“Incredible, what a relaxing and welcoming hotel”

Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Llangefni
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked this hotel for a mini break, just three nights, When we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the reception staff and then taken to our room by a staff member who gave us all the information we needed to find the bars, restaurants etc. when we entered our room there was a bottle of sparkling wine on ice just waiting our arrival, The food was exquisite, the only down side was the lack of life in the restaurant, it was so quiet. I had gone to wales to celebrate my birthday but I soon discovered the hotel restaurant was not the celebratory venue I had hoped for, under any other circumstances I would have been very comfortable and I have to stress this was not the fault of the hotel. The service, the room, the food I could not fault and for anyone seeking a little luxury and tranquillity in a perfect setting this has to be one of the best.
Do I recommend it? Most certainly!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thanks for the review and I am glad you had an enjoyable birthday here. We hope to welcome you back sometime soon

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Beautiful hotel and lovely grounds. Spa is A+++. Breakfast and breakfast staff were exceptional. The rooms and views are very nice. The Clocktower restaurant is fantastic (Rob the Head Chef, makes great meals). The guy who works in the bar at the Clocktower was also super efficient and courteous. We loved our stay and would return.

Just a couple of areas that need attention:
1. Tina on reception was extremely rude and unhelpful whilst managing our booking. I would recommend she attends further customer training. She is a let down to the hotel as it stands. Mind you the 2 other receptionists more than make up for Tina's shortfalls.
2. Room service (made by the main kitchen, not the Clocktower) was disappointing. I highly recommend dining at the Clocktower.

Overall an enjoyable stay in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for the review and your comments Daniel (Barman) and Rod (Chef) who work in the Clocktower are glad you had an enjoyable experience. Regarding your other comments we will look into it but I am glad it didn't spoil your stay. We hope you visit us again soon

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Looks great on the outside , nice gardens with some nice walks though the large deep gravel driveway did my Wifes new shoes no favours. Most of it is good on the inside too but some of the rooms are not what you expect for such a well positioned good looking and pricey hotel. We had room 36 , a quarter mile away from the reception , we checked in at 14:30 and had to circumnavigate piles of laundry and hoovers on the floors before reaching our pretty dated room overlooking a very large flat roof with two large extractor pipes, in a hotel at an airport I do expect to see at times planes from my window , in a Country House Hotel I do expect to see the country. Tried to change rooms but because of the function we were at it was full and i appreciated that a little , tried the Manager , he just said you have a better view than the people next door which strangely did not make me feel any better , he also said we don't have to stay if we don't want to and then went on to point out we were getting a discount rate anyway which I assume was meant to make me feel grateful. His notes did tell him that all those months ago when we booked a room we had asked to be upgraded if possible , that should have give him some insight to this guests expectations. I asked for a discount but was refused though he did relent on this later that day but even at the discounted price i would not stay in that room again. Breakfast was not good , food greasy and poached eggs hard boiled. literally , the only thing missing was a shell. And as part of a party we had to sit on certain couloured chairs at breakfast , we couldn't sit anywhere else , some people were actually moved , it was the feeling of being on one of segregated coach parties i've come across many years ago ,never known anything like it. Check out fine , but we and others too found previous guests items under the beds while packing to vacate. Tut Tut.

Room Tip: As said room 36 avoid if like me you expect a nice room with a view from a Country House Hotel at th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank robahardman
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for the review. Apologies that you did not find your stay enjoyable and that you weren’t pleased with certain aspects of your stay. With the housekeeping we do prioritise rooms checking in for arrivals and then any guests that are staying over will have their rooms serviced after that. Unfortunately this means that there are some items on the corridor until they have finished . I’m sorry you thought the room was dated and you weren’t pleased with the view but from check-in you were determined to be upgraded or have a discount. This was prior to even seeing the room. The room was discounted for you after you making threats to post a bad comment on Trip Advisor.
Apologies for the breakfast I will speak to the head chef about this and have it addressed. With regards to seating in the dining room, if most of the hotel is taken with wedding guests then we do seat them together on larger tables as this is usually preferred by the guest as everyone knows each other and want to be together.
My apologies again for finding items under the beds I will speak to housekeeping team to see what went wrong

