“A MAGICAL VILLAGE AND A GREAT PUB” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Golden Fleece Inn

The Golden Fleece Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Tremadog B&B and Inns
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“A MAGICAL VILLAGE AND A GREAT PUB”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We arrived in the Village to find Christmas in full swing, trees and lights all going up.
The pub was just the same roaring fire and all trimmed up.
Our room was great warm clean and with a huge bed.
Excellent food service for our evening meal, and a great breakfast in the morning.
We have had a lovely weekend thanks very much.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay in the next few weeks ask for a room away from the pub as the Christmas party...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thanks for reviewing us.
As I'm sure you guessed I do enjoy decorating the pub for christmas and in recent years I have been lucky enough to work with are neighbours at the restaurant and other locals to get funding together for decorating the village.
Further more we now have a Christmas fair which did this year for the 2nd year running. We are fortunate enough to have the backing of the locals and the council who allow us to close the square down to traffic and put on a lovely fair with gift stalls kids rides and much much more.
We also have a summer fair in September and these are great weekends to come and stay as the village really comes alive and quite special.
We hope to see you soon. This years summer fair is Saturday September the 13th and the Christmas Fair will be held on Saturday November the 29th.
Stuart and all the Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

On arrival the small village of Tremadog looks lovey with its square and old stone buildings. We went into the Pub to book in and collect our room keys after being shown to the room that was the last we heard/ saw of any staff for the evening. The room itself was across the square in another building, 2 flights of stairs later we were at our room. The room itself was well decorated and looked clean and cosy accompanied by an en-suite bathroom. As we were trying to wind down after a long drive we decided to have a drink and watch tv for a while. This was short lived as the tv signal kept going on and off and the bass from the resident in the room above was so loud we soon gave up on the idea. We decided to venture into Portmadog for something to eat as the Fleece was packed out. On returning to the room around 10:30pm we both just wanted to go to sleep...However we were woken up several times by noise from other guests until 4.40am, this accompanied by a hard uncomfortable mattress left us less than refreshed the following morning. Due to this we chose not to stay for the £9.99 per head breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SR1922013
Let me start by saying I am sorry that you left us feeling disappointed.
As we were unaware of any noise coming from the room above you we were obviously unable to request the residents in question to lower what ever "base" noise they were creating.
The Fleece is a popular food and drinking venue and we are consistently fully booked so if you wish to dine with us a reservation is always recommended.
The mattresses we provide guests with are top quality hand made British mattresses and I would possibly suggest that the firmness of a mattress is down to personal preference.
Again I can only apologise for residents waking you up and I can only reassure you that this is not a complaint I normally receive, If you had of made us swear of this we could have sent a member of staff to deal with the situation.
Breakfast is actually priced at £7.95 and I'm sorry you missed it. Had I have know of your misfortune I would have offered this free of charge along with some strong coffee to help you on the road home.
I do hope you will give us another try and return in the future, maybe I can get you that coffee!
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

This is a great place to visit. I have reviewed lots of hotels and restaurants and this is a little gem.

I was visiting Portmeirion for a wedding and my parents stayed here. I ate in the Fleece restaurant with them on Friday night and joined them for breakfast on Sunday morning. The Inn was buzzing on Friday night. I loved the feel of the place - stone Walls, low ceilings but bags and bags of style. The lighting is cozy, music not too loud, staff were 'very' pleasant and our food arrived hot and quickly.

The menu was very good and this is a place that takes customer satisfaction very seriously. I asked for a salad that was lain because I didn't fancy any of the salads on the menu and the chef was so happy to accommodate my fussy request that he even popped out to ask if I would like to add some extra ingredients to jazz it up a bit!! Wow!! I ended up with my perfect salad, totally off piste and I will remember that because it really shows how much service and the customer really is at the heart of everything at the Fleece.

Just to show that this wasn't a one off I experienced the same warmth from hotel staff at breakfast. I wasn't booked into a room here but when I joined my parents for their breakfast on Sunday morning I was offered a coffee and made to feel very welcome.

The location of The Flee is great, very close to Portmeirion, the coast and woodland walks. There is a spa supermarket in walking distance and a number of lovely villages are close by to explore.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review. We are glad that you and your parents enjoyed our hospitality.
Guests are always welcome to bring someone else along to breakfast, we are here to meet the guests requirements and I'd like to think we would accommodate most requests. We hope to welcome you back this year.
Kind regards
harrogate
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

stopped in room 1 which was a double..in fact it was 2 single bed pushed together...room was clean and very well presented and lovely and warm...ensuite was clean although no plug for the sink...on arriving at the pub they had difficulty trying to give me an invoice and a copy of credit card receipt having run it through the system when booking..ate in the bar and food was lovely and also wifi was good in the room...main issue i had was that locals continued drinking in the bar downstairs till after 1.00am in the morning and then would come out to smoke directly under my bedroom and could be heard chatting..yes i know it is a pub which does b+b but some people would like to sleep

Room Tip: a room away from the front
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jetboot
Thanks for your review. Room 1 in the Fleece can be configured as a twin or a double, the bed is known as a zip lock, it zips up turning the 2 mattresses into one. Zip lock beds are very standard in hotels and I do hope you found the bed comfy.
I'm sorry you were kept awake by the customers in the pub,we are not a raucous venue so I take it your a light sleeper therefore if you do decide to return I would suggest you request one of our madoc rooms which are located away from the pub itself.
I'm not sure what happened with the invoice at this point as I'm replying to this weeks later however I shall make sure that I run through the system again with all staff.
The plug has since been replaced.
Porthmadog, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Not a bad pub, not bad food,
Ok if you want a pint and ok if you want to eat
Been several times and don't have a bad word to say really. But never excited or leave feeling totally satisfied. Tremadog Tuesdays with the music, good fun old folk music,
Would recommend
Would go again
But not for a special occasion

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Craig2504
Thanks for reviewing us. We are about to launch our spring menu so hopeful there will be some thing to excite you on that.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We popped in here for lunch, the last time I was here was about 25 years ago. I loved it. Rustic, charming, great cave-like area behind bar and the chap serving was helpful and charming. We had a fab burger and a bacon and Brie sandwich - both delicious. If you are looking cheap pub meal, this isn't it, but we thought it was excellent for the price and will definitely go back if in area.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth G
Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you returned to us after 25 years! And I'm glad you enjoyed the meals.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Stuart and the team
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We had a fantastic evening, great service, great food and a friendly atmosphere! Loved the vaulted bar leading to a modern bistro.
We have found really good food hard to find in this area. I would recommend the food to anyone!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Balmydayz
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again.
Stuart and the team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremadog
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#1 of 7 in Porthmadog
Plas Tan-Yr-Allt
Plas Tan-Yr-Allt
#1 of 5 in Tremadog

Been to The Golden Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!