“Not recommended”

Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Beaumaris
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a very disappointing hotel. Cleanliness was an issue. The room was scruffy with dirty/marked carpet, sticky surfaces, broken sink, chipped toilet, broken window in bathroom (carpet in a bathroom, around a toilet is a big "no no"). Old and scruffy shower. Uncomfortable beds. Staff looked tired and disinterested. We wouldnt recommend this place as it is, which is a shame as it has such potential to be a really good hotel/guest house. It's a great old building in a great location but it needs investment. Everything about it at the moment is tired and tatty. And it isn't cheap! Somebody needs to get their act together!

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend any of their rooms if our room was typical
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lesley B
HazelJohnson-Ollier, Owner at Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hi Thank you for taking the time to write a review even if it has left us all a little shell shocked and is not consistent with our mainly excellent reviews. I have left you a personal message as I would like to address your comments personally. I don't think any of the staff could be described as tired and disinterested as they will all go out of their way to ensure our guests have a very pleasant stay. I do wish you had mentioned your unhappiness at the time as we would have offered you another room or alternative accommodation. Please get in touch at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed for one night and dined at the Bishopsgate Hotel during a recent walking holiday in Anglesey and have no hesitation in recommending it. My room was clean and comfortable and had plenty of character (I loved the gently sloping floor) and the evening meal I had in their restaurant was absolutely excellent (book a table). Nice people too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank gastrotrich
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Upon arrival my partner and I were greeted warmly by Hazel. She made us feel at home straight away, and even gave us the choice of two rooms. The check in was quick and efficient, even the small problem of my forgetting my voucher was resolved easily by Hazel and i wasn't made to feel like it was a problem at all.
We stayed in room 10 which is a nice, spacious twin room. In the rooms you are provided with everything you need.
The evening meal was delicious! The lamb in particular, tasted amazing!
There is a huge choice for breakfast, you will not struggle to find something. We had the full breakfast each morning because it was so tasty!
All the other staff we met were all very polite, and friendly.
This guesthouse is in a perfect location and has free parking. Perfect!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank sbooker1110
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've used this hotel many times over the past 3 years whilst in North ales on business. It never fails to provide a friendly, warm welcome and some peaceful sanctuary after a busy day. The restaurant offers excellent local produce which is always well prepared and served.

The owners take a real interest and make real efforts to meet everyone's needs.

The restaurant also seems to be popular with the locals and to have many regular clients.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Ian P
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have stayed at the BISHOPSGATE on a number of occasions and have to say the accommodation is very good, but the food is special. I have dined out in area on a few visits but have to say the food is the best on the island on a consistent basis. Thank You to all concerned.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank smhornby
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were warned in advance that the room was small but had a sea view. It was in fact a lovely room, clean and comfortable.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was amazing, didn't want it to end!
The staff, in particular, Hazel were extremely helpful. Such a lovely lady.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lorraine L
Reviewed 31 May 2014

It's hard to know how to rate this. I didn't stay in the hotel, but I visited the restaurant for dinner one evening with my partner and another couple. The food was great. The service was very attentive and solicitous. All 3 carnivores ordered the steaks and said they were the best they'd had in years and meltingly delicious. My vegetarian option (a roast veg and feta cheese tart) was tasty, and the side vegetables were all very fresh and perfectly cooked. My creme brulee was wonderful, and well worth saving room for. The wine we had was great.

However, and it's quite a large however, my partner was bitten by the owner's dog. My partner is very fond of dogs, and very dog savvy. He spotted the dog out in the corridor as he was on the way to the bathroom and stopped to give it a scritch behind the ears. The dog bit him immediately, without warning, drawing blood. The owner tried to shout a warning, but it was too late. It wasn't a very serious bite, but we rounded off the evening with a trip to Bangor A & E for a tetanus shot. Not a very relaxing end to our day.

Also, while this was happening, the three of us still at the table were completely unaware. Although both the owner and our waitress knew that my partner had been bitten, nobody told us. We were chatting, and then busy paying the bill (and leaving a generous tip) while my partner was cleaning the bite and getting bandaged up. We only found what happened when my partner told us after we'd left.

The owner assured us that the dog is not usually out in the corridor, that there is information in all the rooms to warn the guests not to touch the dog, and that all the locals are aware that the dog bites. This didn't help us as tourist visitors to the restaurant, where no warnings are visible. The owner has agreed to consider putting a sign up in reception to warn visiting diners.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank ZolaTheGorgon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaumaris
The Bulkeley Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#1 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Lastra Farm Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!