“We keep trying !!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Tremadog B&B and Inns
Telford
“We keep trying !!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have been to eat in this restaurant a handful of times over a two year period, as we own a caravan near by. The food and menu is great :) however, the service is dire , and spoils the whole experience .

On this visit, when we arrived it was quiet, 5.45pm, and we finally thought we may reach the pudding course before getting so fed up with the wait we buy a 'pudding' in the Spar shop opposite.

We placed our order and the food appeared to be coming out at a quiet rate and slowly the restaurant filled up, 15 minutes after we arrived a party of 5 appeared and were ushered upstairs to a different dining area. After a 40 minute wait, I asked a passing waitress could she find out where our food was please (our jug of water never did arrive). She appeared holding plates 10 minutes later but they were for the party upstairs, who had arrived after us!

Upset by this, with two hungry children, one near to tears, I approached the bar to ask the waitress to check where our food was, and to ask why a party who had arrived 15 minutes after us were served first. I went a step further on this visit and made it clear I would not be paying the full amount on this occasion. My husband had already been to the bar and bought another round of drinks as we had sat for so long.

Our food arrived nearly an hour after we first ordered it, we ate and left. When we were given the bill we were told our drinks had been taken off the bill and that the other party's food only came out 5 minutes before us.

This is such a shame as their bitter is well kept and the food really is lovely but these prolonged waits in a quiet restaurant, really isn't acceptable and makes for a tense miserable meal .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SianTelford
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Your review is a little misleading. You were served after the table upstairs as they had pre-ordered their food, (any groups of 10 or more are normally asked to pre-order as otherwise it can slow service).
This was explained to you and AT NO POINT did you state that you were not paying the full price for your meal. While I apologise that you waited for food it was not the romanticised version of events that you have written.
I would like to explain (not excuse) the slower than normal wait. We had just lost 2 full time chefs from our team which meant we were not able to open our second kitchen section which speeds up service no end.
On the plus side I'm glad you consider the pub to be well kept and that the food is lovely. I hope next time you visit us you will notice less of a wait as we are now fully staffed.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed at additional rooms at Royal Madoc Arms hotel across the street. Room was clean and tidy. Bar food was expensive. Real ale - there was only one available, not very good and expensive at £3.40 a pint. Breakfast was disgraceful - 40 minute wait between ordering and cooked breakfast arriving. The waiter didn't write the order down and had to come back and ask how we wanted our eggs cooking again and then didn't get the order right. The breakfasts were cooked to order and we had to sit and wait while 5 people in front of us were served, however the sausage was pink / raw / not cooked in the centre on both my breakfast and my fiancee's. My fiancee was sick shortly afterwards and I had an upset stomach and was off work for 2 days. We left a day early due to this reason. I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me to.

Room Tip: Room 6 wardrobe smells funny. Avoid the sausage.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alastair_WR1
Whilst I'm sorry that you found your sausage wasn't cooked properly I'm perplexed as to why you would continue to eat it especially given as you were so concerned and aware about its color that you needed to photograph it for your review?
Did you not think perhaps to ask a waiter if they could get you a replacement sausage? It would seem an obvious thing to do wouldn't it?
If I was aware something wasn't cooked I wouldn't continue to eat it and would consider any one who would to be rather stupid.
You say you left a day early and then your fiancee was off work for 2 days? It really doesn't add up does it? By this information one would conclude he was sick for 3 days? From a sausage? How much of your review is true? And to be honest that doesn't look like one of my butchers sausages!
Swansea
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, superb food, both evening and breakfast, excellent staff, great prices, but don't book for a Tuesday night as there is live music and it could keep you awake until midnight as it did for us and our young son. Quiet village location. Parking could have been better

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Scott C
Thank you for your review, If you want to stay on a Tuesday again we offer other rooms located in separate buildings away from the pub this could be a good option for you.
We are a pub and I would urge all customers staying here to keep this in mind when booking.

