“Excellent Stay”

The Anglesey Arms
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Visited with my daughter and mother. Very friendly staff. Hotel is very well set out decor is excellent. Beer Garden with child friendly park suitable for all ages. Really good base for adventuring around Anglesey. Will definitely revisit. Thankyou to all the staff for a lovely stay...☺

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Leza E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Having had a 'mare' at another hotel I arrived here as a literally last minute call to find a room.
It was hot, very hot but I was met with a smile and given the keys to my room.
Top floor, a tiny window and it must have been 30 plus with no air. The room was immaculate and the bathroom neat and tidy, but god was it hot.
I went back down to reception and asked for a fan. Non to be had.
However the lovely lady at reception fussed about and rushed about and found me a twin bed at no extra cost on the first floor, not much cooler but with a fire door which could be left open to get some air.
I ate in the restaurant the food was ok for the price. I've seen some comments on here regarding cost and portion size and I was surprised. Portion size was fine (and I'm a big lad) and cost was not bad. I had lamb with a side salad £17.00.I don't know what people are used paying round here but in North Yorkshire that's about the going rate.
I did chat with one or two locals who said the place was going through some management changes and the new one had not arrived and the one who'd left did not give a damn.
A tribute to the team then who were all polite and helpful and in particular the lady who sorted out my room .
Just one other point . I tried to engage in conversation with a couple of guys at the bar who on figuring me for English suddenly started conversing with each other in welsh. I have heard of this phenomenon but dismissed it as mischief making.
Why do they do that? I was here on business enjoying a lovely part of the world and this made me feel most unwelcome, I hope it is a welsh rare bit!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Keep to the ground floor if it's hot. If you get the chance ask for the rooms with a view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Greengrass59
uk
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Booked with booking.com a few weeks in advance of our stay. As I didn't know what room we were allocated I rang the Anglesey arms direct and explained i made a booking but please could I have a room with a view if possible as it was a special occasion they told me that was no problem at all. When we arrived and checked in we were given the complete opposite a view of the roof and car park! This was quickly resolved and the lady behind the desk moved us to a lovely room without any hesitation. The bed was so comfy and we had a great nights sleep no noise from the hotel at all. I didn't eat here this time but have on many other occasions and the food is great for pub food. It's in the perfect spot for exploring Menai. I really like this hotel the decor is lovely and it has a certain charm about it. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed one night. The pub had a DJ running outside until past midnight. It was impossible to sleep, yet there was no warning at the time of the booking. The food is simply terrible. Don't be fooled by the website! The room is okay (well presented) but there was a smell of damp on the sheet and the towels. Never ever again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Called in for a drink prior to eating at the Straits Restaurant. Very busy pub with a good range of drinks and friendly staff and it was only 6 pm on a Friday .The food others were eating looked very good and we will return to try the food also.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel was booked as part of a golfing package for 3. I had a single room which was fine, apart from the bathroom which was a liitle on the small size. However, the shower was excellent. As we had some nice weather, the room was quite hot, and a fan would have been beneficial. It was nice to have a cafetiere in the room which was great for a morning coffee and the biscuits provided were superb. As we liked a drink in the evening, the bar was well stocked with some good ales. We ate there twice and the food was very good and well presented. The breakfasts were excellent with staff who were were very friendly. We were slightly worried about leaving our golf equipment in the cars overnight, but the hotel does have a good car park and we had no issues. This hotel is excellent value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the main road can be a bit noisy with the window open.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave B
stafford
Reviewed 22 June 2014

booked reservation - be warned this is a very busy pub bar and place to eat . If you go for a quiet night forget it . However the food was simple and showcased the local produce . Because it was so busy the food garnishes had wilted in the heat a little. Excellent bar staff helpful but just too noisy !!

Room Tip: nice decking areas outside go later in the evening when it has quietened down a tad!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel
Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
Premier Inn Bangor Hotel

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!