“A hidden gem of a place!”

The Golden Fleece Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Tremadog B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A last minute two-night break to re-charge batteries in Wales resulted in us finding a very friendly pub/inn as a base to look around the area. The staff were lovely - very friendly,nothing too much trouble and our bedroom was spacious, clean and newly refurbished with attention to detail. We chose to eat in the restaurant on the Tuesday evening and we were delighted to discover there was live music - a jamming session of acoustic musicians plus a couple of young chaps who were visiting the Inn who had brought their guitars. Our evening meals were superb - especially the fried Butterfly Breaded King Prawns with BBQ sauce, mixed salad and fries. We sent our compliments to the chef asking how the prawns had been dusted - but it was a secret recipe. BUT, the secret is definitely the Chef's background and where he/she has worked over the years! We'll definitely return in the future and enjoy the newly refurbished beer garden to enjoy more Welsh real ales.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us!
I'm glad you enjoyed everything we had to offer you as guests, our aim is that everyone enjoys their stay as you did and its always great to hear back from guests.
You'll be pleased to hear our beer garden is now open and is shaping up nicely with just a few finishing touches to add.
Don't forget to book direct for our best rate including breakfast!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our stay in the golden fleece was disappointing, the cleanliness wasn't great in the room and bathroom, only curtains on window but as the street lighting is very bright it seemed like daytime even at 2am. The food isn't great and over priced, under staffed at breakfast time, the 2nd morning we left the restaurant with no breakfast as even after 10mins we didn't even have coffee
We will not be back!

Room Tip: Website looks better than actual place
3  Thank Andy523

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here with us. As I understand it you were on a tight schedule and even though you requested a early breakfast you turned up late hence you weren't able to eat because you were late!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The hotel itself is charming and the rooms were very spacious, very clean and with all the amenities you'd need all in a picturesque setting. I'd definitely recommend staying here and would stay again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for a lovely little review, I do hope if your planning another visit to Wales you will chose to stay with us again.
Remember the best rate is always obtained by booking direct and its the only rate that includes breakfast.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I should start by saying that the best thing about this place are the staff, from the bar staff through the restaurant staff to the breakfast staff, they were all superb. Never 'in your face' attentive but always available if required and nothing too much trouble.
We stayed in the Madoc across the way from the main building, rooms newly refurbed and very comfy - they are in the process of doing the communal areas and when this is complete it will be superb.
The bar had some excellent Welsh real ales (the Felinfoel is wonderful) with a good atmosphere, enhanced by dried hops hanging from the ceiling and the food in the restaurant was very good. The waiter was extremely helpful and happy to advise if asked and the advice was good. My wife was undecided between new potatoes or chips to go with her meal but eventually opted for new potatoes - when the meal arrived a few chips had also been included, a nice touch.
We will definitely be returning and when the refurb is fully completed it will certainly score an excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forwards to welcoming you back in the near future.
Remember to book direct for the best rate also the only rate to include breakfast!
Kind regards

Reviewed 5 July 2014

A very clean, traditional pub. An excellent well stocked bar and a relaxing atmosphere with ambient decor.very friendly and helpful staff, nothing is too much trouble for them when ordering your meal. My wife asked on a few occasions if they could prepare her a fish that wasn't on the menu and they obliged. An excellent varied choice of food and the quality was outstanding, everything is freshly prepared, well worth a visit, we will be going back, I highly recommend it

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you enjoyed meals, our skilled chefs are always happy to adapt our menu offering for any of our customers as long as we have the ingredients in we will do our best to meet any request.
We look forwards to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed with my wife at the Fleece earlier this week, it is an old fashioned Welsh stone Built Pub and Hotel and the owner Stuart is making a great effort to make it a visit that is all you might expect. We were put into the building across the road, The Royal Madoc, which is currently being refurbished and duly shows some disruption to parts of it. However the room we had has been completed and i understand all the rooms have had their refurbishment done. It was spotless and the quality of the linen and towels told their own story. The staff are fabulous friendly, knowledgable but easy to talk to. We ate on two evenings and were not disappointed, the Fish was succulent and cooked to perfection and it is clear that Stuart runs a good kitchen. The restaurant are has been beautifully updated with some nice touches. The orangery roof over the larger table area is just right. I had a nice conversation with Stuart about wines having sampled a glass off the Pinotage, which was excellent. I left him some recommendations prompted by the unusual light under which we sat that has lovely decorated wine bottles mounted on it. I hope he is able to introduce my suggestions, they will go well with that light. Further, the location is ideal for the North Wales coast and Snowdonia and in particular its proximity to Portmerion, which is delightful and unmissable (if you are not a grump like some previous dead head reviewers). If you want the Park Lane Hilton -go there!!! Well done Stuart and the staff we would hope to return. If people have problems they should speak up and i am pretty sure this team would respond in the right manner to help them.

Room Tip: I have only tried one, how can I choose. However I would say if there is something specific, talk to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hazzer848
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your lovely review. I received your your wine recommendations and I shall enjoy sampling them once I track some down.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our teams hospitality.
We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

A colleague and I stayed here for one night on a recent business trip, it was interesting to be shown across the road to our accommodation where they are obviously renovating an old hotel, the entrance was a bit offputting but my room was newly decorated and very clean and comfortable. My colleagues room was similar but quite small. We went across to the inn for our evening meal, I had fish and chips and my colleague had a burger, the food was beautiful but the dining chairs are incredibly uncomfortable (we tried several). A folk band in the restaurant area rounded of the evening. Breakfast in the morning was ok but the earliest is 8am which is a little late for business travel, we were told we could have a continental style breakfast left outstide our room if we wanted breakfast earlier. We chose the full breakfast option and arrived at the inn by 8am, it was a little while before our order was taken and the food (good) arrived around 8:35.

I would stay again but really would like an earlier breakfast

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for your honest review.
We are as you correctly state currently renovating the Royal Madoc Hotel at the moment. All the rooms currently in service there have been refurbished and you rightly point out that the entrance reception area hasn't yet been done. This is something we will be doing in the very near future and I fully take on board your comments.
I do agree we could offer an earlier breakfast for guests and this is something I am going to look at with some urgency as it seems to be a reoccurring comment.
Funnily enough we are currently looking at purchasing some new chairs for the dining room.
I'm glad you enjoyed your overall stay and I hope to see you again.
Stuart and the team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremadog
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel
#2 of 6 in Criccieth
Tudor Lodge
Tudor Lodge
#2 of 12 in Porthmadog

Been to The Golden Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!