The Golden Fleece Inn
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel(Porthmadog)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$130
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsthe pubpuddingsunday lunchlasagnasteak and ale piebooked a tableboth nightsfollowing morninglovely mealmain buildingreal alewould stay againcooked breakfastfish and chipsroaring fireseparate buildingcomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We popped in here for lunch, the last time I was here was about 25 years ago. I loved it. Rustic, charming, great cave-like area behind bar and the chap serving was helpful and charming. We had a fab burger and a bacon and Brie sandwich - both delicious. If you are looking cheap pub meal, this isn't it, but we thought it was excellent for the price and will definitely go back if in area.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Elizabeth G
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you returned to us after 25 years! And I'm glad you enjoyed the meals.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Kind Regards
Stuart and the team

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We had a fantastic evening, great service, great food and a friendly atmosphere! Loved the vaulted bar leading to a modern bistro.
We have found really good food hard to find in this area. I would recommend the food to anyone!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Balmydayz
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again.
Kind Regards
Stuart and the team

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Ok food but price not justifiable. Not many decent places to eat in port or tremadog, the fleece just do exactly that fleece you, just as well off in the tafarn glanaber, cheaper and bigger meals but just take your antibacterial gel with you and you'll be fine. Sorry fleece, sort the fresh cooked meals out not fresh frozen.....

Stayed: September 2013
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

If you had reviewed us 13 years ago as I took over the business from the previous owner I would have agreed with you as most of the food the chefs bought in was frozen.
However 13 years later things couldn't be more different. I can assure you you have not eaten a frozen microwave meal in my pub!
Our food is prepared freshly, we cook from fresh not frozen and you certainly won't need antibacterial hand gel here.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

This pubs website is titled the perfect pub. While nice, I'd say this is stretching the defenition somewhat!

As a local, we try lots of pubs in the area - and have been to the Fleece several times in the last 8 years, seen managers come & go, menus & themes change. At present the layout is still the same but with an improved courtyard area out the back.

The pubs "plus" points are also its "minus" points. the main bar area is intimate & cosy with an open log burner in the winter. However its no good for groups of more than 4 as its too cramped. The courtyard area is too cold in winter, altough they have added a roof.

My main gripe with this place are the prices. The food is just pub food, nothing special, yet you can eat in a restaurant with better food for the same or less. A pint of Peroni lager is £4.40 ??? When I visit family / friends in London I don't pay this! - extortionate.... hence the name "Fleece" is quite appropriate!

There seems to be a stock reply from the owners that they aren't the cheapest, and don't want to be. Thats fine - but then you have to offer something above & beyond the basics to justify this statement and the prices charged - given the food on offer and the selection of beers I find this statement quite arrogant.

As for using local ingredients, this isn't a USP as every pub / restaurant we go to in the area uses locally sourced produce - we live in an area that offers some of the best produce anywhere, so to use this as an excuse to charge more than everyone else just isn't justified - because everyone else worth their salt does to!!

Music nights quite good fun, but other than that, this place has an over inflated opinion of itself which is not warranted. OK for the odd drink, but you can have nights out for much better value.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Have to say I was somewhat disappointed with our recent stay at the Golden Fleece. The pub inside is very dark and gloomy, the whole of the ceiling being covered in dried Hops, a great dust trap, and lighting is very dim. Wardrobe space in our room was limited, only enough space for 4 hangers and that was your lot, okay for a weekend, but a problem if staying for any longer. The curtains were very thin, so the room was very light as soon as the sun rose, plus the mattress was too soft, but that was from a personal perspective.

Food in the restaurant was very good though, we ate here on both nights of our stay and was busy on both, especially Saturday. The steak and ale pie is highly recommended, probably the best I have ever eaten, it was that good. Breakfast was adequate, but nothing to write home about.

To sum up, The Golden Fleece markets itself as a quality, boutique style B&B, but misses the target by quite a distance, £85 per night is simply too much for what is offered. Would I stay here again, probably not, would I eat here again, most definitely.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wafto

Erm ok, so I take it you don't like the hops on the bar ceiling? Or the atmospheric lighting? Well I can assure you that dust tends to fall and as most of it comes from us mere humans shedding skin, there shouldn't be too much of it in my hops.
The wardrobe in the room you stayed in is only a singe wardrobe however it is adequate for any one only staying a few nights and doesn't normally seem to be a problem for guests.
The curtains are dark and they are lined however I do believe after closer inspection the room could benefit from a black out blind which I'm looking into. Having said that the room is hardly lit like a stair well to heaven when the curtains are closed.
I am disappointed that your review is entitled "nothing special" as you didn't really have any complaints, you enjoyed your food stating that your steak and ale pie was probably the best you had EVER eaten.
If you do decide to stay with us again ask for one of our Madoc rooms all of which have blackout blinds and large wardrobes.