“brilliant”

Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Tremadog
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Open seven nights a weeks offering Early Bird menu, excellent value at £20 for three courses. Children are welcome and children's menu is available Fantastic Traditional Sunday Roast every Sunday with a choice of Roast Beef and Roast Lamb. Fish and vegetarian options also. 1 Course £12.50 2 Courses x £16.50 And 3 courses £21.00 Lunches served on Wednesday through to Sunday, snacks and meals offered. Dietary request are no problem to us!
Reviewed 24 July 2014

On a family break from London to experience the Bear Grylls adventure in Criccieth and were recommended this restaurant. We were absolutely delighted with this great find in Tremadog. The welcome was happy and welcoming and we were offered both a la carte and Early bird menus. Our teenagers opted for the EB menu and hubby and I had mussels, scallops, duck and lamb rack off the a la carte and daily specials. The food was amazing, we couldn't fault it, adequate portions, lovely sides of vegetables and dauphinois potatoes. I cant tell you how nice it was to have knowledgeable staff that all appeared to love their job in this busy restaurant. Thanks to you all for a lovely meal and evening.

friendly0ne, Owner at Y Sgwar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Thank you for your review, we remember your family well and enjoyed hearing about your Bear Grylls experience! We are so glad that you finished off your holiday with us and gave us this great feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.
with kind regards

There are newer reviews for Y Sgwar

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Everything was amazing. The food was locally produced and cooked to perfection. There's a great choice on the menu, so much so it took us a while to decide. The lamb was the tastiest I've ever had, as was the bread and butter pudding with butterscotch sauce. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and serviced our table impeccably. An absolute must when you are in the area.

thank you so much for this lovely review and I do apologize for not replying sooner, we have had a busy season! However, your comments are very much appreciated by us all.
With best regards

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a fantastic night at this restaurant after spending the week on holiday in Porthmadog - wish we had found it sooner! Staff are so friendly and attentive, nothing is too much trouble. I had scallops to start followed by the pork and I can honestly say it was the best meal I've had in a long time. Make sure you book as it was busy, even for a Thursday night but that shows how good it is. Well worth the taxi drive out of town and we will definitely be back next year. Thanks!

friendly0ne, Owner at Y Sgwar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

thank you so much for your excellent review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your meal with us tonight...the scallops and the pork are two of our favourites!
we look forward to welcoming you again soon,
best regards

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I don't know what went wrong with our visit here. I chose the Thai fishcake starter, they looked like very overcooked scotch eggs,The fish inside was a bland mush and no spice. The only thing Thai might have been the dipping sauce, the side salad on the plate was turning brown. Son had duck breast which was grey and over cooked, came with bak choi and guessing a plumb sauce,I have to question the pallette of a chef that put's plum sauce with minted new potatoes and broccoli? but the main issue was the duck overcooked. The waitress took it back then came back and told us the chef said WE should have asked for it pink, we were never asked HOW we wanted it cooked and besides doesn't every chef know duck should be cooked pink? I went outside to smoke & to cool down, i was SO ANGRY at being blamed for this but this was compounded by the waitress shutting the door on me (I'm disabled and use a cane). When i came back my son's new piece of duck came STILL between pink and well done but as it had a little pink in it we just wanted to eat and leave so for 1 pot of tea, 1 glass of wine, 1 lasagne, 1 duck and 1 starter came to £48. I live in a holiday area and would never find such awful food and service down here at such inflated prices. Do yourself a favour, find a local Macdonalds if you can or even a chippy

9  Thank Babsmh
friendly0ne, Owner at Y Sgwar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Oh My goodness, you have some cheek. First you are rude enough to ask if you can smoke in the restaurant and then your rudeness continues. To be honest, I don't even want make comment on your rubbish critique of our lovely food and lovely restaurant.
How embarrassing for us that other customers were commenting about how rude you were and saying to our waitress 'how do you put up with people like that?'
When you did go our for your fag to 'calm down' , not caring two hoots that your smoke was wafting through the restaurant, I think you should count yourself lucky that the door wasn't slammed in your face, because believe me, that's what we wanted to do....Yes, do the industry a favor, stay away from decent quality restaurants and stick to Mac D's, much more suitable for people like you.
with utter disgust

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We chose the Square to celebrate our wedding anniversary with some friends of ours. We were made to feel most welcome, given very attentive service and the food was outstanding. Yes, the prices are slightly higher than other establishments in the area, but the rest are just pubs and we had previously paid inflated prices in 'the Fleece' next door for very 'basic' food.......
In short, the Square is exceptional value for money and perfect for that special occasion.The menu choices are varied and interesting, and the atmosphere and interior design are warm and welcoming.
Thanks for a lovely evening.

friendly0ne, Owner at Y Sgwar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

thank you so much for you kind words and lovely review. we are really pleased you enjoyed your anniversary and chose to celebrate it with us!
kind regards