“Lovely Spa Break”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Llangefni
Altrincham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Spa Break”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I have just returned from a Spa Break, my friend and I feel so relaxed! We had a room in the old part of the house, the furnishings looked very new with good quality linen on the beds etc. The bathroom was not of such a high standard but as we were often using the spa facilities it was not such an issue. The spa was fantastic, large pool, lots of loungers, great sauna and jaccuzi and best of all the salt steam room - all very well maintained. We both had a hot stone massage which left us unable to do much for the rest of the day! We dined in the formal dining room the first evening, good food in a very traditional setting. The breakfasts were excellent with a few extra choices such as smoked haddock with a rarebit glaze - delicious. On our second evening we had a more casual meal in the Clockhouse Restaurant, I chose mussels and clams with ' Thrice cooked chips' so nice! All the staff were helpful and friendly making us feel very welcome.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nwspm
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Many thanks for the review, glad to hear you had a ncie time at the hall and we hope to welcome you back again soon :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Beautiful building, friendly staff, nice spa, excellent food = highly recomended! We arrived on Anglesey in the morning and explored some of the bays and small villages prior to check-in - we recommend Moelfre for the walks. After checking in we tried out the spa. My husband recommends the Indian Head Massage. The pool and jacuzzi area was really nice. Drinks in the bar, followed by a delicious meal in the restaurant, followed by coffee in the library was all just lovely. Breakfast the following morning was equally delicious and set us up for more exploring before partaking of afternoon tea. There aren't too many places I would return to, just because I always want to see and do something different, but I would definitely return here.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tricia F
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thanks for your review and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you're looking forward to returning. We hope to welcome you back soon
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Where can I start? I saw the hotel online and had seen some great reviews. We decided to go for valentines weekend and were overwhelmed! The country house is at the end of a long drive and the excitement rose in my tummy as we pulled onto the gravel. It is a beautiful house and we were warmly welcomed by reception. Our room was in the new part of the hotel, and we had patio doors that opened out onto a little paved area with fish pond. The room was spotlessly clean, the sheets had that 'just washed at home smell' (not the standard unfragranced smell you get on sheets in large chain hotels - if you don't believe me, have a sniff!), we also had handmade chocolates and champagne on arrival. The hotel has a lovely 'warm' feel to it and we had a look around the grounds after settling in. The location is so peaceful and the gardens are glorious. The Spa was lovely - we didnt have any treatments but it was very busy (seemed to be very popular with locals as well as residents) so definitely a must for next time. We also had a 6 course dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and the food was to die for! The service was amazing and the staff were so polite and courteous but not obtrusive. It was a perfect romantic evening. Breakfast is cooked to order and was superb!! I can't fault anything. I very rarely leave reviews as I do so much travel with my work, but this was worthy of this review. I cannot recommend enough and you must go and experience this for yourself. I can't wait to go back.
The manager should be very proud of his staff, everyone was truly lovely. I would like to personally thank Tina and Sam for making my stay so pleasurable and you are both assets to this business :)
Best regards and see you soon, Clair

Room Tip: New rooms have the patio area but next time I would like to stay in the old part of the house as thi...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Clair, thanks for the review, really glad you enjoyed yourself and that the team made your stay enjoyable. I am sure Sam and Tina have smiles on their faces after being mentioned
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

My friend and I enjoyed a spa day at Tre-Ysgawen Hall. I had purchased it on a KGB deal so value for money was superb .... This is definitely Angelsey's hidden little gem :)))) it has the most idyllic setting you could imagine, surrounded by glorious countryside in a peaceful location. If you want a complete break from the 'rat race' of modern living this is the place to go. Superb facilities, efficient reception staff and all the customer service skills that make a management team smile. The food is of excellent standard presented to perfection. As other reviews state .. Yes the building is very grande. Well worth a trip to indulge yourself in pure luxury.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jetsnap
Thanks for the lovely review, glad you enjoyed yourselves and we hope to welcome you back to the hall soon for another enjoyable stay
Bury
Reviewed 4 March 2013

