“Couldn't ask for any better!”
Review of Y Sgwar

Y Sgwar
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Tremadog
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Open seven nights a weeks offering Early Bird menu, excellent value at £20 for three courses. Children are welcome and children's menu is available Fantastic Traditional Sunday Roast every Sunday with a choice of Roast Beef and Roast Lamb. Fish and vegetarian options also. 1 Course £12.50 2 Courses x £16.50 And 3 courses £21.00 Lunches served on Wednesday through to Sunday, snacks and meals offered. Dietary request are no problem to us!
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We went to Y Sgwar on Easter Monday evening.

The location is superb, the atmosphere of the restaurant a perfect complement to the rustic feel of Tremadog, and the superb quality in the menu.

Service was perfectly balanced. The new waiter who has been there 2 weeks was a credit to the restaurant.

All in, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Y Sgwar and would recommend it to anyone in the Llyn Peninsula area.

friendly0ne, Owner at Y Sgwar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you so much for these comments. We had such a busy Easter, so your appreciation makes it all worthwhile. I will pass on your comments to Iolo.
Best regards
Lorraine

Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I have a holiday home near Tremadog and visit this resturant at least once a month . We have never been disapointed in any meal we have had. The service is always excellent and very friendly.
The menu has recently changed from the winter menu but if you ever get the chance to sample it, the starter of duck for two was mouthwatering.
The only problem is that after a starter amd main course I am always so full I hate missing out on the puddings which are to die for, so pace yourselves.

1  Thank MrsKManchester
friendly0ne, Owner at Y Sgwar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

thank you so much for your review. For me it is the regualr customers that keep coming back that are our true critics, as you know that we are consistent. Please ask for the duck pancakes even if they are not on the menu at the moment, we will always be happy to serve any of the old favourites!
regards
Lorraine

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I went to Y Sgwar with my Mum. The food is really good there and I went a month ago with some friends for a birthday celebration and it was all excellent. If I was to be nitpicky all I could fault was the rather odd pairing of haloumi cheese and oriental duck which I had for my starter on that occasion (lose the cheese). It was however quite delicious. On this visit, again, the food was brilliant , well cooked and beautifully presented. We shared a starter of goat's cheese tart with seasonal leaves and the leaves were finely shredded cabbage as opposed to salad leaves. It was delicious as were our mains of salmon and pork belly. We arrived at the restaurant as another party left and were the only people in there until one other couple arrived shortly after us. The waitress was on her own but not at all attentive. I had to walk to the bar at the other end of the restaurant where she was standing to get extra drinks and to settle the bill as did the other couple there. This was after waiting patiently to see if she would make eye contact so that we could get her attention. With so few people in the restaurant it should have been a doddle for the waitress to keep an eye on the diners to see if they needed anything but she was busy chatting either to the chef or to a female who came into the restaurant but wasn't eating there. The food was excellent but the service could have been a lot better.

1  Thank annsullivan1

Dear Guest,
thank you for taking time to write this detailed review. Firstly I would just like to reassure anyone reading this that we will not be losing the duck and halloumi starter, or ditching either ingredient! This is a perfectly matched pair as I'm sure all foodies will know and is also extremely popluar just as it is.
Re the customer service we have actually gone over this and I hope you have accepted my apolgies. I would like to say in the waitresses defence, that she is an extremely efficient and competent waitress, she is regarded highly by her colleagues and my customers. She read the situation that as we were so quiet, she simply did not mean to be intrusive or for you to be felt rushed. She left you alone when delivering the bill as she felt you were very happy chatting and in no rush. I do feel it brave of you to pass comments on our other guests when you were actually oblivious to the fact that this other couple were staff members and friends, who deliberatley went up to pay, so they could collect wages and chat to their colleagues. The lady who came into the restaurant was the head waitress, who came to go over the forthcoming mothers day table plan.
However, we take your comments on board.
best reagrds, Lorraine

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been to this resteraunt with my family a number of times and we are always pleased with the fantastic quality food, the friendly attentative and polite staff and the wonderful atmosphere. This resteraunt is a great little gem and the food is second to none, truly a hidden wonder.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

We visited Y Sgwar for the first time last Friday having noted it following a pretty poor meal at the Golden Fleece next door the year before.
Even though it was early evening we were served with a smile and the food was very good.