“GREAT POTENTIAL, SHAME ABOUT THE OWNERS”

Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cemaes Bay
Reviewed 26 June 2014

this is a lovely county house hotel, set in lovely grounds. its just a total shame that the owners are so rude. I attended a family gathering here a few years ago and remember thinking that they were very arrogant and basically couldn't wait to get rid of us (they must have forgotten that they actually have to work to earn money and keep a business going), I thought maybe they were having a bad day... until I attended a christening here recently and they were exactly the same. arrogant, no please/thank you when being served, made us feel unwelcome, overpriced drinks, overpriced food (my friend told me how much per head she paid - what a joke for a priece of meat, a bit of salad and a bread roll - £11.95 - seriously?) they also humiliated my friends by giving them the bill in front of guests and pointed out that they had over invited people so they had bumped up the total cost. They should have taken them to one side to discuss in private!! It's just a good job that my friends did not let this ruin their day - it turned out to be lovely as everybody sat outside in the grounds rather than being insude around the owners. I would not hold a function here, nor would I return for just a quiet drink. They don't seem to act like they want your custom - so don't bother.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank xklkjx
Gadlys670, Owner at Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Your information is not factually correct. The Christening had been booked for a maximum of 40 persons. It included honey roast ham, roast turkey breast, baked salmon goujons and three salads. Our highest priced buffet. The actual number of guests was 54 adults and 13 children. A total of 67. Not 40 as had been booked. We rapidly ran out of food and had to provide extra for 23 people.
My wife told the mother of the child there was a discrepancy in numbers and she said there was not. I asked to see the father (in private, but he was joined by his father in law) and showed him our figures. He said the event was planned at 40 but knew there would be more than that. I told him he would have to pay for the extra 23 persons. The bill was not presented to him in public as you claim and an arrangement was reached although it is true to say that neither side was happy about it .
You use the word arrogant twice and you comment on our ability to run a business and that we were rude and never offered a 'please or thank you' to our guests when serving them. Basically, that we are unpleasant people ........... well, if I may and without causing offense to you, offer you a view from behind the bar.
We are expected to provide a high standard buffet for 40 people which will feed 63. Without charging anything extra.
We have to put up with the foulest of language from some of the guests that is appalling and deafening and without complaint.
We witness children of ten and under being encouraged to use profanities to the amusement of the adults without interfering.
We were asked by those same children if 'we knew how babies were made?' Again, to the amusement of the adults.
These same adults are the friends you speak of. They have also informed you incorrectly, of the facts in this matter and you have chosen to advise the world in the most public of forums in the hope of some sort of rectitude.
We do say please and thank you to all our customers. Even to those that offend us.

There are newer reviews for Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Well, just about to check out and what can I say? Service? Absolutely brilliant. Last night there wasn't a table free for dinner so a table was set specially for me, can't ask for anymore than that. Food? The duck croquette was different, the tenderloin of pork was very well presented, however it did have too much salt and basil, but was quite nice; the vanilla cheesecake was vanilla cheesecake!

The room? Because they were very full instead of the normal double room that I was expecting I ws given a family room on the top floor. Loads of space, three proper beds, I slept in the double which had a very comfortable mattress. The window was rather small but did give a view of the bay, well it did when the fog went.

The whole atmosphere is old world, it is definately a country-house feel, from the entrance hall with large staircase to the huge lounge and restaurant, it just feels completely different from the usual chain, and to me that is a big plus.

Paul and Pat couldn't have been friendlier, and all the waitresses were smiling, now you don't get that in a Marriott never mind a Travel Lodge or a Premier Inn. Just don't ask Pat about her accent! She is Canadian and it sems like she gets asked about it by every guest. Laughs.

So, would I stay here again, out in the wilds of Anglesey, in sight of the Wylfa power station? Yes, I think I would. Sitting at breakfast this morning in the "old empire" styled restaurant I thought, "What a hidden gem".

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank geordieindorset
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Needed an overnight stay and thankfully Gadlys had space - what a wonderful find!
Listed as 2 star but definitely 5 star staff and delicious food. Comfortable room. Will happily return if needing accomodation in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lazytripehound
Reviewed 3 August 2013

A good place for stopping off on-route. We were upgraded from a double standard room to a 4 poster bedroom with a seaview. The owners, Pat and Paul, are very friendly and accommodating. We had dinner in the bar/ restaurant which was very good. The hotel grounds are fairly large with guinea fowl roaming.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jos1966
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This hotel is only a 2 star and yet provides an elegant and original venue, especially on the inside.
The room was delightful, the restaurant to a good standard, the grounds and views lovely and the attentions of Pat and Paul welcoming and genuine.
Perhaps most importantly the bar is large and well stocked, the open fire warming (yes, in June) and the cooked breakfast filling.
Just the place to explore Anglesey!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Just come back from a motorcycle weekend staying at the Gadlys. The ride to the hotel had taken 9 hours. Mainly in the rain, and with various riders losing the rest of the group. It was a long day, but we finally arrived. This is our second visit to the Gadlys, and once again we warmly greeted at reception by Pat. She quickly checked us in, and promptly made her way to the bar, to serve the weary bikers a well earned drink (what a woman).

We have been doing these motorcycle trips for many years. We always look for a hotel with great views. We want good food, quickly served. We want a bar with plenty of choice,. but above all it must be clean and tidy. The Gadlys ticks all the boxes.

Hope to see you again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Gadlys670, Owner at Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

You are very welcome. Thank you for the kind words. Hope to see you again in a couple of years

Reviewed 18 June 2013

What a surprising place, very interestingly decorated, good food, genial hosts, nothing is too much trouble for Paul and his wife. Most of all though, what a stunning setting very large grounds, away from traffic where kids can roam safely, with interesting wildflowers, rabbits, guinea fowl, etc. A true country house hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 6, a family room, 1 double bed 1 single but room large enough for a cot too. Exelle...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 3 in Cemaes Bay
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#1 of 2 in Trearddur Bay

Been to Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!