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Overall this was a magical place. Isolated and better for it. The Building, Gardens, Facilities and service were second to none. We never saw a glum face from any of the staff. The willingness to accommodate any request was there. The Clock Tower restaurant where we ate on the first night was excellent, we did not try the fine dining in the main dining room as it was not our wish to do so. As I have spent most of my working life in accommodation of one sort or another this is up there with the best and for one particular reason. I hate staying in a room where there is no comfortable chair. Our room had 2, Oh what joy to sit and be comfortable without lying on a bed all of the time. I am so easily pleased. If I was to find fault which I am reluctant to do I would say that the menu in the Clock tower was limited. No one could tell us what was on the menu in the main dining room. The breakfast was not fresh (left under a lamp I think). Would go again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review and taking the time to write it. I am glad the team made you feel welcome and that you were pleased with the room. The main dining room menu should be ready at 4.00p.m on a daily basis, so I will address this with the head chef. The breakfasts are made fresh each morning, so I will also address this with the head chef to see what went on. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hall

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights and there was aproblem with the gas, this meant a limited menu. Which was ok but not what we had expected, At breakfast we were told they didnt have the full menu so we had bacon and poached egg not very well presented. I then saw another guest offered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, which I would have had,Whilst there was a lot of staff, a few did not seem to be interested in guests and there did not seem to be anyone in overall charge. When we checked out the young man on the desk did not even say thank you or goodbye.Lovely house and gardens but I expected more .

2  Thank sueceliachris

Thank you for your review and sorry the stay wasn’t up to standard. We did have a problem with the gas which was out of our control unfortunately but the team did try their best at sorting what they could for the guests with such limited resources. I am sorry about the communication break down during breakfast and I will address this, the full team should have been briefed what was available to have. I would hope that you would stay again to have a more enjoyable experience, and if you do please let us know and I am sure we can do something for you.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We went for our honeymoon weekend and we were really looking forward to going to stay in luxury. We were paying £248 b&b per night and I had booked and paid for a bottle of fizz in advance, for our arrival as a surprise and told the hotel it was our honeymoon.
No personal touches on arrival or in the room. We were shown into the bridal suite which was very dated and tired, with 80s decor, marks on the carpet and chipped woodwork.
Really spacious bathroom but you have to stand up out of the bath to reach the toiletries! The toiletries were also half empty.
Unfortunately the coffee cafetiere in the bedroom was full of old coffee grains at the bottom, one of the cups was dirty and there was a dirty champagne flute in the cupboard on the safe!
The mattress also sloped on one side.
The pool area is really nice but the showers there are old and the grout black.
I had to ask for our prosecco in the end as it didn't arrive, which spoiled the surprise somewhat, although a member of staff did apologise for this the next day.
Breakfast was a shambles on the first morning - there was no fresh fruit and when I asked for it to be replenished, it took ages, then there were no bowls so I had to ask and wait for those too. The fresh fruit salad was replenished with what looked and tasted like tinned grapefruit and mandarin segments. We had to ask for toast then received two lots and when my husband's breakfast arrived, it was cold. There were also two tables next to us complaining. At this point I went and complained about everything to the manager at reception who said he would sort it.

We were given one night gratis which we did accept and appreciated the gesture.

On a positive note, the gardens are lovely and the hallway on entering the hotel is beautiful as are the upstairs landings. We did have a lovely evening meal with pleasant service on the first night but we too thought the drinks were rather overpriced.

It's good to see the hotel responding to the comments on TripAdvisor and using them constructively. However, since I filled out a feedback sheet at the hotel, including my email address, it might have been nice to receive an acknowledgement following our stay.

We don't think the price of the room was fair and a few personal touches such as a nice welcome, flowers/fruit bowl (there were two apples on a plate) in the room or a free drink for honeymooners would have gone a long way to making our weekend feel special. As it was, I almost walked after the first night and did feel thoroughly disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms since the others are obviously dated and tired.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank debbie_neale

Thank you for your review, apologies your stay was not satisfactory and there were issues with breakfast and the housekeeping of your room. I am glad you appreciated the gesture that I offered you and I am also glad that you found positive things about the hall. Apologies over the feedback form we normally do reply to them so I don’t know what went wrong here and will look into it

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Overall the wedding reception and evening catering were faultless,fantastic venue for the happy couple to spend the first day of married life excellent .Stayed overnight very disappointed the next morning the full English breakfast was terribly overcooked the only downer on a fantastic weekend,only reason for four stars!.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review, due to other feedback the issue regarding the breakfast has now hopefully been addressed to the kitchen team by the head chef. Glad you enjoyed the wedding

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangefni
Chateau Rhianfa
#2 of 4 in Beaumaris
Trecastell Hotel
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch

Been to Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!