“Nothing Special”

The Golden Fleece Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Tremadog B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Have to say I was somewhat disappointed with our recent stay at the Golden Fleece. The pub inside is very dark and gloomy, the whole of the ceiling being covered in dried Hops, a great dust trap, and lighting is very dim. Wardrobe space in our room was limited, only enough space for 4 hangers and that was your lot, okay for a weekend, but a problem if staying for any longer. The curtains were very thin, so the room was very light as soon as the sun rose, plus the mattress was too soft, but that was from a personal perspective.

Food in the restaurant was very good though, we ate here on both nights of our stay and was busy on both, especially Saturday. The steak and ale pie is highly recommended, probably the best I have ever eaten, it was that good. Breakfast was adequate, but nothing to write home about.

To sum up, The Golden Fleece markets itself as a quality, boutique style B&B, but misses the target by quite a distance, £85 per night is simply too much for what is offered. Would I stay here again, probably not, would I eat here again, most definitely.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wafto
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Erm ok, so I take it you don't like the hops on the bar ceiling? Or the atmospheric lighting? Well I can assure you that dust tends to fall and as most of it comes from us mere humans shedding skin, there shouldn't be too much of it in my hops.
The wardrobe in the room you stayed in is only a singe wardrobe however it is adequate for any one only staying a few nights and doesn't normally seem to be a problem for guests.
The curtains are dark and they are lined however I do believe after closer inspection the room could benefit from a black out blind which I'm looking into. Having said that the room is hardly lit like a stair well to heaven when the curtains are closed.
I am disappointed that your review is entitled "nothing special" as you didn't really have any complaints, you enjoyed your food stating that your steak and ale pie was probably the best you had EVER eaten.
If you do decide to stay with us again ask for one of our Madoc rooms all of which have blackout blinds and large wardrobes.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

A nice two day stay during the Number 6 Festival. Lovely room everything clean and a modern look. Had to pay for wireless internet but only £1 a day. Bathroom very small but had no issues. Breakfast was good. Parking very easy outside the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for a great review, and let me just point out that the wifi system has now been upgraded to a system where we no longer need to charge.
We hope to see you again this year for the festival!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights in September. Whilst I appreciate that the building is old, our room, No 5, was an odd shape and the wall to the right of the bed was so close that the only way my husband could exit the bed was via the foot! Also the soundproofing between neighbouring rooms was very poor. As we had booked via a third party website breakfast was not included, but was extra at £9.95 per head - bringing the total cost per night for B & B to over £100 for a couple - which was way too much for this hotel. We were not informed prior to arrival that it would not be open during the afternoon so we had great difficulty accessing the building. Problem eventually solved by a very nice man working in the Spar shop opposite, who knew who to ring! We will not be staying here again!

Room Tip: Don't book room 5!
1  Thank 807katieg
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed one night at the G.F and were very happy with our experieince. On arrival we were told our room was in the annex over the road, in some rooms recently refurbed that had been part of a quite separate hotel, which did strike a worrying note but the room was really very nice indeed and I think we may have been the first people to stay in it. Very clean, nicely furnished, quiet and good view of the square, and it was very like the others on the website so lots of character. A good hospitiality tray although missing any water glasses. We'd bought a bottle of wine and drank it from the cappuchino cups which was most amusing! We enjoyed our dinner in the restaraut very much, I had a good steak and hubby had a really excellent burger complete with home made onion rings and all the other trimmings. We also spent time in the bar. Its very cosy and has lots of atmosphere. The staff were efficient and friendly. Breakfast the next morning was rather chaotic but this was explained by the fact 2 members of staff had not turned in so one chappie was serving, cooking and taking orders! And runing up and won the stairs as the breakfast flooor was floorup from the kitchens! He did very well in the circumstances. The hot breakfast was nice, if the self service element was bit off. No butter or orange juice left but a fellow guest directed us to a fridge and we replenished things ourselves. As I say i am sure this was not usual, and the only thing I would say is that it'd be nicer if 'proper' coffee was offered, not just a machine to dispense hot water and those little sachets of Nescafe.

