“Closed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maes-y-Neuadd Country House Hotel & Restaurant - CLOSED

Maes-y-Neuadd Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Closed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Sadly this hotel closed in April 2014. We did not realise this in advance of our visit as there is no mention of the fact online. I hope this helps others avoid a wasted journey.

11 Thank Dieithryn

London, United Kingdom
“Confused”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm not sure what to say about this place. We spent one night in a very nice room with a view on the garden, which, for the record, is one of the most beautiful things you can see. The second night we were moved to another room in an ex-stable, I believe, because the hotel was full and we booked very late. The superior room was very nice, I include a picture here. I agree with other reviewers, this hotel could benefit from major refurbishments and so did the room. But it helped with the atmosphere, it felt like being back in time.
The second room smelled of dog, it was quite annoying. For the price we paid (around £60) I would have expected another standard. The room was also extremely cold and the mattress was so soft I still have back pain.
As for the restaurant, breakfast was extremely disappointing and not up to the standards of a 4-star hotel, croissants were a bit old, bread choice very limited, so was the jam and everything else. Dinner was alright but I had some weird polenta wedges with half a kilo of badly cooked mushrooms. I felt like all this talking about the exclusive restaurant and the delicious food was a bit too much given what we eventually got. Wine list quite limited, too.
Service was good but I wish we could have received more advice on where to go and what to do. I am not saying I was expecting a concierge service but somebody who could share a bit about the place and the activities would have been nice. Two of the flyers they had were about agencies that are not even active anymore... Just to give you an idea.
It is maybe a place that lives off its past glory. The venue is there, it is stunning, it is undeniable, the rest needs improvement if they want to live up to their prices.
Anyway, the place is amazing and I imagine they do their best. I am not sure how to rate the whole experience, I think overall it feels a bit pretentious, especially overpriced when it comes to the restaurant and some of the rooms.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Gabriele G
wales
“Don't bother!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

The only good thing about this place is the food, desperate need for a refurb, no beer on tap, expensive wine. Such a shame great potential.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dog owners beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This hotel is dog tolerant,not dog friendly. If you take your dog you will be accommodated in the converted stable block. The room we had could only be described as shabby and was, in our view, 3 star at best.

Our main cause for complaint is that dogs are not permitted to remain in rooms alone. This means that during mealtimes dogs have to be left in cars. We found it impossible to enjoy a leisurely evening meal knowing our dog was alone in a cold, dark car.We would advise against visiting this hotel with a dog between October and April unless the animal is particularly hardy.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Wwhitefoxx
London, United Kingdom
“confused, in decline, posh pub nosh with stale bread”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I've dined at this restaurant on three or four occasions over the years. On this visit, everything had changed. Where once there were six or seven courses of 'fine dining' style food, now there is a three course menu of pub food. I was pleased to note they are no longer serving the stalwart 'freeze dried' parsnip canapé - probably the worst canapé I had ever eaten - however, I was disappointed that they have been replaced with over-cooked, flavourless 'home made crisps!'

The amuse bouche was apparently a chicken kiev, only with a mushroom in the centre rather than chicken. It tasted like it had come out of a freezer. It was as greasy as it was mundane. The starter was a delicious goats cheese and fig dish, which I very much enjoyed, served with a weightless and very fresh salad. The main course was a confusing dish. It was a Chinese duck dish: beautifully cooked duck breast; delicately aromatic rice; good choice of vegetables and sauce as accompaniment. Unfortunately it was under-seasoned. I was able to sprinkle on some salt, but unfortunately not black pepper - as there was none in my pepper pot! By this time I was fatigued with the overall experience and didn't even bother to mention it. The dessert was an 'apple tarte tatin,' only without the 'e' in tarte! Either someone can't spell or it was an in-joke. It was supposed to come with hot caramel sauce and ice cream, which sounded delightful. Instead the entire plate was cold and, once again, it was quite clear to me from the taste and the temperature of the 'tatin' that it had come out of the freezer. All the flavour had been frozen out of it. V disappointing.

The worst thing all evening, however, was the bread. The bread was quite clearly not fresh. Insulting diners at a restaurant by serving them faintly stale bread is a very bad idea. I left most of the bread and mentioned to one of the waitresses that it didn't seem fresh. To my dismay she didn't even wipe the £1.50 off the bill, though I had left it and complained about it. I think this speaks volumes for where Maes-y-Neudd is headed: the standards are slipping and a few coppers are more important to them than the paying public. Whereas once this was a good local restaurant passing itself off as fine dining, it is now a mediocre local restaurant passing itself off as a pub cafeteria. Sad.

If the duck dish had been properly seasoned, the starter and main would have been very good indeed. Instead I'm left with memories of stale bread, substandard service, a pepper pot with no pepper and dishes which did not match the descriptions on the menu. It's a shame because the chef can cook and the atmosphere is excellent.

Ironically by dropping the appalling parsnip chips and replacing them with burnt potato crisps, they have managed to steal defeat from the jaws of victory and somehow made the canapés even worse, when this seemed actually impossible. The damp remains. The appalling canapés remain. And next time my money will remain deep in my pocket.

• Visited October 2013