“Fairly good pub-type food”
Review of Gazelle Hotel

Gazelle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Cambridge, UK
“Fairly good pub-type food”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We found The Gazelle whilst looking for somewhere to go out for dinner, as we were staying in the area. We tried the place out on a Tuesday unchtime, before returning for dinner on a Friday evening.

Lunchtime, I had a lovely portion of Menai Mussels, which were cooked in a white wine and cream sauce with flaked salmon. The salmon added a nice touch. Menai mussels are not huge, so dish was very enjoyable. My husband had their own battered fish and chips, haddock this week. On Tuesday, his food was fantastic. However, when he had the same dish on Friday, the fish was quite dry.

The rest of our party had their homemade Cottage Pie. It was OK, but my son said that it was 60% potato to 40% meat, and nothing special in the flavouring. I had Scampi and Fries. The chips here are all home made and chunky. Very nice indeed. Puddings on both occasions are not home-made, but are good sized portions. The cheese board which we did not sample, is all Welsh cheese.

The pub is a Robinson's pub, and we tried both the Unicorn and the HB brews. Both beers are very well kept. I would suggest if you order halves, ask for the 'jug' type glass as the straight glasses are served short due to their use of a sparkler on the handpump. The jugs are oversize.

The service is what looses them a point. On Tuesday, the lass behind the bar was great. On Friday, a different girl started serving us, and she seemed a bit under pressure. When asked what the specials were, she said they were on a board in the bar. Yes, but I was not in the bar. Eventually, she went to check. Similarly, when another waitress asked what cheeses were on the board, the answer was 'Dunno.' from one of her colleagues, who seemed oblivious that she might be asked because a customer wanted to know.

So overall, pretty decent food, particularly the Mussels. Good beer also. The car park is accessible via a very narrow, steep road, or you can park at the top and walk down the stairs.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JoPilsworth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Beautiful setting but we were refused service for lunch at one minute passed the 2.30pm deadline by the chef. The manager was quite unable to roll up his sleeves and cut a simple sandwich either. Even if the chef works to rule, this is an hotel so you expect someone to try to be helpful! Nor did they recommend or suggest anywhere else to us to eat but we fortunately found several hotels and inns in Beaumaris that were providing food later that same afternoon. This type of experience is rather typical in the area and has happened recently to several friends and adds to the feeling that it is very rare to find anyone who is prepared to even consider going a little out of their way to promote their businesses- and they wonder why they fail! ( not sure how to rate non existant!) the impression one is left with is utterly workshy!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Julie D
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Just stayed for one night in this fabulous hotel! From the booking on the phone late night, the night before I stayed in the hotel to checking out the next morning, very friendly staff and mangement.
Your hosts Chris & Dave aim to please and achieve!
Nothing was to much trouble, dinner in restaurant was good as was the breakfast! They even did breakfast early for myself and a few others who had an early start.
You must try the Welsh Whiskey! I seemd to quite enjoy that (So they told me the next morning!)
Met some lovely people also staying there! Arrived as a stranger and left as a friend.
Will definately be my first choice of hotel when next on the Island.
Superb!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Gazelle Hotel

More years ago than I care to remember I was touring Wales with my cousin. We were travelling along the road from Menai to Beaumaris. We had travelled this road a few times and noted a sign pointing down towards The Gazelle Hotel. Early one evening we decided to go and have a look. The Gazelle is on the water's edge with an open space in front,. There appeared to be some sort if open air party going on. Oh let's go up market – reception. I always remember one man in particular. He was in full evening cress complete with black bow tie. In his hand he had glass of champagne. Perhaps not, given the date probably Babycham. Nothing wrong with this but he was wearing a sou'wester. Once again not all that unusual but perhaps he was expecting a storm. But he was not wearing any shoes or socks. This image of the sou'wester wearing man in evening dress and barefoot has always stuck with me and I have always wanted to stay at The Gazelle Hotel. A couple of years ago whilst planning a trip to Anglesey I tried to contact the hotel but no phone was answered and e mails returned. I presumed that they had closed. However when planning a trip this year the website was all singing all dancing. I presumed, quite rightly as it turned out that it had changed hands. So we duly booked a four night stay. The hotel is situated on the water's edge as it was built originally as a ferry house. spectacular views over to Snowdonia and the Menai Straits.
Anglesey, Menai and the Straits is one of my favourite places in the world but I rarely have the chance to visit but this proved to be an exceptional week due mainly to staying in The Gazelle. Our room had a view over the Straits and during our stay I took countless photographs of the changing light and atmosphere over towards the Clywd Hills and Snowdon and the Menai Bridge.
Our room was both comfortable and well-equipped, and spotlessly clean. With such a spectacular view, a chair where one could sit and look out was very welcome, and there was also a shared terrace for the three annex rooms outside
The bar food, though not exactly cheap, is of the highest quality. Both the mussels and the salmon fish cakes can be highly recommended. An added attraction is that Real Ale is served in the bar. Chris and Andrew the proprietors are welcoming, friendly, attentive but not fussy hosts. Many of the customers who use the Gazelle are regulars and always ready to chat as are the friendly staff.
A full Welsh breakfast is served in a pretty room with once again superb views over the Straits.
If you wish to leave you car behind and have a drink in Beaumaris or Menai then there is a very good bus service that stops outside the hotel.
The Gazelle advertises itself as “Great Views Great Food Great Company” That is not some ad man's 'mission statement' as it sums up The Gazelle. Highly, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Menai Strait: spectacular views and ever-changing light
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank absalomLucca
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Gazelle for 3 nights over a weekend in August. The hotel owner and staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble! It is in a wonderful position overlooking the Menai straits. We stayed in the modern annex room which was clean, comfortable and everything you would expect. We felt very re-freshed after our break!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julie6565
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I had a single room and although fairly clean, the maid left my door unlocked after cleaning so it was open all day. For the price I did not think the standard was that good. The breakfast sausage was cut in half length ways to look like 2 ? The place was so packed on the Saturday I found parking difficult. My room looked out on to a weedy bank, again not reflecting the price I paid. I go to this area often but would not use this hotel again

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

As my title suggests, we were only there to use the restaurant, therefore i cannot comment on anything else.

Although the food was of an excellent standard, there wasn't enough of anything. A few from our group had the Pork with Apple Sauce and Roast Potatoes.... when it arrived at our table it was 1 slice of pork, 2 roast potatoes and a bit of gravy, on a rather large plate. So we thought 'oh the veg will be coming soon', we were served with 1 bowl of veg to go round 10 of us, there wasn't enough to feed 3 in that bowl. Therefore after going there for a meal, i personally was left rather disappointed with the main in a 3 course meal.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
Trecastell Hotel
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch

Been to Gazelle Hotel? Share your experiences!