“Mixed review”

Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I've lived no more than 5 miles from this hotel all my life but have never been there until last night.

Location: The lane leading off the B road up to this hotel is very narrow and windy, beware. Also dangerous in bad weather - our taxi just missed a falling tree in the high winds! Please don't let this put you off though!

Service: Staff were friendly and helpful. We felt it was under-staffed though. Everything took a long time, as there seemed to only be three staff working the bar and restaurant on a busy night.

On arrival we were shown to the lounge where our drinks were brought to us, our food order taken and appetizers were served. The building is lovely, the lounge was very comfortable and the atmosphere was pleasant.

Our table was booked for 7:30pm, but sadly, although we were enjoying chatting in the lounge we were disappointed to have to go and ask someone at 8:40pm when we would be taken to the dining room. We were eventually moved to the dining room at just before 9pm, and received our starters around 20 minutes later. This was the most disappointing aspect of the evening (I had to decline dessert as I'm not very good at eating so late at night).

We received another small apetiser at the dinner table before starters, 'compliments of the chef', which was a nice touch.

Starters and main courses were very enjoyable. We were a party of 8 and nobody had any bad comments about the food, other than the main course wasn't quite substantial enough. However, for the average person I would say it was. A hungry man may find it isn't quite enough! The food was very good quality, and we hear that this restaurant use produce from their own veg garden, which is good.
Although I didn't have dessert, the others looked nice and received good reviews from my family!
The petit fours which were served with coffee after the meal, were nice :-)

Prices were on the high side of average but deservedly so, the service and food was definitely worth it.

I would say my rating of 'average' is unfair, but because we were left for so long before being taken to the dining room and everything was quite slow, I wouldn't rate it 'very good' either. The food, atmosphere, building, etc. certainly scores 'very good', but service and inaccessibility of the location would score 'average' for us.

Recommended, but book early.

1  Thank TravelingChick30

Reviewed 10 November 2012

So firstly to get to the hotel make sure you're in a 4x4 to get up the drive which is full of pot-holes. The exterior of the hotel looks very nice and there is good close parking to reception. Very welcoming on arrival and a place in the restaurant is booked. The room was ok, slightly old fashioned but quite adequate. The evening meal is a very limited choice and you have to pay £35 per person for a 3 course meal with no flexibility to have just a main. The food did taste good but wasn't worth the money.
When it comes to breakfast make sure you ask for toast and croissants as they won't be offered to you if you don't.
We stayed over a cold weekend in October and returning to our room in the evening after being out all day we arrived to wide open windows! It took about an hour to warm the room up.
On the first evening we met another 2 couples and got chatting and time flew by and suddenly at 12am we were told that the bar was being shut and we had to go to bed! No choice to even sit downstairs talking which we found very rude.
On check out we found extra drinks had been put on our bill but to their credit the hotel did remove these without argument. Overall if you have money to burn and don't want to sit up talking having a drink this place maybe ok for you but if your on a budget take some sandwiches in for your evening meal and eat in your room like we did on our second night. Rooms are clean and I found the room attendant the most polite member of the staff, she does however overdo the bleach and leaves it in the toilet which didn't bother me but my wife didn't like that.
Sorry to moan about a place in such a nice location but I like to be honest on here to help others.

1  Thank AndyT1976
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Maes-y-Neuadd is reached by driving up a long winding road. The approach could be so impressive if the garbage bins at the entrance were either empted and tidy or better still, out of sight. The hotel's drive is full of pot-holes and is better tackled by a four-by-four(how long would it take someone to rake them level?)
A good meal is as much about front of house and surrounding ambience as it is the food.
The food we had at Maes-y-Neuadd was generally excellent but the Polish/Rumanian staff,whilst polite and efficient, lacked any kind of warm,local charm. Whilst there might have been a taste of Wales on offer,there certainly wasn't a Welshman in sight.
The place wasn't full when we ate there, but couples were seated quartering on to each window bay. That would have been acceptable during the day, giving diners some sort of view, but at night, we all faced away from the centre of the dining room towards a drawn window blind which we found very odd.
We both felt there was a good kitchen but a lack of real hotel/restaurant management. Perhaps the owner has lost interest.

1  Thank Georgek9London
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We had dinner and breakfast and both were great. Tasty and well cooked food. Attentive and professional waiting staff.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

nice relaxing atmosphere, good local food well cooked, extensive wine list, well served and not over priced.