Room Tip: If you want the main hotel, be sure to stipulate this.
1  Thank Debbieparos

Thank you for your kind and honest review. I do apologise about breakfast being chaotic and I can assure you this situation has been resolved.
Coffee has now been changed from instant to been to cup so a much nicer offering.
We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We spent at the inn only one night of our bank holiday week-end as it was fully booked for the previous night. The staff was very friendly. Because it was 6.30 pm when we arrived, we decided to have dinner at the pub and we booked a table for the night. The restaurant room was busy and we were quite happy to have booked. When we noticed that they bake fresh pizza we couldn't resist to try some and for both of us it was a nice tasty experience. After dinner we spent the night in our comfortable double room, very tidy and of a decent size.
Breakfast next morning was ok. I hadn't eat any cooked breakfast so I can't give any judgment about how it is cooked. Instead If I can give any advice about how the breakfast moment could be improved it is to suggest to introduce a filtered coffee machine to prepare fresh coffee instead to supply the soluble one in small packets similar to the ones provided in the rooms.
If I am still around Tremadog for others weekend I'll choice this Inn for another stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you so much for your review. Im glad you enjoyed your stay with us and indulged in our pizzas which I also love!
I can confirm since you stayed with us our breakfast coffee has been changed from instant to bean to cup with fresh 100% arabica beans being used. So Next time you stay with us I'm sure you will enjoy your breakfast coffee.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had three nights here. It is in a beautiful area and Tremedog itself is a lovely little village. Our room was clean and comfortable, but the the pub itself is in desperate need of investment, particularly the bar and restaurant areas which are very dark and dingy - with a terrible smell, especially in the mornings. The bar and 'bistro' seem stuck in a 1970s time warp, and as others have commented the breakfast room's bizarre decor has to be seen to be believed. While one can put the decor down to personal taste, the breakfast room itself was inexcusably shabby and grimy. And the breakfasts very poor - cheap bacon, instant coffee. We had our first evening meal in the pub (which was OK) but subsequently ate across the square, at the far more pleasant Union Inn, which does lovely food and good ales.

The Golden Fleece staff were all pleasant, but there was a lack of communication between them and a clear lack of effective management and leadership. We were there on music night and while the music itself was fine, we were kept awake until well after 1am by people leaving the pub and standing underneath our room and chatting noisily. We had to go down to the Square and politely ask people to make less noise - and it appeared that the manager on that night was participating in the chat, with no recognition of the impact on guests. He apologised, but shortly afterwards another group of people came and sat outside and talked further. The pub itself had a selection of local ales, but the most local was 'off' on the first evening and despite being told that a new barrel would be on later that night, it still hadn't been replaced by the end of our stay. The bar staff were apologetic but again one has to wonder about the lack of effective leadership..

In summary, this is a pub that with a little care and attention, some investment and sound management could be very good. As it is we will not return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

On Thursday my girlfriend and I showed up about well after 8:30. We had been trying to find somewhere to eat. We walked in and straight away comfatable we had chose well. I asked the young woman at the bar if you were still serving food she was extremely welcoming and and explained you wereand showed us to the restaurant area at the back. The decoration and presentation of the restaurant area aswell as the pub is one of if not the best I have seen. We had two waiters and 2 waitresses working and they were very smartly dressed and extremely polite. I orded the farmhouse pizza and my girlfriend ordered a fish dish. The pizza was amazing and the same was said for the fish. Fantastic food and service in a lovely building. We own a caravan on a local haven site and have already passed your card onto two other owners. We will be visiting again soon, and would like to thank the staff for making us feel right at home. Well done to the management. Lovely place.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank rivers1983
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for a lovely review and thanks for recommending us to your friends!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremadog
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel
#4 of 6 in Criccieth
Plas Tan-Yr-Allt
Plas Tan-Yr-Allt
#1 of 5 in Tremadog

Been to The Golden Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!