“An old historic hotel with an amazing resturant”

Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Beaumaris
Swansea, United Kingdom
“An old historic hotel with an amazing resturant”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel, refurbished within the last few years but holding on to many of the quirks that a place 200 years old will have. Our room at the back of the building was spacious and clean, probably not as plush as the others at the front of the building that cost more but was of a good size. It had twin beds and two armchairs that were actually really comfortable. Hotel room armchairs I find are usually instruments of torture rather than something to relax in. The room was above the kitchen which you could hear but as all meals etc are over by 10:00 it didn't bother us at all. Not surprisingly in a building of this age the floor was a bit creaky and had a slope to it. However, a bottle of wine and a few whiskies in the restaurant and the floor flattened out nicely. The food here is top-notch, the restaurant frequented by many of the locals who have a wide choice of eateries in Beaumaris. The menu is varied, showing off a good range of cooking skills. The staff were all great, always friendly and helpful. We will undoubtedly be back. Oh yes, tea bags. Plenty of tea bags, I run on tea and usually have to get reception to supply more. I didn't get to the end of these. First time ever.

Room Tip: The ones at the front are the 'deluxe' ones and are better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Do you know what, I've stayed in some 5 star places and some 1 star b & b's. I try to come at them all with a fresh perspective and not put 5 star expectations onto small family run businesses. Judging by some previous reviews they are paying the least amount they can and expecting their own butler!

I stayed at this hotel last week and what a glorious location. We were in room 4 which was perfectly clean, tidy and aromatic. Lovely view of the sea (noisy seagulls!!) and as the weather was glorious too we took a walk down the sea front before dinner. Perfection, just lovely.

We came back for dinner and were bowled over by the food. I had Pate to start and Chicken Fricasse (excuse the spelling) for main. I was not expecting much as I got the night on a special offer with Amazon Local and thought, as you do, that they would cut corners. THEY DID NOT! Everything we ate was really stunning. I cannot thank our waiter enough, he was really helpful.

Another walk down the sea front and back to the room after a short stop in the lounge and bar. Bed was very comfy. Had to shut the window though as the seagulls were very loud! Being a townie I'm not used to the volume.

Breakfast was also very good. Full Welsh, of course, and copious amounts of tea.

I would definitely recommend this place to friends and family, it was lovely and a proper friendly and helpful staff. The only problem I had was the size of the TV in the room. Normally wouldn't bother watching but the world cup was on and I needed a larger screen!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kate3687
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a very disappointing hotel. Cleanliness was an issue. The room was scruffy with dirty/marked carpet, sticky surfaces, broken sink, chipped toilet, broken window in bathroom (carpet in a bathroom, around a toilet is a big "no no"). Old and scruffy shower. Uncomfortable beds. Staff looked tired and disinterested. We wouldnt recommend this place as it is, which is a shame as it has such potential to be a really good hotel/guest house. It's a great old building in a great location but it needs investment. Everything about it at the moment is tired and tatty. And it isn't cheap! Somebody needs to get their act together!

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend any of their rooms if our room was typical
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lesley B
HazelJohnson-Ollier, Owner at Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Hi Thank you for taking the time to write a review even if it has left us all a little shell shocked and is not consistent with our mainly excellent reviews. I have left you a personal message as I would like to address your comments personally. I don't think any of the staff could be described as tired and disinterested as they will all go out of their way to ensure our guests have a very pleasant stay. I do wish you had mentioned your unhappiness at the time as we would have offered you another room or alternative accommodation. Please get in touch at your earliest convenience.
Hockley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed for one night and dined at the Bishopsgate Hotel during a recent walking holiday in Anglesey and have no hesitation in recommending it. My room was clean and comfortable and had plenty of character (I loved the gently sloping floor) and the evening meal I had in their restaurant was absolutely excellent (book a table). Nice people too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank gastrotrich
Knutsford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Upon arrival my partner and I were greeted warmly by Hazel. She made us feel at home straight away, and even gave us the choice of two rooms. The check in was quick and efficient, even the small problem of my forgetting my voucher was resolved easily by Hazel and i wasn't made to feel like it was a problem at all.
We stayed in room 10 which is a nice, spacious twin room. In the rooms you are provided with everything you need.
The evening meal was delicious! The lamb in particular, tasted amazing!
There is a huge choice for breakfast, you will not struggle to find something. We had the full breakfast each morning because it was so tasty!
All the other staff we met were all very polite, and friendly.
This guesthouse is in a perfect location and has free parking. Perfect!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank sbooker1110
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've used this hotel many times over the past 3 years whilst in North ales on business. It never fails to provide a friendly, warm welcome and some peaceful sanctuary after a busy day. The restaurant offers excellent local produce which is always well prepared and served.

The owners take a real interest and make real efforts to meet everyone's needs.

The restaurant also seems to be popular with the locals and to have many regular clients.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Ian P
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have stayed at the BISHOPSGATE on a number of occasions and have to say the accommodation is very good, but the food is special. I have dined out in area on a few visits but have to say the food is the best on the island on a consistent basis. Thank You to all concerned.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank smhornby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaumaris
The Bulkeley Hotel
#3 of 5 in Beaumaris
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Trearddur Bay

Been to Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!