“We love this place!”

The Golden Fleece Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Tremadog B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We visited the Golden Fleece last year and it was top of our revisit list for dinner this year. Beautiful interior, wonderful staff and simply delightful food. Our little boy was too tired to eat his meal but the staff made such a fuss of him and very kindly boxed his meal up for us to take back to our accomodation. Our meals were brought out nice and quickly and were just perfect...I had the moroccan spiced lamb and could have eaten it all over again. The presentation is also immaculate. We'll be back again one day!

• Stayed: August 2014
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thanks for your lovely feed back!
We will look forwards to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice Inn I have to agree with other travellers when they say it's a little pricey to stay here. Beds were very comfortable... Everything was clean. Had the little extras like biscuits, hot chocolate and water which was replenished both days. Bar was very busy and friendly. Menu choice wasn't great especially for vegetarians. Nice little town. Overall good stay so thank you

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank cherrydroplet

Thanks for your feed back, please understand that the price you paid reflects that you have booked during the summer season, this is a peak trading time and prices reflect this across the whole area not just our selves,
We are always willing to offer a wider choice for vegetarians, if you stay / dine with us again its worth asking the waitress to inquire about further options. The same can be said for any one with a particular dietary requirement, we are hear to please and if we can will will.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We found the golden fleece by chance while holidaying in the area this week. The bar was busy and every table full. We ordered a meal from the bar menu as the restaurant was full and I have to say the meal was delicious and well exceeded our expectations
The staff were very friendly and attentive, we will definitely pay another visit if we are in the area again,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Theresa J

Thank you for a fabulous review, I pleased to hear you enjoyed everything. If you are visiting the area again in the future don't forget we offer great accommodation too!
The best prices for our B&B are available direct through our own website and include breakfast (agents don't).

Reviewed 14 August 2014

As regular travellers, we decided to look for something different from Premier Inn or Travelodge. Using these as yardsticks for comparison, the room at the Golden Fleece is over-priced. Whilst it is spacious and functional, I felt that the 'shabby chic' was misplaced and unnecessary. I have to say that my wife felt that I was being a bit harsh. The bathroom was big enough and the shower was good. Why the bed was not made after day one was beyond me, especially when bearing in mind that the double sheet did not fit the two single beds in the first place. The hot water for the sink, however, was only available at the end of our second night and this after two requests. In this day and age, hot water is an essential requirement not a luxury!! The staff in reception, apart from the two attempts with the hot water, were friendly and efficient, whilst the staff in the bar and the restaurant, for dinner, were superb. Breakfast on the second morning was a bit slow. The reputation of the Golden Fleece must surely be based on the quality of their food. We had a lite-bite lunch on arrival (the hot beef sandwich was scrumptious), two dinners and two breakfasts. The quantity and quality left nothing to be desired. Had the water been on and the bed made, the rating would have been a high four, if not five.

Room Tip: Room 1 was on the front. To avoid earing conversations outside it was necessary to close the windows...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feed back. I'm sorry you felt we were over priced in comparison to a travelodge. Out of interest I just did a price check for tomorrow in our local travelodge and they were only £1 cheaper than us!
I am quite aware that they do special offers during non peak times which represent great value, however so do we, so I'll email you next time we have a room sale on.
You must bare in mind you were staying with us in the summer season it was August so our prices are at their peak.
Decor is always a personal preference and we do have standard rooms available however the room you chose to book was a deluxe which is in the shabby chic style. There are pictures online so you can have a look at the rooms and chose something more basic if that's what you require.
With regards to your bed, I wasn't informed by you that there was an issue during your stay so I can only apologise and point out that unfortunately its very difficult for me to remedy this at a later date however I have spoken to housekeeping and I am confident this shall not be an issue in the future.
I apologise for the loss of hot water to your hand basin, the pilot was re lit and kept going off so a technician had to be called. The repair was carried out and once again you had hot water to your hand basin.
I'm very pleased you enjoyed your meals, we have a great team in the kitchen who work hard to provide our customers with fabulous food.
I hope to see you as a return customer in the near future, perhaps you will take me up on one of my off peak deals.
Stuart and the Team.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Warm welcome and shown to a nice (premier) room overlooking the wide street. However, be aware that the street lighting is on all night, the smokers sit under the window with their cigarettes and the bus stops there too.
The staff seemed to be more interested in dealing with computer and staffing issues than with the guests. For the 2 nights we stayed there was no TV signal and were given 3 different reasons for this but no solution or apology. We gathered that there were 5 managers - maybe too many chiefs and not enough indians!
We didn't eat there either night because it was expensive for eloquently described pub food. The pub opposite was reasonably priced pub-grub.The restaurant next door was very nice and worth paying for.
Our booking was through Late Rooms so breakfast was extra. It was £8.95 set price per person and certainly not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Equibod
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us.
I'm Glad you liked your Deluxe room. However I'm puzzled to how on earth you though the bus stop was outside your window?
The bus stop is actually located 2 doors down and around the corner from us outside the Restaurant that you ate in, not quite outside your window really was it?

