“First Weekend Away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Tremadog B&B and Inns
Carmarthen, Wales, United Kingdom
“First Weekend Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had originally booked an alternative through groupon but the other hotel didn't have our required dates, this was our second choice, but by no means "second the best". Check in wasn't as easy as it could have been(Bookings.com advised check-in was between 2-10pm, but the pub doesn't actually open until 5pm, something I'd advised other travellers to be aware of considering we arrived at 4.30pm ) Check-in was easy and we weren't disappointed (I'd request room 4 again as it was beautifully decorated). We stayed off site in the Royal Maddoc Hotel.
My only issue with the room was that the bin wasn't emptied & the toilet made an awful sound. Both nights we ate at the pub, and the food was absolutely gorgeous, I had the Barolo burger on the second night & chicken on the first, and I wasn't disappointed, my boyfriend had the cod on the first night(which he couldn't finish) and steak on the second both of which he loved. The pub had a really welcoming feel and we were made very welcome. Relaxing with a glass of wine by the fire was just a perfect end to the day. For a first time weekend away with my boyfriend, it was the perfect choice, I cant wait to return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thanks for reviewing us. I'm glad you chose to stay with us. We do close during the quiet season between 2.30 & 5pm however the out of hours check in numbers are displayed in our menu box next to the front door and it is printed on the confirmation we email.
I have passed on the issues you experienced to housekeeping and I hope this won't be a problem going forward.
There was an issue with the toilet pump which we have since had maintenance resolve, I do apologise for the unusually loud noise however I'm glad It didn't spoilt your stay.
The Barolo burger and the Jumbo cod are both best sellers and I'm glad you enjoyed them.
We hope to see you return this year.
Stuart and the Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I booked two nights as a solo traveller (Christmas Eve and Christmas Day) while visiting family in the area. I arrived in the early evening and the lady behind the bar took me to my room - in a separate building on the square! My room was not big but it was immaculate and very well appointed. Plenty of tea and coffee (and nice biccies). The bed was gloriously comfortable and the bedding was gorgeous. I didn't eat at the hotel (but was tempted). It was a pity that I had no information in the room regarding meals or local attractions but these were minor omissions. Checking out was slightly bizarre - only the chef was around so I ended up leaving my contact details (they did have my credit card details).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review.
New comprehensive guest folders have been added in to the Madoc rooms something which was as you say lacking but has now been addressed. The chef also now knows how to operate the booking system (he was new and I had to rush to town to retrieve an item for maintenance and unfortunately you came to pay in the 20 min I was gone for).
You should have gave in to temptation and come over for something to eat! Our menu is created using fresh local produce and our team are passionate about the food they create, you would have enjoyed it!
We hope to see you again soon!
Stuart and the team
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Loads of atmosphere downstairs in the bar and upstairs in the bedroom. Rooms decorated with a flourish of decadence. Shower cubicle a bit old but heh, soap the nicest I've ever had. Bar served a couple of local brewery beers along with excellent food from their varied menu. Stayed two nights without the need to go out looking for anywhere else to spend the evenings. Breakfast did not disappoint....fresh fruits, superb local yoghurts, everything you'd want for in the cooked breakfast but more importantly my vegetarian breakfast was well worth getting up for. We had to leave early on the 2nd morning and the chef accommodated us by starting a bit earlier and making sure we had a full breakfast before we left. Thank you.

Room Tip: Room at the front above entrance very good size etc but often load noise beneath bedroom window from...
1 Thank Audegirl
Thank you for your review.
I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. If you want a room away from the front of the Fleece next time you come ask for one of our Madoc rooms. Perhaps even upgrade to one of our executive King size rooms they really are a joy to stay in!
Look forwards to welcoming you back soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Great pub but distinctly average accommodation... situated in a picturesque square, well decorated with a lovely Christmas atmosphere.... accommodation is situated in a separate building to the pub with a feeling that you are rather isolated... ostensibly the bedroom (advertised as executive double) looked great although as the night progressed lots of faults..... no tv remote control (and not connected to aerial when manual controls used), a toilet that stopped flushing (to their credit this was repaired quickly), paper thin walls where you can hear EVERYTHING your neighbour's are doing & a strange banging noise at night (after 2 hours of being kept awake eventually tracked down to a loose window).... overall disappointing and wouldn't rush back.... value for money disappointing...I'd always pay a small premium to a local establishment (above a chain hotel) for perceived better quality & service... this time probably made a mistake....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul T
Thanks for reviewing us. I'm sorry you felt your experience was just average. Im glad you enjoyed the christmas atmosphere, Tremadog really is fabulous at Christmas time isn't it?
I am sorry your TV remote seemed to have walked form the room!
I have now added this to the checklist that the housekeepers have so we will know if one has gone missing. I would however have gone and retrieved a generic one for all remote had you have noticed / reported this early enough in the day for me to get to the shops.
I haven't previously received any complaints about noise traveling through the walls in the madoc building in the fashion you describe so this is something I shall monitor.
I do feel we offer good value for money and I check our prices against our competitors on a daily basis to ensure we are competitively priced.
I do hope you will return at some point in the future.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We arrived in the Village to find Christmas in full swing, trees and lights all going up.
The pub was just the same roaring fire and all trimmed up.
Our room was great warm clean and with a huge bed.
Excellent food service for our evening meal, and a great breakfast in the morning.
We have had a lovely weekend thanks very much.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay in the next few weeks ask for a room away from the pub as the Christmas party...
Thanks for reviewing us.
As I'm sure you guessed I do enjoy decorating the pub for christmas and in recent years I have been lucky enough to work with are neighbours at the restaurant and other locals to get funding together for decorating the village.
Further more we now have a Christmas fair which did this year for the 2nd year running. We are fortunate enough to have the backing of the locals and the council who allow us to close the square down to traffic and put on a lovely fair with gift stalls kids rides and much much more.
We also have a summer fair in September and these are great weekends to come and stay as the village really comes alive and quite special.
We hope to see you soon. This years summer fair is Saturday September the 13th and the Christmas Fair will be held on Saturday November the 29th.
Stuart and all the Team
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