Although we do have live acoustic music on a Tuesday I don't recall having a complaint about this before in fact most of our guests are normally in the bar and the music finishes for midnight.
I don't understand your comments about parking as the entire village (including all the space outside the pub) has free parking for 100's of cars?
Kind regards
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was recently staying near by, and stumbled across this beautiful, characteristic inn. Having seen that they had a variety of meal in the day to evening, I was eager to try. The curry of the day was Lamb Madras, and boy was it the best I have tasted in wales. I went back the following day to have the Curry of the Day again, which was the madras and did not fail to meet my saudi arabian taste buds. A beautiful delight place and great staff. My compliments to the chef.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for the Great review!
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We have just return from a 3 day stay at the Golden Fleece hotel in Tremadog North Wales...
I would just like to thank Stuart and his team for a wonderful stay; nothing was too much trouble for them. Steven went out of his way to find detail on days out we had wanted to do and printed copies of the details.

Our room No2 in the main pub build was very clean with everything you would require for your stay,Tea, Coffee, Chocolate, Bottle water, Biscuits. No faults in the room what so ever, everything in good working order.
Breakfast is a must have, good home cooking or continental, it’s up to you, it is first class.

We had evening meal each night, lots of home cooking. The Sunday Roast is just fab.
Tuesday evening you are entertained from 9 o’clock with local acoustic musicians round the open fire, with a pint of real ale. What more would you want, thank you all very much, we will be come back up to the Golden Fleece if not in the summer it will be next spring...
Mike & Janette Tarr

3 Thank michael t
Thank you for your review, we look forwards to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We had a great weekend away here. Tremadog is tiny (2 pubs, a chippy, a cafe and and a spar all within a 1 minute walk of each other across a square). But its a perfect base for exploring Port Meirion and Snowdonia.

We stayed over the road from the pub in the converted Madoc (ask for this if its available). The rooms were compact but cute with modern decoration, nice furniture and whopping TV on the wall.

Make sure you eat (and drink) in the pub, the food is good (garlic mushrooms a must). The staff were friendly and also helpful with regards to tourism choices. The building itself has real character.

Only (small) points for improvement was that the continental breakfast was a bit bland. Perhaps a few bowls of dried fruit, some cheese and ham would make the difference and not break the bank. Also - maybe change the air fresher in the rooms, the current one can be misconstrued for something else.

But overall - loved it and cant wait to come back again.

Room Tip: Aim for the Madoc rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a lovely review!
Herefordshire
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned to reality after a two night stay at The Golden Fleece. The location of the pub is ideal for exploring North Wales with Portmeirion being about 5 minutes away and Snowdon about 40 minutes drive. Had the weather been a bit kinder to us I'm sure Porthmadog (about 2 minute drive) would be lovely to look around too.
We were staying in the Royal Madoc building and found our room clean, warm and very PEACEFUL. The bed was very comfortable - we're missing it. The decor is modern and simple - very fresh.
Both evenings we dined at The Golden Fleece as it really is a delightful pub. Roaring log fires, comfortable and snug seating areas and popular with locals. Both nights our meals were lovely with good portions so unfortunately we didn't get to sample the puddings. The Specials menu was tweaked each evening so there was plenty of variety. We chose the recommended Malbec wine and we're not disappointed - thank you Stuart. My husband enjoyed the real ales. If there was an 'ideal model' for country pubs to replicate then The Golden Fleece has pretty much nailed it.
Breakfast was also a treat. Cooked breakfast (meaty or vegetarian), kippers with parsley bitter and lemon, porridge, fresh croissants and a breakfast buffet all on offer. As much as I wanted the kippers on our second morning the cooked breakfast had been SO lovely that I had that again!
Everything, right down to the napkins, is of a high quality standard. They are not scrimping here. Stuart, and all other staff we met, was friendly, warm and attentive. It was an ideal weekend retreat for us. My only (girlie) suggestion would be that I'd like a full length mirror in the bedroom.
We would most definitely return and whole-heartedly recommend to friends and family. Delightful stay.

2 Thank 007tortoise
A fabulous review. Thank you so much.
Stuart and the Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremadog
Royal Sportsman Hotel
Bryn Eglwys Country House Hotel
Tudor Lodge
Tudor Lodge
#1 of 12 in Porthmadog

Been to The Golden Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!