel where my aunt hosted her birthday party. The staff were marvellous, so helpful and friendly! All the rooms were lovely, quaint and perfectly clean. Beds comfortable too. The food was excellent and reasonably priced and the hot buffet prepared for the actual party was really good and varied - everyone commented on this. I cannot thank the staff enough for their attentiveness and for 'going the extra mile'. As there was nowhere to eat on Sunday night the chef very kindly offered to heat up the leftover food from the party (there were quite a few of our family staying in the hotel) and did so - even bothering to present it properly for us. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Pwllheli. Thank you to all who helped make this family celebration really wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicolafine

Thank you for such a wonderful review.
Your family was a real pleasure to look after, and I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay here with us so much!

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed two nights for a visit to the Llyn Peninsular and it was very charming, good and interesting - both the area and the hotel. For some reason I had difficulty booking a room through their website (tried twice) but no problem when using Lateroom.
It is an old building and my room was nice but a bit akward (difficult to reach the window because of the tv, bathroom under the stairs so you'll have to watch your head). The bar was almost directly under my room but it was never a problem - or maybe I was too tired to notice. Nice breakfast.
I would love to return to northwest Wales and to the Crown.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank bs02

Many thanks for your review. I am always pleased to receive feedback - especially such positive feedback!
We do have a few curiously shaped rooms, which whilst present complexities with placing furniture, do also add to the charm of this old building.
Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

In the High Street Pwllheli,Good location,very friendly staff. But,this is a pub with rooms not a hotel.
No food on a Sunday night (had to go to the local Indian restaurant which was just alright). No lift either for the elderly or infirm. Extremely loud, heavy rock music in the bar made it impossible to speak let alone spend time there.Two different groups of local drunks having fights outside the pub in the early hours didn't help our sleep patterns or our car which was parked opposite with thrown beer bottles to add to the stress. Bedrooms face the street so there was no escape. Not a place for peace and quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scarfman
CrownHotel-LL53, Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review online. I am truly sorry your stay was not to your satisfaction.
I do remember you, as I try to make sure I greet all customers, and I remember you as being a lovely and polite couple.
Unfortunately, once the carvery has finished we do not continue to serve food on Sundays, which perhaps as we develop the business, we will be able to remedy. I do remember offering to cook for you myself, which I truly meant, and I apologise if my offer came across as anything other than genuine.
Occasionally customers in the bar do put money in the juke box, and as there is a wide array of musical styles to choose from, there are times when the music will not be to the taste of others.
We do always offer residents the use of the lounge area in the restaurant area, as it is a much more quiet and cosy place to relax in.
I do also remember there being a fight outside, which incidentally was not related to any of our customers. It was a very unfortunate happening, and I did call the police as I also was unhappy and concerned. The fight had dispersed by the time the police drove past.
It is a small, grade 2 listed building, and as such we would be unable to install a lift. We do also have a small car park to the rear of the hotel, as well as several passes to park for free in the Asda car park, both of which are away from any passers by.
Pwllheli is mostly a very peaceful town, however, as we are situated on the High Street, there is the risk of noise drifting up through the windows, as would be the case in any town.
We do try our best to ensure customers are happy, and would do anything we possibly could to remedy any complaints on the spot if given the chance to. I would have been most willing to try to sort any problems out for you had I realised you were anything but happy.