“So good we went back again in the same week!”
Review of Y Sgwar

Y Sgwar
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Tremadog
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open seven nights a weeks offering Early Bird menu, excellent value at £20 for three courses. Children are welcome and children's menu is available Fantastic Traditional Sunday Roast every Sunday with a choice of Roast Beef and Roast Lamb. Fish and vegetarian options also. 1 Course £12.50 2 Courses x £16.50 And 3 courses £21.00 Lunches served on Wednesday through to Sunday, snacks and meals offered. Dietary request are no problem to us!
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My Godfather & I were recommended this restaurant and it certainly didn't disappoint. As we both had heard that it was a very popular restaurant we decided to book for a Monday but Lorraine who was very helpful let us know that it wasn't needed she booked us a table anyway. We chose from the early bird menu and I had broccoli & stilton soup, chicken, bacon & leek pie with seasonal vegetables & chips finishing off with apple & blueberry crumble with icecream.

The food was amazing and perfect from start to finish and the chips were a surprise as they were very good. I think that maybe they were dry fried but either way they were very tasty.

By the time our main meals had came we had decided to book for the Thursday so we came back and had broccoli & stilton soup, slow roasted lamb with dauphinois potatoes and a rich mint jus finished off with sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce.

The lamb was perfect, lovely and tender and was very well complimented with the rich mint jus. The sticky toffee pudding was simply divine and I was very sorely tempted to have another portion.

On both occasions the waiter and waitress were attentive without being too in your face and we were asked how our meals were. Also jugs of water were provided which I thought were a nice touch.

We will definitely be visiting again the next time we are in the area. For anyone who is anywhere remotely near Tremadog then this is without a doubt the place to go. Amazing food and great service.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I was recently staying in the area and was looking for somewhere nice to go for a satisfying meal, when i came across 'Y Sgwar' restaurant in Tremadog :)
I was met at the door with a smile and a warm welcome by an Emma and even though they were very busy they still made every effort to make me feel welcome and i really did.
i was given a choice of two menus which were an 'a la carte' and a 'early bird' menu both of which looked great, i was also given some specials to choose from.
The waitress was lovely and was very helpful and her knowledge of the local area was really refreshing.
i ordered tempura king prawns which were superb and a lamb rack which was 'FANTASTIC!' and 2 finish a very smooth perfectly done creme brulee.
i would deferentially recommend a visit to 'Y Sgwar' and will b returning next time i'm in the area especially since i NEED to try everything on the menu and would like to see that lovely brunette young waitress again.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

The food is excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful, we were so impressed that we went back a second time. We only booked that day, and were fitted in with no problem, most helpful. I have recommended it to other friends visiting Tremadog.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

fantastic food and wine choice, the staff were very friendly. We celebrated our wedding anniversary and had a great night

Reviewed 2 May 2013

My wife and I ate here at the end of April for my sisters 50th birthday. It was the first time my whole family had got togethere for three years and we were very disappointed. The food was overpriced and simple requests when ordering weren't followed through. A Calamari starter at £7 simple felt like an exercise in extortion. Four tiny pieces of octopus arrived and we felt for the waitress having to serve them.

9  Thank GarethPriceSussex
friendly0ne, Owner at Y Sgwar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Sir,
Your review sticks out like a sore thumb. I am very upset by your review and also by the fact that you have failed to reply to my email, which offered to discuss and resolve your grievance. The fact that you left a generous tips and all nodded in agreement, when I personally asked you if you were all enjoying your evening, leaves me wandering what we did to deserve this. I have spoken to the gentleman that booked this party, who I believe is your father, he told me that he felt that the night went 'very well indeed'. He was also shocked when I told him about this review. If you do not say anything to me on the night, how can I possible correct anything? You did not even allow me an opportunity to apologise. This leaves me feeling very disappointed and frustrated, as I care very much about my customers.
I conclude that you were upset about your starter and its portion size. Had you called a member of staff over, we could have rectified this with no fuss or bother. I can assure you, that I did not reaslie that you were given the portion that you describe.
Please, please in future think twice about giving such a negative review when you havn't brought your complaints to the owner or management first. If you had of received negativity or no compensation by your complaint, fair enough, but there are owners that will go to some extenct to put things right, given the opportunity. I believe that we come across as a restaurant that does care about our customers, as our other reviews verify.

I hope that you will think twice before subjecting another restaurant to a bad review without first allowing them a chance to put things right.
Yours sincerely,
ps....there is a phrase about not knowing a part of your anatomy from your elbow..so, for anyone that reads this review, bear in mind that it was written by someone that thinks squid and octopus are the same thing!