“What a difference”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Kendal, United Kingdom
“What a difference”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

I have stayed at this Lees run hotel over the last 30 years or so during my working life, it was always comfortable if a little dated. The dining room was always a gem with great views of the gardens down to the Menai Straits. Not having visited for a number of years my wife and I recently stayed for one nights B & B, Wow! what a change! Lees have spent a lot of time and money in a major revamp of this old building. The entrance and bar areas have been completely altered and have a modern feel and yet retain the hotels style. We had the Menai bedroom which was amazing, lovely fittings to suit this large bedroom with a really large bed with views from two large windows of the gardens. The bathroom was also large with a semi-circle bath and combined shower, and very nice decor. The bedroom and bathroom were also very clean with attention to the detail. The Welsh breakfast was of a high quality and more than enough to keep you going all day. The staff were really helpfull and friendly and although the fire alarm went off at 6.30am it was still an enjoyable stay and we would certainly visit again

Room Tip: Any of the modern updated rooms are worth staying in
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
We are all very happy you enjoyed your visit.
Dont leave it another 30 Yrs!

See you soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

Desperate to find somewhere for lunch, we were delighted to find this modernised pub so close to the Menai Bridge. It was very up-to-date with an excellent menue and service. The food was well presented and the plates were not overfull. We enjoyed every mouthfull and felt welcome and relaxed. Full marks for everything and we could easily have missed it had we not spotted the food served all day notice across the roundabout.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your constructive positive feedback.
We look forward to seeing you again soon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

The friendliness of the staff was apparent from the moment I arrived. The rooms was beautifully furnished and the overall colour scheme very calm. Bar and restaurant served delicious food with just the right amount of choice both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. Breakfast was cooked to order. Poached eggs were perfect! I am going back next week and I can't wait :-)

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank NinaMartyka
ezza600, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you for your comments.

We hope to see you again soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

We decided to give the Anglesey Arms another try this week after past experiences (most of what was on the menu was not available). We were shown to a table which the waitress cleaned for us and were given menus. We were informed that there was no Marmalade to go with the Burger, no Pate, and a couple of other meals were also not available?! Again, we felt disappointed and left without eating. This is a lovely little pub, and the refurb is fab, but in my opinion the menu lets it down. It would be nice o see some 'normal' dishes on offer on the menu like Garlic mushrooms Starter, Lasagne, Salmon Fillet etc.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rhodrigo
ezza600, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you very much for your review.
Judging by your comments I am assuming you visited us over the period of the birth of Noah, our heur Head Chefs new baby boy.
I am very sorry you encountered us selling out of a few items off the menu.

We are Launching our new menu soon and your comments regarding 'more traditional' items have been taken on board and we will be including some on the new menu, my personal favourite being the liver and bacon with mash and redwine gravy.

I trust you will be able to contact me directly so you can discuss your experiences.

Kind regards

Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

We got married here this summer. The hotel had many good points as a wedding venue. The accomadtion was lovely, clean, spacious and reasonably priced. The majority of the staff were very friendly, polite and hard working. The food (buffet style in our case) was very tasty and had lots of compliments from our guests. However there were also some major issues that I think other furture wedding parties should be aware of. I believe in the spring there was a change In management. Sadly I don't think much of a handover was involved. Many of the things we were promised in long doscusions with the old manager simply didn't hapen. For example, guests were meant to be directed though the conservatory entrance on arrival in order to attempt to keep things separate from the public bar. They weren't, in fact no one was there to great them or show them the way. The bar in the function room was meant to be open before and after the cermony for our guests. This just didn't happen for the majority of our wedding which in my opinion ruined the 'wedding atmosphere' as many guests were lost to the pub. Various reasons / excuses were given ranging from being short staffed, not enough stock, to guests not spending enough money depending who you talked to. Myself and friends put our table pieces on 3 of the tables in the morning. Staff promised to set the other two tables after the cermony. This never happened and the 2 tables were left bare. I woud also suggest that furture brides bring there own cd player for music to walk down the aisle to. There's didn't work on the day which was not the first time it had failed according to the regististar. Basically we were pretty much abandoned for the day, had to ask for the cake knife but no plates for serving it ever arrived. It was such a shame as with a bit of effort this could be a lovely hotel for a wedding. I have emailed the hotel to express my views but heard nothing bak so I presume, like on our wedding day, they aren't really bothered.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WalesHippo123
ezza600, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am suprised that it has taken so long for you to write it.

It is true that there was a change of manager at the beginning of the wedding season.
Upon the handover, the dedicated wedding and function team that has been in place for years was used to deliver the weddings, so that there was as little information lost as possible.

I am very sorry that all the Information from the previous manager was not fully handed over to me personally ,however my initial expectations were that this dedicated team would be able to deliver as they had done over the past years and to the best of my knowledge through this year also.

From your review and my experience, it is obvious that the team in place had not been fully kept up to date either by the previous manager and that extensive notes where not available to any of us.

In the early days of my management here I discovered a number of extremely poor practices which led to many issues for this team with our delivery of weddings and functions which we worked around and even exceeded most of our Brides expectations.

I apologise unreservedly if a few details where lost which spoiled your day in any way.

I can assure you that if any such problems had been brought to my attention, then I would have resoled them immediately.

As it is so long since the function and I have no detail as to exactly what was missed by comparison to the original documented requirements, I cannot possibly comment on any specific details except for the issue with the music system.

I know that we had a number of Issues with copied CD's instead of originals being used, which unfortunately you can never guarentee to work in any system other than the one which creates it.

Regarding email, Unfortunately we have no record of a complaint being received regarding any wedding this year, I have searched our system using as many references as possible and nothing has showed up.

We do however have a number of compliment emails from Brides and families who have enjoyed their special days with us. In fact we have already had bookings for first anniversary dinners.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to make contact with us directly so we can work through any points you have to raise regarding your day.
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Six of us have just been to the anglesey arms and were well fed and watered!
Ranging in age from 18-80 and we were all pleased with our choices
the staff were attentive and pleasant and we all enjoyed the meal.The scallops were lovely all the way to the cheese board.It's not easy to please 19 and 21 yr olds let alone fill them,but everyone left happy and full.thanks

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you for your review.
It is always great to get such positive feedback.

We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Vienna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

Easy to find, right over the Menai Bridge. Good parking. Large room with picture window looking down at the round about. We had a decent meal in good time and the tables were fully occupied. There's a lovely walk behind the hotel with a great look at under the Menai Bridge. Going around you get to a promanade going to a small island church and cemetary and a nice woods walk. There's a small grocery store right around the corner where we picked up food for the ferry boat ride to Dublin the next morning.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
ezza600, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you very much for your review.
I trust your journey was not to strenuous and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel
Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
Premier Inn Bangor Hotel

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!