“I LOVED it!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cemaes Bay
Silver Lake, New York
“I LOVED it!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was walking the Anglesey Coastal Path, so my wife booked me here as it is very close to the path. After booking, we read some of the reviews, and got a little worried. We needn't have been worried! When I called her to review my day, I said "Honey, you really found a gem with this one! The view is wonderful, the room is great, the food delicious, the bar lovely, and the people VERY FRIENDLY." I guess if you treat people with kindness and respect, you get fantastic service in return. I would stay here again with no hesitation what so ever.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PAWolcott
Gadlys670, Owner at Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for the review. I hope you enjoyed the scenic walks and hospitality around our fair Isle. We look forward to your next visit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We boarded at this hotel 12 months ago. When we arrived we could see it was a great place in a fabulous location and so very surprised to see there were no other guests....should have known better !!... the room was very nice and the food was fine... but the service was very poor. We were the only guests in the dining room and so by 9PM staff made it clear we were keeping them from the TV and made us feel very uncomfortable and so we went to the local pub....... we vowed never to return but recently attended a private function here... true to form the owners managed to make everyone feel unwelcome. They are clearly in the wrong business and would be much better suited working for HMRC...

17 Thank Jasper1782

Travellers are raving about these Cemaes Bay hotels

Chester
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The location of this hotel is wonderful - about a mile from the beach with lovely peaceful gardens with distant views down to the sea. However, the hotel itself is very dated and in need of modernisation. The food is ok but overpriced. The current owners are rude! Every time we visit we give this place another chance and every time without fail the owners Paul and Pat are use to us in one way or another. Recently we attended a function at the hotel. At the buffet Pat made us feel like we were at a school canteen and would not dare ask for more than the very small portion she was willing to almost throw at our plates. She made myself and many of the guests feel unwelcome and like we were an inconvenience. Maybe a lesson in customer service is needed despite there severe years at the hotel?

10 Thank ClaireHughes2014
Reviewed 26 June 2014

this is a lovely county house hotel, set in lovely grounds. its just a total shame that the owners are so rude. I attended a family gathering here a few years ago and remember thinking that they were very arrogant and basically couldn't wait to get rid of us (they must have forgotten that they actually have to work to earn money and keep a business going), I thought maybe they were having a bad day... until I attended a christening here recently and they were exactly the same. arrogant, no please/thank you when being served, made us feel unwelcome, overpriced drinks, overpriced food (my friend told me how much per head she paid - what a joke for a priece of meat, a bit of salad and a bread roll - £11.95 - seriously?) they also humiliated my friends by giving them the bill in front of guests and pointed out that they had over invited people so they had bumped up the total cost. They should have taken them to one side to discuss in private!! It's just a good job that my friends did not let this ruin their day - it turned out to be lovely as everybody sat outside in the grounds rather than being insude around the owners. I would not hold a function here, nor would I return for just a quiet drink. They don't seem to act like they want your custom - so don't bother.

6 Thank xklkjx
Gadlys670, Owner at Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Your information is not factually correct. The Christening had been booked for a maximum of 40 persons. It included honey roast ham, roast turkey breast, baked salmon goujons and three salads. Our highest priced buffet. The actual number of guests was 54 adults and 13 children. A total of 67. Not 40 as had been booked. We rapidly ran out of food and had to provide extra for 23 people.
My wife told the mother of the child there was a discrepancy in numbers and she said there was not. I asked to see the father (in private, but he was joined by his father in law) and showed him our figures. He said the event was planned at 40 but knew there would be more than that. I told him he would have to pay for the extra 23 persons. The bill was not presented to him in public as you claim and an arrangement was reached although it is true to say that neither side was happy about it .
You use the word arrogant twice and you comment on our ability to run a business and that we were rude and never offered a 'please or thank you' to our guests when serving them. Basically, that we are unpleasant people ........... well, if I may and without causing offense to you, offer you a view from behind the bar.
We are expected to provide a high standard buffet for 40 people which will feed 63. Without charging anything extra.
We have to put up with the foulest of language from some of the guests that is appalling and deafening and without complaint.
We witness children of ten and under being encouraged to use profanities to the amusement of the adults without interfering.
We were asked by those same children if 'we knew how babies were made?' Again, to the amusement of the adults.
These same adults are the friends you speak of. They have also informed you incorrectly, of the facts in this matter and you have chosen to advise the world in the most public of forums in the hope of some sort of rectitude.
We do say please and thank you to all our customers. Even to those that offend us.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Well, just about to check out and what can I say? Service? Absolutely brilliant. Last night there wasn't a table free for dinner so a table was set specially for me, can't ask for anymore than that. Food? The duck croquette was different, the tenderloin of pork was very well presented, however it did have too much salt and basil, but was quite nice; the vanilla cheesecake was vanilla cheesecake!

The room? Because they were very full instead of the normal double room that I was expecting I ws given a family room on the top floor. Loads of space, three proper beds, I slept in the double which had a very comfortable mattress. The window was rather small but did give a view of the bay, well it did when the fog went.

The whole atmosphere is old world, it is definately a country-house feel, from the entrance hall with large staircase to the huge lounge and restaurant, it just feels completely different from the usual chain, and to me that is a big plus.

Paul and Pat couldn't have been friendlier, and all the waitresses were smiling, now you don't get that in a Marriott never mind a Travel Lodge or a Premier Inn. Just don't ask Pat about her accent! She is Canadian and it sems like she gets asked about it by every guest. Laughs.

So, would I stay here again, out in the wilds of Anglesey, in sight of the Wylfa power station? Yes, I think I would. Sitting at breakfast this morning in the "old empire" styled restaurant I thought, "What a hidden gem".

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank geordieindorset
Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Needed an overnight stay and thankfully Gadlys had space - what a wonderful find!
Listed as 2 star but definitely 5 star staff and delicious food. Comfortable room. Will happily return if needing accomodation in the area again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lazytripehound
UK
Reviewed 3 August 2013

A good place for stopping off on-route. We were upgraded from a double standard room to a 4 poster bedroom with a seaview. The owners, Pat and Paul, are very friendly and accommodating. We had dinner in the bar/ restaurant which was very good. The hotel grounds are fairly large with guinea fowl roaming.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Beaumaris
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!