“Home away from home....really????”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Pwllheli B&B and Inns
“Home away from home....really????”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Some reviews are describing here as home away from home...really???...well I don't know what squaller they live in but it's a million miles away from how my family and I live.
I can't fault the staff to be fair they were welcoming and friendly and the food was good too.
However the hotel itself was awful, we were in room number 5 the family room and supposed to be enjoying a few days away for my 30th birthday, however it had no hot shower because there was no water pressure so for the 3 mornings we were there it was either a very quick ice cold shower or sitting around waiting for all 3 of us to have baths, not good. The toilet seat was broken so when my 8 year old sat down it slid to one side, pinched all the back of her leg and she now has lovely purple bruising. There was mould on the shower screen and round the windows. I'm not sure if we were underneath or next to the room where they keep their washing machine but we were woken every morning between 7-7.30am thinking a train was going through the room, not to mention the staff stomping around on the stairs and above us and calling to one another not what you need when you have an 8 year old and you're supposed to be relaxing on holiday. The wall paper was pealing off the ceiling panels were coming down, the duvets felt like cardboard, the list goes on forever. I've been coming to Pwhelli for 30 years as I have family near by but Unfortunately it's safe to say we most definitely won't be returning to the Victoria Hotel

Stayed August 2014
8 Thank Siân W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Fully recommend a break away here. We stayed there last year and returned this year, as it has warm, friendly, welcoming staff that were very accommodating. Its in a fab location, minutes from the beach and start stroll to the shops. The rooms are spacious and immaculately clean. Will definitely return here again. Thank you

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Burry Port
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here last month, July 2014, what lovely people run this hotel, both owner Liz and her staff. Rooms were adequate and clean and the food was really great, both in the evening and for breakfast. Very good location for the sea front. Will definitely return here again.

Room Tip: Top floor is recommended.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The James Clode Band took four of it's members up to Pwllheli from Cardiff to play at the Wakestock festival. Over the previous weeks the communication from Liz was excellent (phone & Text) to make sure we were equipped with everything we needed upon arrival.

The rooms were immaculate, clean and cosy. We arrived on the Friday 11th to play the Festival. After we had performed we decided to head back to base to rest. We met up with Liz who highly recommended the beach (as the evening was a warm and a pleasant one) and so glad that she did. We took out instruments, set up a small camp fire (barely a fire due to my poor efforts) and played music on the beach under moonlight. It was magical.

After that we headed back to Liz's hotel (with bar). There, we were taken in like one of the locals. A really oldy worldy environment. Great people, a jukebox, a pool table need I say more. One of the employees (off duty at the time) kindly paid for a game of pool. He turned out to be one of the chefs at breakfast the next morning.

Breakfast was amazing. Great service with a big time smile. Most of our phones had died of battery during the day and in this instance I was glad. It took me back to a time of real communication, making me appreciate the surrounding I was in and the people I was spending time with including Liz and her team.

Thank you so much people of Pwllheli, thank you Victoria Hotel and thank you Liz & her team.

James Clode

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank James C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Cozy and comforting stay at the Vic. Liz was more than accommodating to our group and treated us to a lovely weekend in Pwllheli. Right on near the beach and about a 30 min drive to some of the most unbelievable locations in Wales.

Would definitely stay there again on a return trip. Thanks Vic Staff!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I spent a couple of nights at the Vic with my boyfriend on vacation. Liz and her staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating. The food in the restaurant/pub is delicious! I highly recommend the pork loin encrusted in mustard seed.
The rooms are quaint and comfortable with great water pressure, which is extremely important. Also the location is really nice being just a short walk from the beach and those gorgeous Welsh vistas. I truly enjoyed myself there and would love to visit again!

Mariateresa S.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This Oceanside gem is highly recommended. Upon arrival I was greeted with the most lovely staff, a great welcome to a North Wales. The beaches were absolutely stunning, a short walk from the hotel and beautiful view from my window. The room was clean and my bed was comfortable, the amenities provided were much appreciated. Bathroom was spacious and the water pressure/temp was amazing after a long day of driving. After we got settled we went downstairs and enjoyed the company of old friends and welcoming locals. Lots of laughs in the pub, played some billiards & enjoyed a great meal. The vibe of 'The Vic' was exactly what I was looking for; welcoming, cozy and memorable. Thanks for a great stay, Liz!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pwllheli
Caerwylan Hotel
#7 of 12 in Abersoch
The Egryn, Abersoch
The Egryn, Abersoch
#4 of 12 in Abersoch

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!