“A Birthday Meal”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
“A Birthday Meal”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

It was a friends birthday. We'd heard good things about the food at The Anglesey Arms, Menai Bridge and as there is plenty of parking and it's centrally located, booked a table for 11 of us.

The table was ready for us on arrival in a good position. We sat and waited. Unfortunately, nobody came to take our drink order or to offer us menus. We ordered drinks at the bar and after half an hour asked for menus. It took some time for the waitress to come and take our order. On the plus side, when our main courses arrived they were lovely.

Again the Customer Service failed when it came to ordering desserts and coffee. We waited over an hour and it was only once prompted that a girl came over to take our orders and clear the main course dishes. The puddings were delicious but the coffee was pretty poor.

Nobody came to our table to ask if we needed anything throughout the meal. We could have walked out without paying. It was almost like we were invisible. As we were putting our coats on to go, we had to request the bill as again we were being ignored. Our payment was left on the table and we had to ask a member of staff to take the money from the table, which appeared to be a bit of an effort on her part!

In fairness to The Anglesey Arms, it was a busy evening in the pub. Maybe they were low on staff, but that does not excuse the shoddy way we were treated. We didn't want to be pampered but basic customer service would have been good.

It didn't appear that anybody was in charge of over seeing the requirements of customers ordering/eating food and maybe this is something that the management need to address to be certain of repeat local custom.

On reflection I'm disappointed in my experience of The Anglesey Arms Hotel, after hearing positive comments, I had expected a lot better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SamSq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We met friends for an evening meal. Our friends commented that the prices had risen since they visited last. However we felt that the meal represented good value, and the service was good. The vegetarian option was excellent.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
wales
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Visited the Anglesey New Years eve. Selected the fish and chips and other members in the party selected other options from the menu. Excellent quality and portions sizes. All in all well worth a visit thanks guys

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Visited here with my elderly grandparents from London and I must say I was very happy! The food was cooked to a high standard and beautifully presented with just enough to fill you. My grandmother had the smoked salmon started and fish and chips main which she enjoyed very much as did my grandfather with his soup and steak, I had fishcakes which were beautiful and the pork belly which was to die for!
The service received from the staff was warm and friendly with nothing being to much bother for them. We were offered drink refiles at the table which was lucky as the bar was very busy. One of the local waitresses was very helpful with giving us advise of places to visit and things to do as we were down and had plenty of time for us and all our questions even though she was very busy.
Safe to say I will defiantly be returning next time I am down.

Stayed December 2013
N Wales
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Booked a table a couple of weeks in advance. Busy in the bar on arrival but not at the tables. Warm welcome from Reception and our waitress. Unfortunately from there it went downhill. We were very hungry after travelling for a few hours so ordered the chicken terrine to share which was bland and the ‘piccalilli’ with it was just mini cauliflower florets. For the main I chose the rack of lamb. At £17.95 I expected a rack, not 2 fiddly cutlets which were stringy and tasteless. He chose pork belly which was ok although the crackling was overdone and very difficult to eat. We also ordered a side order of chips which were hard so I let the waitress know. She actually squashed 2 chips between her fingers at the table to test them before disappearing into the kitchen with them! A replacement bowl arrived a few mins later. Some were cooked but some were still hard. My husband managed to finish my meal as I couldn’t. In hindsight we should have complained there and then but we were so disappointed we just paid and left. We've always made this a port of call on arrival on Anglesey, never again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank bluelizard
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Booked for our New Year's Eve early afternoon lunch and had a lovely meal. The staff where very friendly and had plenty of time even though the place was busy. The food was of excellent standard and very well presented and complimented by a very reasonably priced wine list. This was our first visit but certainly won't be our last

Stayed December 2013
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I attended a party at the Anglesey Arms and have to say it was quite an experience.

The room was decorated lovely and tables were dressed well. However, as we sat down ready for our meal we noticed that there was no water on the table to have with the food. So my friend asked a waitress for some water only to be smirked at and the waitress walked off - presumably to get the water - no, this didn't happen.

The food that was served was very bland and needed a bit of seasoning (lucky there was salt and pepper on the table) Would not have food there again if I'm honest.

I understand that it was a very busy night and the staff were on the go however the sweat dripping off a couple of the waiters was not very nice - especially when serving food! The waitresses were dropping cutlery everywhere. Not very professional. When we asked for some clean wine glasses - the waitress handed over 12 tumbler glasses which hadn't even been washed! We obviously sent these back and eventually were give clean glasses.

The ladies toilets were a disgrace! There were glasses all over the place along with vomit and other things! It was an awful smell.

Overall opinion of the Anglesey Arms - Leaves a lot to be desired and wouldn't recommend based on this experience I'm afraid.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!