“was unbelievably poor”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cemaes Bay
London
“was unbelievably poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2005

Having read 3 reviews of this hotel on trip advisor, I decided to book although unfortunately the 1 bad review proved to be far more accurate than the 2 good ones!

A nice setting and views were no compensation for 2 unhelpful and stony faced hosts where it seemed that they were trying to make us feel awkward. I dont think I got one smile, even a good morning or good night, no thank you when I paid the bill. It seemed all too much effort for them. And I laughed at breakfast when I tried to get more coffee as the pot was snatched from me, there was a problme here! I cant remember being so dissapointed in a hotel/B & B for many years that we wanted to leave after 1 night, it spoilt my whole time on Anglesey.

Regarding the owners comment about the guest book showing how much people enjoyed their stay, we didnt sign the visitors book as that would be too late to warn people what they may expect staying here. I am sure some guests may have a nice time but we certainly didnt.

17 Thank Sally66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2005

I absolutely loved my stay at the Gadlyss and can hardly wait to return--hopefully during the winter season. Our room was very attractive and clean, and the large bathroom was great! Food was superb, every single night. (My Husband highly recommends the lamb, and veggie lovers like me appreciate the linguine.) By the way, the front gardens, with the 2 fish ponds, waterfalls, and sitting areas were most special--particularly at night with the floodlights on the area.

Best of all was the warm, relaxed atmosphere. The Host and Hostess (Paul and Pat) and their Staff were kind and considerate at all times, and genuinely worked diligently to make each of us comfortable. (Pat moves at the speed of light attending to every need!) I recall comments from other guests indicating they were just as pleased as we. and one couple even reserved a room for New Years. We anticipate a return stay in the winter as well--mabye November or February.

Our Gadlyss stay was a highpoint of out time in Wales, and I sure hope you get to stay there. Exemplary in every aspect!

Polly

1 Thank purplepol
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2005

What a great place to spend some time. Not only were the rooms well decorated and large, so were the bathrooms. Pat and Paul sure know how to make your stay pleasant. The gourmet meals were the best we've had in Europe. Located in the northernmost town in Wales, Cemas, the setting is beautiful and a rare treat. The Gadlys is within walking distance of Cemaes and the first church built by St. Patrick, in the 5th century. Also a great place to stay if you are going to take the ferry to Ireland. It's only 30 minutes to the ferry port in Holyhead. Don't miss this one. We're going back in the winter to see a new season on Angelesey.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2005

Having read a report from an American member; I must say that his assessment of the Gadlys Hotel in Anglesey is most surprising.

I have been fortunate enough to have stayed at this fine hotel, with many friends, in the recent past and have found nothing more than the finest of welcomes and unequalled hospitality from the owners and staff.

Go to this hotel, I implore you! You will find a wealth of humour, friendship and comfort so sadly lacking in many hotels.

Perhaps this obviously "spoilt" family were expecting a more "Vegas" style of hotel in Wales.

Yours

David

A more than satisfied customer of Gadlys

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2005

We recently stayed for 3 nights at the Gadlys House Hotel. One can pin alot on the North Americans but not usually outrageous rudeness. Which the owner of this hotel and her husband excel at. Although the hotel itself is pleasant enough, clean and comfortable, my 7 companions and myself were truly made to feel totally unwelcome. The list is unbelievably long but just some of the best incidents include:

1. If you want to see a grown woman scowl - ask for more coffee at breakfast.

2. Play your own part in the musical Oliver and ask for more toast. We were told to finish what we had first! (even though it wasn’t on the plate of the person asking for more - i.e. expecting us to pass half eaten slices of toast around the table!).

3. On arriving one morning for breakfast (with my other half literally 1 minute behind me) I asked for 2 English breakfasts only to be told that I wasn’t allowed to order breakfast for anyone other than myself!!!

4. The youngest member of our party (2½ years) was occupying herself quietly in the bar early one evening (whilst we enjoyed pre dinner drinks) with a photocopied A4 piece of paper that the owner had optimistically folded into a 'drinks menu' on one of the tables. The owner of the hotel literally snatched it out of her hands and told her off for playing with it! (remind me to send them 1 sheet of A4 paper - I can afford it and clearly they cant!!)

All mentions of 'family friendly' and a 'homely atmosphere' are ludicrous. I have never met 2 people in the hospitality industry who so obviously hated every moment of us 'guests' invading their space. My advice to them is get out of having a business that requires them to be nice or welcoming to people as they clearly aren’t enjoying it. And my advice to potential customers? - Don’t bother!

19 Thank juliemb
, Proprietor at Gadlys Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2005
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, there are inevitably going to be occasions when some remain dissatisfied, even belligerant.
It would be unhelpful to comment on issues raised by the author, other than to suggest that the visitors book offers a very different view from the one expressed here.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cemaes Bay
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to Gadlys Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!