A bit out of the way but a gem of a place for that perfect week-end getaway. The staff were very courteous & obliging with information about what's around the area. We had a bottle of Prosecco compliments of the hotel in our rooms on arrival which was very
Our bedrooms which in the new part, were spacious, warm and comfortable and also had patio doors leading a very charming garden and we were just across the hallway from the spa, which was very handy for an early morning dip.
We ate in the restaurant on the Friday evening of our arrival and the food was beautifully presented and superb quality.
On Saturday we ate in the Clock Tower Bistro, as the restaurant was being used for a private function, however this was poor in comparison. Parts of the hotel are dated and needed a good lick of paint but considering the size of the building it's a big task to under take.
The size of the doors in the original part of the Hall were beautiful.and well maintained.
The breakfast on both mornings was hot with plenty of variety and beautifully presented.
A very enjoyable week-end and would return at some point in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stu042Bury
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write the review and I am glad on the whole you had a good stay. Sorry to hear if you were miss led with the restaurant being closed due to a function as this is never the case, the resaurant is open each evening and is never closed for a private function. Painting had started in January when the hotel was less busy but as you understand it's a big task to keep up on. Hope to see you again soon
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Set in a rural location with well tended gardens, this hotel restores your faith in good old fashioned values coupled with excellent service. Fast efficient reception, lovely clean twin bedded room with a large flat screen TV that worked! Bathroom a bit dated but adequate. The restaurant dinner was of high quality - the steak was cooked to perfection. The décor throughout the resident's areas was impressive and spotlessly clean. Although the outside temperatures were freezing - this huge building was kept comfortably warm throughout. The hotel appeared to be a bit light on staff but whenever you needed someone or something - they were there. Our overall experience was let down by the afternoon tea --- sandwiches were about an inch thick and the wait between sandwiches and scones was about an hour! - we're still waiting the cakes!! But forewarned is forearmed and we'd happily return to the hotel and recommend it to our friends and family.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hall, thank you for the comments - Just to clarify about the afternoon tea as we have had a few comments about this, which is dissapointing for us. The company that advertised the promotion were told that it was not an afternoon tea and that is was in fact tea/coffee, cake and sandwich which was said to be served in the Clocktower. By the time this was rectified by the company the vouchers had started selling and we were left with the task of explaining the "afternoon tea" I apologise for the confusion and so glad you will visit us again
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Remote location + lack of children in the pool make it perfect for a quite, relaxing retreat and the first impression as you come up to the building fits this. It looks very grand and impressive. However parts of inside are very dated- posh in the way your nan does it! Think doilies, pink salmon walls, cabinets of ornaments, large creepy portraits and wood panelling. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing if that is your taste as its clean and tidy throughout, and the room was much more modern, as was the spa and clock tower restaurant.

Our only real complaint was that several times we were left very infuriated waiting for service in the bar or particularly at breakfast. On more than one occasion we had to actually go to reception and ask if anyone was serving (funny that we always found someone sat at the computer?!) Maybe it doesn't help we went in early February when the hotel was quiet- but you would have hoped that meant even more attentive service not less.

Oh and the bed in our room was only a small double- my poor partner had very cold feet as they hung off the bed! May be worth asking if any of rooms have larger beds in other parts of hotel!

Room Tip: Biggest tip- don't bother paying extra to eat in the fancy hotel restaurant, the service just fe...
2 Thank Jennie G
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review the hall and for all your comments. I'm sorry to hear the stay wasn't what you were expecting. The hotel is an 1882 Country house and we don't want to take that style completely away. I am disappointed to hear the remarks about the staff and would appreciate it if you could contact me and let me know when you exactly stayed so I can investigate it further. As you see from previous reviews the staff are said to be attentive. We do have different styles of bedrooms and sizes of beds and I am sure we would have been able to accommodate this had we been told. I look forward to hearing from you and I do hope that you visit the hall again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangefni
Chateau Rhianfa
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Trecastell Hotel
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch

Been to Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!