“This hotel appears to be going into a decline”

Maes-y-Neuadd Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We have been visiting Maes y Neuadd once of twice a year for the past 7 or 8 years and noticed a great drop of in standards when we went for Sunday Lunch today. On arrival we notice how badly the drive was potholed and how full of weeds the parking areas and the flower beds which immediately made us think something had changed. We were one of only 3 couples in the dining room on a Sunday Lunchtime when the last time we had Sunday Lunch there the dining room was full. There was no longer a Maitre De in evidence. In fact we only saw two young girls who were handling everything from minding the bar to waiting at table to taking our payment. This was in sharp contrast to previous visits. The food was not particularly noteworthy but there were nothing actually wrong with it. The Coffee after the meal was not filtered properly (damaged cafetiere) and when we pointed this out we simply received a sweet apology from the girl taking the money. We had a feeling that we had paid a high price for a very run of the mill meal. The decision not to go back was finally made when we were told we would have to pay £2 extra to pay by credit card. A hotel charging this much should review this policy.

4  Thank Jeff V

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Recently stayed for 2 nights. Expectations not met. Decor grubby in room, dated elsewhere. Sweat/grease stains on headboard and similar shabbiness throughout. Restaurant seems to be welll liked, however to my taste the products were a little too chefy (too many mis-matched flavour). Staff very pleasant however when I approched the owner regarding a problem I had she was quite abrupt and intransigent. Also the fire exit nearest to my room was blocked by dining table and chairs. I expect this was a wonderfull hotel a decade or so ago, things have slipped. I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family.

1  Thank Martin19Cheshire
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This was my birthday. The owner did not bother to say good evening or welcome. When we left, after dinner, which was good, he couldn't be bothered to say good night and thank you. The dining room is delightful, but was almost empty. We would not go again.

1  Thank george r
Reviewed 1 April 2013

just stayed here for 2 nights .the location was really nice ,hotel not so good bedroom :- heavy blanket on bed did not like pillows no biscuits. awful uht milk. hot water was not hot. had 1 evening meal starter nice main course not enough veg my medley of winter veg was 2 diced pieces of carrots 3 dicedpieces of turnips & a green leaf dessert ok not worth £35 so we ate out next night , so really disappointed

2  Thank geoff p
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I've lived no more than 5 miles from this hotel all my life but have never been there until last night.

Location: The lane leading off the B road up to this hotel is very narrow and windy, beware. Also dangerous in bad weather - our taxi just missed a falling tree in the high winds! Please don't let this put you off though!

Service: Staff were friendly and helpful. We felt it was under-staffed though. Everything took a long time, as there seemed to only be three staff working the bar and restaurant on a busy night.

On arrival we were shown to the lounge where our drinks were brought to us, our food order taken and appetizers were served. The building is lovely, the lounge was very comfortable and the atmosphere was pleasant.

Our table was booked for 7:30pm, but sadly, although we were enjoying chatting in the lounge we were disappointed to have to go and ask someone at 8:40pm when we would be taken to the dining room. We were eventually moved to the dining room at just before 9pm, and received our starters around 20 minutes later. This was the most disappointing aspect of the evening (I had to decline dessert as I'm not very good at eating so late at night).

We received another small apetiser at the dinner table before starters, 'compliments of the chef', which was a nice touch.

Starters and main courses were very enjoyable. We were a party of 8 and nobody had any bad comments about the food, other than the main course wasn't quite substantial enough. However, for the average person I would say it was. A hungry man may find it isn't quite enough! The food was very good quality, and we hear that this restaurant use produce from their own veg garden, which is good.
Although I didn't have dessert, the others looked nice and received good reviews from my family!
The petit fours which were served with coffee after the meal, were nice :-)

Prices were on the high side of average but deservedly so, the service and food was definitely worth it.

I would say my rating of 'average' is unfair, but because we were left for so long before being taken to the dining room and everything was quite slow, I wouldn't rate it 'very good' either. The food, atmosphere, building, etc. certainly scores 'very good', but service and inaccessibility of the location would score 'average' for us.

Recommended, but book early.

1  Thank TravelingChick30