I do realise that you probably had your windows open as it was a hot week while you stayed and therefore you smelt smokers outside however we have now opened a beer garden to the rear of the premises and hopefully this will remedy the situation to a satisfactory level.

I'm very sorry you thought the managers were more interested in the computer than the guests, that was not the case, we were in fact having training on a new hotel management software which had been installed which is why there were so many of us in at the same time.
We had one manger on hand for guests and the others were receiving training form the software company.
We have 4 duty managers and my self who run the business, that is because believe it or not we are open for around 19hrs a day so that's 133hrs a week.
As we aim to always have a manager on hand for guests we divide the hours between 2 full time duty managers and 2 part timers whilst I take care of administration, not that it should be any concern of yours how many duty managers I employ but there's an explanation for you.

I'm surprised you kept asking the bar staff about your TV and not one of the "chiefs" since you noticed there were so many of us around.
Had you have asked one of us we would have actually been able to tell you that we were awaiting for a part to be delivered.
And again had you have spoken to a manager they would have been able to address the situation by compensating you for your inconvenience or even moving you into the other building which was unaffected.
Quite frankly I don't feel that one should ever comment on food they have never tried, the Idea of critiquing food you haven't even eaten is ridiculous and for the record I don't think "eloquently described pub food" is what one would call the food that our head chef John Charnley creates.
Try searching his name you may find out where he trained, and some of the prestigious places he worked as a head chef, oh and then you may see to what level of rosette he's cooked to!
John has only just joined our team in the last month and has implemented a daily menu which is ever changing. We are very pleased to have him on board and look forwards to him further enhancing the business for our guests.

Just for the record breakfast is £7.95 and for that price you can help your self to as much cereal, pastry's, fruit, yogurt, tea, coffee or juice as you want followed a range of cooked breakfasts.
Had you have booked direct it would have all been included in the price which would have been the same as what you paid through your agent.
Perhaps I could suggest you base your next review on facts opposed to flippant comments based on mistruths, or preconceptions you may have, remember your actually commenting about real persons business and what you say can be damaging to their business for months or even years.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here as a great location to climb Snowdon the following day. It is around 20 minutes from the ranger path route up the mountain.

The room was quirky (room 1), although it was very hot as no air conditioning. As this room was facing the road there was some noise with the window open till around 11.30pm. room had all the typical amenities but a small bathroom with NO bath but just a small shower that worked ok.

The room could have done with an upgrade if I'm being brutally honest. The bed was set up as twins as i was with a mate and were on the small side.

The food was good but a little overpriced for the quality. The cheese board was very nice but needed a much better chutney to complete the board.

The staff were friendly and swift. They could have done with an extra member of staff at breakfast as this was only served for an hour between 8.30-9.30 so there was a rush on.

Wifi was free and worked ok, however you had to keep logging back into the wifi when my iPad screen locked - very annoying.

over all this was a nice stay and did the job, although i don't think i could do more than a couple of nights.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review us.
As we are located in listed buildings we are currently unable to install air conditioning, and to be fair I think it is some thing you would perhaps expect in a hotel that you were paying a lot more money for opposed to a B&B. That being said I do appreciate you stayed on a week where we had higher temperatures than that in the Bahamas and I also felt the need for air conditioning in my life!
The beds in your room were 2 standard size single beds as you booked a twin room, I think given that you were extremely tall you may have benefited from booking a king size room each as king size beds are obviously longer and better suited to some one of your height.
I have taken you comments about our food and feed them back to the kitchen, the price we charge are reflected in the ingredients we use and if you didn't feel this than I can only apologise.
We do hope you will choose to stay with us again!.
Remember the best rate is always available by booking direct, and its the only rate to include breakfast!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

A last minute two-night break to re-charge batteries in Wales resulted in us finding a very friendly pub/inn as a base to look around the area. The staff were lovely - very friendly,nothing too much trouble and our bedroom was spacious, clean and newly refurbished with attention to detail. We chose to eat in the restaurant on the Tuesday evening and we were delighted to discover there was live music - a jamming session of acoustic musicians plus a couple of young chaps who were visiting the Inn who had brought their guitars. Our evening meals were superb - especially the fried Butterfly Breaded King Prawns with BBQ sauce, mixed salad and fries. We sent our compliments to the chef asking how the prawns had been dusted - but it was a secret recipe. BUT, the secret is definitely the Chef's background and where he/she has worked over the years! We'll definitely return in the future and enjoy the newly refurbished beer garden to enjoy more Welsh real ales.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us!
I'm glad you enjoyed everything we had to offer you as guests, our aim is that everyone enjoys their stay as you did and its always great to hear back from guests.
You'll be pleased to hear our beer garden is now open and is shaping up nicely with just a few finishing touches to add.
Don't forget to book direct for our best rate including breakfast!
Stuart and the Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremadog
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel
#2 of 6 in Criccieth
Tudor Lodge
Tudor Lodge
#2 of 12 in Porthmadog

Been to The Golden Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!