“The food is excellent....what a pity about the management”
Review of The Anglesey Arms

The Anglesey Arms
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have stayed on a number of occasions and found the place to be excellent....HOWEVER following management change at the end of 2013....my last stay was disappointing. Having requested to the manager.....a plug for the sink for FOUR days...on my last night I got one!(Having asked one of the lady receptionist) The window catch never was fixed (even though the window led to a flat roof).... neither was the 'sticking' door which had to be shouldered to open and banged to be shut!! Please get a lift installed!
Returning to the room on the third night I found it had not been serviced at all, the nice young waitress was very apologetic and helpful.The manager seems to enjoy late nights but in consequence has trouble turning up in time to open up for breakfast staff and a friendly greeting would be appreciated....rather than being subjected to the exasperation in his voice and 'f' expletives as he switches on his computer. Does he think customers are deaf or that they should accept his bad language/grumpiness? Get a grip...get an alarm clock....7.30 breakfast should be laid out ready for 7.30. There needs to be a change in attitude there... and a friendly smile would help. The food has always been good but is now exceptionally good,...(except Sunday breakfast....how does bacon egg and mushroom be piled on top of each other to look like a rosti ...with soggy toast?).... Thankfully the friendly and helpful waiting staff took the edge off the management's attitude. I will give them ONE more chance in the hope that it is teething troubles and inexperience which will improve...but ONLY one chance! Such a shame!

Room Tip: Any room when turning to the left at the top of the stairs overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 50Ellen50
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit.
I am very sorry you have encountered issues in site and I have undergone an investigation to establish the facts of the points you raised.

As I am still the GM I can assure you that the problems you encountered will NOT happen again.
Please accept my apologies for the is very uncharacteristic behaviour from a member of the Team.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We found ourselves in the Anglesey Arms on the Friday night of St David's day having struggled to find any where to eat in Menai Bridge. The place was packed but we thought it was worth asking about a table for 5 and they said they could get us in if we waited 30 - 40 minutes. We grabbed and drink and waited and after 30 minutes our table was ready. The menu is not extensive but was interesting and there was more than one thing everyone fancied. The server was friendly and drinks and a jug of iced water were quickly delivered. Some of the food was nice and homely like the turkey curry and rice whilst the port 3 ways was more of a restaurant meal. The rest of the party went for steak and prawns which they praised particularly the chips and place and chips. All portions were generous, well cooked and arrived piping hot the veg with the pork was cooked but not soggy. We had a lovely meal but it was late so we passed on pudding but we will be going back as we had a really nice meal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking your time to write such a pleasant review. not many people take time out to praise.
I have copied the rest of the team and they have taken great heart from it.

Thanks
again

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I are staying in Talybont for a few days, and this evening we went to the Anglesey Arms for dinner as it is my birthday. We both had beautiful food, main course followed by dessert, and one coffee.The food was really delicious, but we were shocked by the lack of interest shown by the staff. There was no interaction with their customers whatsoever. It is a beautiful hotel, and we were talking about staying there next time we come to Wales However we wouldn't dream of doing that after tonight. At a cost of almost 48 pounds it wasn't cheap, but would have been well with it had the attitude of the staff been more caring. Needless to say we did not leave a tip!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ivysproule

Thank you for your review.
I have taken the issues you raised up with the team and we have undergone a major refocus.
I have not been as present at The Anglesey As I would like and as a result some standards appear to have slipped.
I am now back in the Saddle and blazing a way back to much better service.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Have been for a meal previously (but too long ago to write a review here - unlike some other potentially vindictive sorts). Just popped in for a drink with friends and was very impressed by the friendly service (offered to taste a few beers and they encourage us to move the chairs to suit our party). Nice atmosphere and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, whether eating or drinking.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your positive review and Opinions.
The team and I were very happy to read your review.

It gives hope that all is well in the world!

