“Good location, Lovely Food”

Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Beaumaris
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Good location, Lovely Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here two night we were met on the first night by the proprietor and her grumpy jack Russell that doesn't like guests stroking.

The rooms was large and had all modcons but was tired but ok for what we needed.

It is centrally based and walking distance to everywhere in Beaumaris.

We dined in the restaurant the first night as it was Sunday and couldn't be bothered to venture too far and the meal was lovely and good and value for money.

The breakfasts was good and could have a varied selection.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Llanfaes, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just stayed a the most pretty friendly hotel in wales , the room was very clean , the staff friendly and could not do enough for us , we ate in the restaurant and the food was first class , we also ate at the tavern on the bay which was also great . I would highly recommend staying at this beautifully kept hotel

Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I cannot knock the service here. Jane who dealt with me both on the phone and at the hotel was pleasant, helpful and understanding. The general look of the place is beautifully old world and the location and town are fabulous.
Unfortunately the hotel is tired and not very clean. I booked in with the delightful Jane clambered, up to the top floor to my room all the while thinking this just looks too tired. When I entered my room I should have called a halt to the experience right then but I thought I was just a little cranky at the heat and the long day.
How ever as I started to look about the room the musty smell from the bathroom carpet hit me.
The dust collected in corners and gathered around the extractor fan in the bathroom were matched by the dust on the top of the picture frames. I decided to call reception to see if they had another room that (a) was cleaner and (b) was not tipping the heat scales at about 40 degrees.
The room phone did not work and I could not get a signal on my Mobile. I checked behind the table to see if the phone line had pulled and found more dust bunnies plus some sweet papers.
Time to go.

Jane was very understanding and apologetic given the circumstances.
I was left having been on the road since 6 in the morning and still needing to finish off some reports ( oh by the way no wi- fi) to finding myself alternative accommodation. Thanks again Jane but the owners need to invest some serious money in revamping the place and to understand that while a building can exude that old world feel it still needs to be clean and well maintained.
I would dearly love to stay in the area again and given a pre-booking inspection of a room would still consider the Bishopsgate, but it does need that investment. All the more disappointing was I had it on good authority from some locals that the food is fabulous.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Greengrass59
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Have stayed at Bishopsgate twice this year, been extremely grateful for the services provided and extremely pleased with the rooms, food, cleanliness etc but have found the booking process itself has not gone smoothly both times I have stayed, the first time I ended up getting upgraded due to the unavailability of the twin room I booked but the second time I found there was no availability at all on one of the days I had already booked for. Twice the reason given has been that there has been 'two bookings come through at once on Booking.com' which I did not fully believe but accepted duly anyway, however due to this error resulting with us sleeping in a budget ASDA tent for the night in a field it became a bit more serious that the issue needs addressing.
Would advise people book well in advance and phone the hotel direct for availability as their online systems arent up to scratch yet.

Room Tip: ask for bath robes and a spa bath!!
3 Thank Chris W
Carvoeiro, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was our second stay. The owner is lovely, is involved in everything and couldn't be more helpful. The hotel is very central, but the car park is a bit cramped. We used it before a ferry to Ireland from Holyhead which is less than a half hour away.
The rooms are small and a bit dated but contain everything you need.
There's a nice bar where you can order your dinner. Our meal was a real surprise: excellent food served by a friendly young man. The breakfast too was very good. I prefer more of a buffet whereas here it is all waiter served.
All in all a very pleasant experience which we will certainly repeat.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank HCB911
BOLTON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We have stayed at the Bishopsgate House Hotel a couple of times lately for short breaks and have enjoyed our stays. The rooms are a good size and nicely furnished. The location is good for wandering down to the pier and beach area, or for wandering round the shops or the historic attractions of this small but quite upmarket Anglesey town. The Bishopsgate staff try to give a good service to their customers and we ate in the restaurant a couple of times in the evening and were happy with our experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the front with a view of the Menai Straits
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BoltonMaltesers
Liverpool United
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have just returned from a two night break at the Bishopsgate Hotel. We have visited Beaumaris before on day trips so this was the first time we had actually stayed in the town. The hotel was very pleasant, we booked a superior room at the front which was very spacious with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. We had two comfortable armchairs also in the room. The hotel is not on the front but from our room we had a good view of the sea and mountains. The bathroom was clean if a little on the small side but perfectly adequate.

We ate in on one night because of the excellent reviews about the food, we were not disappointed. The choice was very good and very well presented and cooked to perfection. The breakfast was also very good and well cooked.

On our other evening there we tried the Pier House Bistro, I would have no hesitation in recommending this excellent restaurant. The food was excellent, with lovely staff who made us feel welcome and it has a very good atmosphere.

Beaumaris is a lovely quaint Welsh town and the front and pier are very well kept.

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior room which is a lot more expensive but it was spacious (room 9).
2 Thank Childwall020
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaumaris
Chateau Rhianfa
#3 of 4 in Beaumaris
Trecastell Hotel
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch

Been to Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!