“Nice rooms, shame about the staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Anglesey Arms

and 1 more site!
The Anglesey Arms
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Nice rooms, shame about the staff”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed in a family room which was large, clean and nicely furnished. My daughter's mattress was very uncomfortable and this was changed for the second night. Breakfast took an age to be served and wasn't that great when it arrived cold bacon, over cooked black pudding. Staff are not welcoming and unapologetic when something is wrong. Shame because the hotel is really nice. There's loads of places to stay in Menai Bridge, so we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
I am very sorry that the service you received was below standard.
I would be most grateful for a call to investigate the issues further.
Kind regards
Eric

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went as a walking group of mixed ages, for 2 nights and we were welcomed and looked after by such friendly and helpful staff, especially Katie, Val and Becca. Rooms were very comfortable and nicely furnished. Food was good, just needed breakfast to be served more timely. We would return again. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SANrY777
Thank you for your review.
your point on breakfast has been brought up with both managers and Kitchen team and we will now be pre booking larger groups for breakfast so as to allocate time between all our residents and not having the whole hotel sit at once.

Thanks again

Wallasey
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We booked the Anglesey Arms on bookings.com for a last minute meet up with friends . What a great place! Our room was huge, comfortable and nicely/smartly decorated with a lovely big bathroom and fluffy towels! Loads of tea and coffee too! The hotel was heaving on Saturday night and had a great atmosphere. Breakfast was terrific, pretty much all the standard offerings, loads of choice. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a hotel near Beaumaris or Menai Bridge or even Bangor. Excellent! will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a positive review.
we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Eric & Team
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Visited Anglesey Arms for an early evening mother's day meal, ordered and received our drinks but the meal was very slow arriving. The food prices are high so maybe we expected more, the food was very mediocre and certainly not on par with other local pubs. Overall a very disappointing visit, over priced will not be returning for seconds.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us and that we fell below standard.

I have received an enormous amount of positive feedback from the day and we do try our hardest to accommodate all needs on this very important day.
Of the 280 diners on the day , I have received your review as the only negative, so I would be interested in hearing from you directly.
As we are a fresh food establishment, I am interested also to learn which pubs locally you are comparing us to for quality and price. One of my jobs weekly is to review the local menus (for both our frozen food competition and fresh) and to compare our pricing to ensure we are cheaper than our closest rivals.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you in person.

Channel Islands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have stayed on a number of occasions and found the place to be excellent....HOWEVER following management change at the end of 2013....my last stay was disappointing. Having requested to the manager.....a plug for the sink for FOUR days...on my last night I got one!(Having asked one of the lady receptionist) The window catch never was fixed (even though the window led to a flat roof).... neither was the 'sticking' door which had to be shouldered to open and banged to be shut!! Please get a lift installed!
Returning to the room on the third night I found it had not been serviced at all, the nice young waitress was very apologetic and helpful.The manager seems to enjoy late nights but in consequence has trouble turning up in time to open up for breakfast staff and a friendly greeting would be appreciated....rather than being subjected to the exasperation in his voice and 'f' expletives as he switches on his computer. Does he think customers are deaf or that they should accept his bad language/grumpiness? Get a grip...get an alarm clock....7.30 breakfast should be laid out ready for 7.30. There needs to be a change in attitude there... and a friendly smile would help. The food has always been good but is now exceptionally good,...(except Sunday breakfast....how does bacon egg and mushroom be piled on top of each other to look like a rosti ...with soggy toast?).... Thankfully the friendly and helpful waiting staff took the edge off the management's attitude. I will give them ONE more chance in the hope that it is teething troubles and inexperience which will improve...but ONLY one chance! Such a shame!

Room Tip: Any room when turning to the left at the top of the stairs overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 50Ellen50
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit.
I am very sorry you have encountered issues in site and I have undergone an investigation to establish the facts of the points you raised.

As I am still the GM I can assure you that the problems you encountered will NOT happen again.
Please accept my apologies for the is very uncharacteristic behaviour from a member of the Team.

Kind regards
Midlands - UK
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We found ourselves in the Anglesey Arms on the Friday night of St David's day having struggled to find any where to eat in Menai Bridge. The place was packed but we thought it was worth asking about a table for 5 and they said they could get us in if we waited 30 - 40 minutes. We grabbed and drink and waited and after 30 minutes our table was ready. The menu is not extensive but was interesting and there was more than one thing everyone fancied. The server was friendly and drinks and a jug of iced water were quickly delivered. Some of the food was nice and homely like the turkey curry and rice whilst the port 3 ways was more of a restaurant meal. The rest of the party went for steak and prawns which they praised particularly the chips and place and chips. All portions were generous, well cooked and arrived piping hot the veg with the pork was cooked but not soggy. We had a lovely meal but it was late so we passed on pudding but we will be going back as we had a really nice meal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking your time to write such a pleasant review. not many people take time out to praise.
I have copied the rest of the team and they have taken great heart from it.

Thanks
again

Manorhamilton
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I are staying in Talybont for a few days, and this evening we went to the Anglesey Arms for dinner as it is my birthday. We both had beautiful food, main course followed by dessert, and one coffee.The food was really delicious, but we were shocked by the lack of interest shown by the staff. There was no interaction with their customers whatsoever. It is a beautiful hotel, and we were talking about staying there next time we come to Wales However we wouldn't dream of doing that after tonight. At a cost of almost 48 pounds it wasn't cheap, but would have been well with it had the attitude of the staff been more caring. Needless to say we did not leave a tip!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ivysproule
Thank you for your review.
I have taken the issues you raised up with the team and we have undergone a major refocus.
I have not been as present at The Anglesey As I would like and as a result some standards appear to have slipped.
I am now back in the Saddle and blazing a way back to much better service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel
Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
Premier Inn Bangor Hotel

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!