“An Oasis in the middle of nowhere.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Llangefni
Crosby, United Kingdom
“An Oasis in the middle of nowhere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Overall this was a magical place. Isolated and better for it. The Building, Gardens, Facilities and service were second to none. We never saw a glum face from any of the staff. The willingness to accommodate any request was there. The Clock Tower restaurant where we ate on the first night was excellent, we did not try the fine dining in the main dining room as it was not our wish to do so. As I have spent most of my working life in accommodation of one sort or another this is up there with the best and for one particular reason. I hate staying in a room where there is no comfortable chair. Our room had 2, Oh what joy to sit and be comfortable without lying on a bed all of the time. I am so easily pleased. If I was to find fault which I am reluctant to do I would say that the menu in the Clock tower was limited. No one could tell us what was on the menu in the main dining room. The breakfast was not fresh (left under a lamp I think). Would go again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thanks for your review and taking the time to write it. I am glad the team made you feel welcome and that you were pleased with the room. The main dining room menu should be ready at 4.00p.m on a daily basis, so I will address this with the head chef. The breakfasts are made fresh each morning, so I will also address this with the head chef to see what went on. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights and there was aproblem with the gas, this meant a limited menu. Which was ok but not what we had expected, At breakfast we were told they didnt have the full menu so we had bacon and poached egg not very well presented. I then saw another guest offered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, which I would have had,Whilst there was a lot of staff, a few did not seem to be interested in guests and there did not seem to be anyone in overall charge. When we checked out the young man on the desk did not even say thank you or goodbye.Lovely house and gardens but I expected more .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sueceliachris
Thank you for your review and sorry the stay wasn’t up to standard. We did have a problem with the gas which was out of our control unfortunately but the team did try their best at sorting what they could for the guests with such limited resources. I am sorry about the communication break down during breakfast and I will address this, the full team should have been briefed what was available to have. I would hope that you would stay again to have a more enjoyable experience, and if you do please let us know and I am sure we can do something for you.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We went for our honeymoon weekend and we were really looking forward to going to stay in luxury. We were paying £248 b&b per night and I had booked and paid for a bottle of fizz in advance, for our arrival as a surprise and told the hotel it was our honeymoon.
No personal touches on arrival or in the room. We were shown into the bridal suite which was very dated and tired, with 80s decor, marks on the carpet and chipped woodwork.
Really spacious bathroom but you have to stand up out of the bath to reach the toiletries! The toiletries were also half empty.
Unfortunately the coffee cafetiere in the bedroom was full of old coffee grains at the bottom, one of the cups was dirty and there was a dirty champagne flute in the cupboard on the safe!
The mattress also sloped on one side.
The pool area is really nice but the showers there are old and the grout black.
I had to ask for our prosecco in the end as it didn't arrive, which spoiled the surprise somewhat, although a member of staff did apologise for this the next day.
Breakfast was a shambles on the first morning - there was no fresh fruit and when I asked for it to be replenished, it took ages, then there were no bowls so I had to ask and wait for those too. The fresh fruit salad was replenished with what looked and tasted like tinned grapefruit and mandarin segments. We had to ask for toast then received two lots and when my husband's breakfast arrived, it was cold. There were also two tables next to us complaining. At this point I went and complained about everything to the manager at reception who said he would sort it.

We were given one night gratis which we did accept and appreciated the gesture.

On a positive note, the gardens are lovely and the hallway on entering the hotel is beautiful as are the upstairs landings. We did have a lovely evening meal with pleasant service on the first night but we too thought the drinks were rather overpriced.

It's good to see the hotel responding to the comments on TripAdvisor and using them constructively. However, since I filled out a feedback sheet at the hotel, including my email address, it might have been nice to receive an acknowledgement following our stay.

We don't think the price of the room was fair and a few personal touches such as a nice welcome, flowers/fruit bowl (there were two apples on a plate) in the room or a free drink for honeymooners would have gone a long way to making our weekend feel special. As it was, I almost walked after the first night and did feel thoroughly disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms since the others are obviously dated and tired.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank debbie_neale
Thank you for your review, apologies your stay was not satisfactory and there were issues with breakfast and the housekeeping of your room. I am glad you appreciated the gesture that I offered you and I am also glad that you found positive things about the hall. Apologies over the feedback form we normally do reply to them so I don’t know what went wrong here and will look into it
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Overall the wedding reception and evening catering were faultless,fantastic venue for the happy couple to spend the first day of married life excellent .Stayed overnight very disappointed the next morning the full English breakfast was terribly overcooked the only downer on a fantastic weekend,only reason for four stars!.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, due to other feedback the issue regarding the breakfast has now hopefully been addressed to the kitchen team by the head chef. Glad you enjoyed the wedding
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

It is very quiet but very relaxing. Lovely place to unwind. We were there for our 25th WA. And made to feel very special nothing to much trouble. Would recommend if want a place to unwind. Not a lot to do around the area

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Glad you enjoyed your time at the hall and the team looked after you. We hope to welcome you back
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Having recently attended a wedding here, which included an overnight stay. I agree with all the previous comments regarding the location, rooms and especially the gardens, which were all of a high stardard. However the attitude of the staff which I had contact with, left a lot to be desired. It was an effort for them to be pleasant, almost alien!
An example of this, was when one of our party turned up 10mins late for breakfast. Whilst I appreciate there has to be cut off for serving cooked food. I was still waiting for my cooked breakfast, when our party member was told, he could not order a breakfast. The waiter did not even check with the chef first, before refusing.
So all things considered, although a very pleasant hotel in great surroundings, I don't think I'll be returning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Noeyedeer
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your review and I am glad on the whole you enjoyed the hall. Sorry about the breakfast but as you mentioned we do have to have a cut off, even though breakfasts may still be coming out, they do close promptly especially on Sunday, due to a busy lunch service.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Been to this hotel twice before brought 7 friends for the weekend. Beautiful hotel and spa but the food is a let down. Had 4 meals taken off the bill on first night. Second night hotel had no gas so the evening meal was a disaster. Over cooked. No apologises offered. We were treated appalling spoken to rudely by staff and on checking out when I mentioned this no response other than 'oh right'. No apology!! The lad at the clock tower and staff at the spa are great, shame about the rest!! Think they may have a new chef. If not they need one!! They need to sort it out ASAP!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Donna B
Thanks for the review, sorry to hear about your experience. We did experience difficulties with the gas which unfortunately was out of our control and made things harder for the team, which they shouldn’t take out on the guests. It did make cooking very difficult for the kitchen team and the chef has been with us for over seven years. I will pass your comments on and have it addressed. If you decide to stay again please let me know and I am sure I can sort something out for you to hopefully make your experience a bit better
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangefni
Chateau Rhianfa
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Lastra Farm Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!