“High standards - a real treat!”
Review of The Anglesey Arms

The Anglesey Arms
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Lancashire
“High standards - a real treat!”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Visited The Anglesey Arms to dine one evening. Perfect food - quality and hearty portions. We asked about the rooms while we were there, and a lovely lady promptly showed us two vacant rooms. Rooms looked excellent, one with a jacuzzi bath :)
Although we didn't stay, we can heartily recommend the dining.

• Stayed July 2013
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
The team has worked very hard to ensure standards are kept high and it is wonderful to get such validation for all the hard work.
we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Eric

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Lancashire
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have never stayed overnight here so can't comment on the facilities for the hotel guests but the restaurant is great. I've eaten here twice on Sundays for the roast lunches and been a guest at a wedding here and also dined last night with a friend. We arrived early and it's August so I did expect the place to be busy. The bar area gets packed on a weekend night in the summer. However I had no problem booking a table the week before and the food was great, tempura of prawns to start, followed by oven roasted tenderloin of pork for me and rump of lamb for my 'very fussy foodie' companion who works in the food industry. Decent sized portions and a fabulous cheese board to finish although we were surprised that there were no local cheeses included. If you are a mussels fan they do have Menai straits mussels on the menu at the moment. The service was a bit patchy with us having to get up and look for staff twice, but when we found them they were lovely. I've now eaten here four times at different times of they year and whilst it is not the cheapest place on the island, you get what you pay for. Food wise I think it rivals The Bull in Beaumaris for quality, its just the service and the noise from the bar that detract from the whole experience. Having said that, its nice to see the pub part doing well in these dark days for the licensed trade. Enjoyable. Give it a go!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.
The kitchen team were delighted with it especially.

Kind Regards
UK
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Visited on a busy Friday evening and although the place was packed, we could not fault the attentive and friendly service from the waitresses. The food was, however, very disappointing.

Fish and chips came as a huge portion of white fish (cod?) with a slightly limp batter coating, undercooked chips and what looked like tinned mushy peas. Shame about the chips as they looked handcut rather than frozen but the insides were raw and they weren't crispy.

Paella seemed to be a freezer-to-microwave version with some extra tiger prawns added. The mussels were tiny and tasteless, a few processed cubes of chicken, the small squid rings were chewy and there was the odd bit of chorizo floating about in the watery rice. This insult to Spanish cooking was topped with a langoustine that hadn't even been properly cleaned so that when I snapped off its head it leaked bluish/brown ooze and further dissection led to gritty stomach contents. Ew! I'm not squeamish about tearing seafood apart but I'd expect a garnish like this, which I guess is designed to be eaten and isn't just there to look pretty, to be edible.

This was the furthest thing from a paella I've had the misfortune to witness. If the chef can't make a dish him/herself, it shouldn't be on the menu. Nobody wants to be paying £10.95 for a poor quality ready meal!

I'd be wary of ordering anything other than bog-standard pub food from this menu as it seems that the kitchen staff can only just manage a deep fryer and a microwave.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
I am very sorry we didn't live up to our standards on your visit.
As you said it was an extremely busy night and I can only assume it was one of this years extremely hot weekends.
Unfortunately we did encounter some service issues from the kitchen in these big hits and it appears that the standard of your food was not up to par on this occasion.
I can assure you we DO NOT MICROWAVE the paella, however yours appears to be nothing like our dish.
I would appreciate a call to go through you r experience should you be free to do so.

Kind regards

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I arrived alone on a Sunday evening for a one night stay. I had taken the boat to Holyhead from Dublin, a train from Holyhead to Bangor and then a taxi to the AA. I was glad of a warm relaxed setting. The staff were friendly and the room was lovely. The highlight of my stay was the food. A beautifully presented meal which filled my belly. I would most definitely recommend this place to anyone traveling on business in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words.
It means an enormous amount to the team when we receive these types of review.
Everyone puts in a great amount of effort and it is great to see it is appreciated.

thanks again

north wales
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We went for our 25th anniversary to the Anglesey Arms as it was there we had our wedding reception back in 1988.
When we arrived we were taken to our table with a free bottle of bubbly ready on it, after settling in we were asked if we wanted to see the place now it's been renovated, we did and had a grand tour of what looks like an excellent hotel.
Back to the food we ordered anti pasta to start, lovely, main was chicken in to sauce for me and tagliatelle for my husband again absolutely gorgeous, sweet we shared cheese and bis as we were both stuffed.
The service we received was superb, the hotel was full as was the Restaraunt due it being graduation week, however we were treated as if we were the most important people there.
We will be returning soon.

• Stayed July 2013

we are all very happy you enjoyed your time with us on this special occasion.

See you again soon

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We visited with our 2 year old and 8 week old daughters. Food was lovely but the service could have been vastly improved. It wasn't even busy. Staff hanging around not knowing where to put themselves. Lack of knowledge too. Only AFTER we had ordered were we told they didn't have any Seabass. Slow clearance of tables. Staff need educating about service and a kick up the proverbial. One girl doing all the work! Would go again if service improves.

• Stayed July 2013
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
I have had a period away and would love to speak to you directly regarding your comments.
Kind regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed at the Anglesey Arms for 3 nights with our 2 dogs, and can not find a negative thing to say about the hotel, the staff were excellent a really friendly bunch of people. The food was again excellent and value for money. Thought the rooms were very comfortable, am quite fussy about my pillows but must say I slept like a baby, all rooms tastefully decorated. The situation of the hotel was great for us with the dogs right at the end of the Menai Bridge we had some lovely walks first thing of a morning and at night and saying that never heard any traffic in the room. Would we go back!! You bet roll on September looking forward to it

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your Fantastic review.
we look forward to seeing you again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!