I respond to the majority of reviews and I have never had a phone call from any of the negative reviews. strange that.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We don't live far away, but as we have family in Menai Bridge, we find the Anglesey Arms perfect for overnight stays when going to a family party. Both times we have been in rooms on the second floor and so have never had any problems with noise from the bar. I think I would always ask for a second floor room, just in case, but as it isn't really a late night pub, I don't think that it would be a huge problem. The first time we stayed, it was in a room at the side of the hotel, which perhaps isn't used as much as those at the front. Whatever the reason, we found the room at the front was showing a few signs of wear and tear - nothing serious. The rooms are a good size, as are the bathrooms, with plenty of hot water for baths and copious showers. Individually cooked breakfast, which I always prefer to any buffet arrangement. We've never had dinner here, only had a drink at the bar, but we've had no problems with service. It's not polished or sophisticated, but friendly and adequate, and i would say value for money. I'm sure we will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

we look forward to seeing you again soon,

and hopefully you might even eat with us!

kind regards

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Overall, we were a little disappointed with our stay at the Anglesey Arms. One very positive thing we must say firstly is that the standard of the make-over that the hotel has had is superb. All the decor & fittings were of very high quality & sturdy construction. The first thing that surprised us was the size of our double room. It was really only big enough to be a single & there wasn't even room for a bedside table at each side of the bed. Maybe we were unlucky as the chart on our wall showed most of the other bedrooms to be larger but you shouldn't have "unlucky". In complete contrast, the well-appointed bathroom was a lovely size.

Whilst one might expect some noise from beer chillers/extracts when staying at a pub, perhaps again we were "unlucky" with our room as the noise from outside our window was worse than we'd ever experienced before. Luckily, it was winter so we could close the window to keep some of it out but it would have been awful in summer. Looking at the installation the next morning, perhaps the services of a good M&E engineer are required to provide proper noise attenuation to this, admittedly, vital equipment?

At breakfast again, perhaps we were just "unlucky". We went down to breakfast at 9am but no breakfast arrived until ten to ten. The reason was a large party of 16 arriving for breakfast just before us. There was only one girl serving & the poor lass was rushed off her feet. No attempt seemed to have been made by the management to cater for such a large number at breakfast time. Obviously, they may not have been staying at the hotel, in which case perhaps we were just "unlucky"? It has to be said that when the food finally did arrive the quality was very high, except that my requested poached eggs appeared to have been fried & the toast order arrived neither before, during or after the meal. We didn't bother to complain because having waited nearly an hour we didn't want any further delay as we had a long distance to travel.

All the staff we met were most polite & friendly; so, perhaps in our overall experience we were just "unlucky"?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MalcHG

Thank you for your review.
we are an old refurbished building which means that we can only work within the confines of what we have. we have 2 grades of double room we let out. depending upon the timing of your booking you may be upgraded. on this occasion you were in our last room. unless the hotel is purpose built, every hotel has this room. I am sorry you were here, but it was our last room.
The positioning of the equipment is again due to the structure of the building. I do not recall ever having a complaint about the machine noise from that room. again I am sorry but it was the last room.

Breakfast was a fiasco due to the lack of control of a duty manager the evening before and I am very sorry this affected your stay.

kind regards

Reviewed 18 January 2014

It was a friends birthday. We'd heard good things about the food at The Anglesey Arms, Menai Bridge and as there is plenty of parking and it's centrally located, booked a table for 11 of us.

The table was ready for us on arrival in a good position. We sat and waited. Unfortunately, nobody came to take our drink order or to offer us menus. We ordered drinks at the bar and after half an hour asked for menus. It took some time for the waitress to come and take our order. On the plus side, when our main courses arrived they were lovely.

Again the Customer Service failed when it came to ordering desserts and coffee. We waited over an hour and it was only once prompted that a girl came over to take our orders and clear the main course dishes. The puddings were delicious but the coffee was pretty poor.

Nobody came to our table to ask if we needed anything throughout the meal. We could have walked out without paying. It was almost like we were invisible. As we were putting our coats on to go, we had to request the bill as again we were being ignored. Our payment was left on the table and we had to ask a member of staff to take the money from the table, which appeared to be a bit of an effort on her part!

In fairness to The Anglesey Arms, it was a busy evening in the pub. Maybe they were low on staff, but that does not excuse the shoddy way we were treated. We didn't want to be pampered but basic customer service would have been good.

It didn't appear that anybody was in charge of over seeing the requirements of customers ordering/eating food and maybe this is something that the management need to address to be certain of repeat local custom.

On reflection I'm disappointed in my experience of The Anglesey Arms Hotel, after hearing positive comments, I had expected a lot better.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
The Bulkeley Hotel
The Bulkeley Hotel
#2 of 4 in Beaumaris

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!