On arrival the small village of Tremadog looks lovey with its square and old stone buildings. We went into the Pub to book in and collect our room keys after being shown to the room that was the last we heard/ saw of any staff for the evening. The room itself was across the square in another building, 2 flights of stairs later we were at our room. The room itself was well decorated and looked clean and cosy accompanied by an en-suite bathroom. As we were trying to wind down after a long drive we decided to have a drink and watch tv for a while. This was short lived as the tv signal kept going on and off and the bass from the resident in the room above was so loud we soon gave up on the idea. We decided to venture into Portmadog for something to eat as the Fleece was packed out. On returning to the room around 10:30pm we both just wanted to go to sleep...However we were woken up several times by noise from other guests until 4.40am, this accompanied by a hard uncomfortable mattress left us less than refreshed the following morning. Due to this we chose not to stay for the £9.99 per head breakfast.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SR1922013
Let me start by saying I am sorry that you left us feeling disappointed.
As we were unaware of any noise coming from the room above you we were obviously unable to request the residents in question to lower what ever "base" noise they were creating.
The Fleece is a popular food and drinking venue and we are consistently fully booked so if you wish to dine with us a reservation is always recommended.
The mattresses we provide guests with are top quality hand made British mattresses and I would possibly suggest that the firmness of a mattress is down to personal preference.
Again I can only apologise for residents waking you up and I can only reassure you that this is not a complaint I normally receive, If you had of made us swear of this we could have sent a member of staff to deal with the situation.
Breakfast is actually priced at £7.95 and I'm sorry you missed it. Had I have know of your misfortune I would have offered this free of charge along with some strong coffee to help you on the road home.
I do hope you will give us another try and return in the future, maybe I can get you that coffee!
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

This is a great place to visit. I have reviewed lots of hotels and restaurants and this is a little gem.

I was visiting Portmeirion for a wedding and my parents stayed here. I ate in the Fleece restaurant with them on Friday night and joined them for breakfast on Sunday morning. The Inn was buzzing on Friday night. I loved the feel of the place - stone Walls, low ceilings but bags and bags of style. The lighting is cozy, music not too loud, staff were 'very' pleasant and our food arrived hot and quickly.

The menu was very good and this is a place that takes customer satisfaction very seriously. I asked for a salad that was lain because I didn't fancy any of the salads on the menu and the chef was so happy to accommodate my fussy request that he even popped out to ask if I would like to add some extra ingredients to jazz it up a bit!! Wow!! I ended up with my perfect salad, totally off piste and I will remember that because it really shows how much service and the customer really is at the heart of everything at the Fleece.

Just to show that this wasn't a one off I experienced the same warmth from hotel staff at breakfast. I wasn't booked into a room here but when I joined my parents for their breakfast on Sunday morning I was offered a coffee and made to feel very welcome.

The location of The Flee is great, very close to Portmeirion, the coast and woodland walks. There is a spa supermarket in walking distance and a number of lovely villages are close by to explore.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review. We are glad that you and your parents enjoyed our hospitality.
Guests are always welcome to bring someone else along to breakfast, we are here to meet the guests requirements and I'd like to think we would accommodate most requests. We hope to welcome you back this year.
Kind regards
Stuart and the Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremadog
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#1 of 6 in Criccieth
Tudor Lodge
Tudor Lodge
#1 of 12 in Porthmadog

Been to The Golden Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!