“brilliant stay in somewhere truly unique”
Review of Chateau Rhianfa

Chateau Rhianfa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Reviewed 26 June 2012

When we booked this hotel we knew it was "unfinished" and took advantage of their June/July offer. Need not have worried, the hotel, gardens, views and staff were fantastic. Loved the Drawing Room and the quirky little Cellar Bar. Our room (no 7) was special, it was one of those next to a turret. In some rooms, the turret has been made into a shower room, but ours had been set up for relaxing, best described as a round bed (though not the one we used at night!) filling the space - fantastic to lounge on and look at the views.
Spent one evening talking to the Project Manager overseeing the conversion of this listed building, who was head hunted from the National trust. If what he says is planned happens (and I believe it will) this place will become a number 1 venue for breaks and weddings.
Sadly, no room for a golf course! This won't stop my wife and I returning.

1  Thank DickandJennie
Plas R, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Plas Rhianfa. Room 7 is a lovely room and I'm glad you made use of the comfy snug area in the turret, glorious views from this room!

Sadly no room for a golf course no, but there are several nearby, Anglesey is famous for its golfing!

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Plas Rhianfa in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed 18 June 2012

My boyfriend had seen this buidling change through the years as he was a student in that area. We took advantage of the of 50% reduction and stayed in one of the suites. The views were stunning and we spent a long time in the bath! In fact, the first twenty minutes in our room we sat in it fully clothed, no water and looking across the Menai Straits. Stunning. The room was just amazing and the most beautiful place we've stayed in. There were lovely touches such as two huge candle holders, beautiful lamps and chairs. The receptionist made us feel very welcome, showing us around the beautiful reception rooms and balconies and inviting us to explore the place for ourselves. Even though it was raining we ventured into the grounds and down to the water's edge. We warmed ourselves up with a dip in the hot tub. Brilliant!

As we went down for dinner, candles were lit all around the hotel, windowsils, fireplaces - just lovely. While the menu wasn't extensive, the food was great. A wine I ordered was out of stock so we were given complimentary drinks for the inconvenience. That's what I call service! Staff were attentive and friendly, but not intrusive. A special mention to Steve, who was the manager that evening, for looking after us. Very friendly, easy to chat to and created a very relaxing atmosphere. We were the only ones in the bar, yet nothing seemed too much trouble. Even finding cucumber for my Hendricks :)

Couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough. An experience not to be missed!

1  Thank pinkapple007
Plas R, Events Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Thank you very for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Plas Rhianfa. It's really nice to hear that you took advantage of the hot tub and sauna and I have passed your kind comments onto Steve.

I hope to welcome you to Plas Rhianfa again very soon and once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I dont think there is anything I can write here that can truly prepare you its beauty, refinement and eclectic grace. I have taken the unusual (for me) step of writing the review during my stay. I am writing in the music room at PLas Rhianfa. As I write my children are exploring the many large and small public rooms in an amazing array of styles and wonderful interconnecting staircases that must easily recreate in their minds scenes from Harry Potter. There is exceptional appeal for Children but this is a place that will impress adults. Its a fantasy of architecture which we have driven past on the road to Beaumaris many times on Anglesey and wondered what the future held for it. The news is good, very good. Its been rescued, sensitively invested in, filled with great staff and will become a venue of choice for wealthy families and expensive weddings. Please be aware that Plas Rhianfa has just opened and the heavily discounted rates are reflected in very small areas of ongoing refinement and completion. It wont affect your stay here unless you decide its going to.
I note with disbelief that someone has reviewed the establishment as average.
Plas Rhianfa has never been and never will be average.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 8 and 9, which are extraordinary. They are the most expensive but the staff favou...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank alunm

Thank you very for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Plas Rhianfa. I'm glad to hear that your children also enjoyed their stay with us, what a treat for them to stay in Room 9!

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Just returned from our 1 night DBB stay at Plas Rhianfa and had to tell everyone how fantastic it is.

Our room had a massive roll top bath, sitting on a plinth, in a bay window, overlooking the Menai Strait, GET IN....and we did, more than once!

Great food, great decor, great location, but the real stars of Plas Rhianfa are the staff. They couldn't do enough for us.

We'll be back time and time again, but only if we can book room 8 and that bath.

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you very for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Plas Rhianfa. I have passed your kind comments onto the staff who are also very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you to Plas Rhianfa again very soon, perhaps you'd like to try another of our fabulous rooms next time! Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed for two nights at the newly opened Plas Rhianfa in Anglesey.
Fantastic place, very quirky with stairs leading to hidden little rooms, all decorated beautifully.
Few little problems which the staff sorted as soon as mentioned to them.....staff are excellent indeed.
Stayed in Room 8 a magnificant room, huge with a bed that one can only dream about...loved it!!!

Grounds are lovely too, coming along very nicely.
Warm, welcoming and a hidden gem.
If you want to chill, then this is the place to do it. Recommend. Fabulous restoration project.

Room Tip: All rooms are decorated to a very high standard, best to check on booking to make sure you have a se...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

I'm glad you enjoyed your room, room 8 certainly has the 'wow' factor and the view from the bath is unreal!

Reviewed 13 June 2012

the nicest hotel i have stayed in. me and my partner took our baby for Aaron short break and it was perfect. staff were friendly and helpful. there has been no expense spared on decoration our one year old daughter loved exploring the rooms and beautiful gardens and the location was perfect for traveling round Anglesey. it was excellent value for money. we didn't have dinner at the hotel but breakfast was unreal. will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank eleanor c

Thank you very for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at Plas Rhianfa.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Booked an overnight stay en route to relatives and being familiar with the area decided to take advantage of the 50% discount available for June/July; the hotel only having opened on the 8th June. As others have mentioned, the building itself is truly stunning and the standard of renovation impressive; the decor and furnishings in keeping with such a grand house. We were greeted upon arrival and ushered us through to a beautiful drawing room to register. We were introduce to John the Assistant Manager, who it transpired was the only member of front house staff on duty that evening and although busy seeing to guests (we all seemed to arrive at the same time) he did a fantastic job as host during the night.

We had booked a classic room £99 B&B. Again being newly decorated the room was lovely with a view of the side garden looking down to the Menai Straits. Although seemingly on the small side, I'm sure this was due to the queen size bed occupying a large part of the room! The 'wet' room was unique in that it was within one of the turrets; very unusual and brilliant with nice complimentary toiletries.

We had dinner in the dining room. One large table around which all diners were seated but with sufficient space between couples (the emphasis at Plas Rhianfa is that it is a retreat and not a hotel). I usually would shy away from such an arrangement, but there was a good atmosphere and you could either join in the conversation and equally not. There was a choice of 3 starters, 4 main dishes and 4 desserts. Starters and main delicious, beautifully presented, Eton Mess just far too much cream! After dinner we had drinks on the Winter balcony (there is a Summer balcony too) in the little snug and overlooking the Straits.

Breakfast usual cereals, croissants, yoghurt, fruit and juice, followed by full Welsh breakfast or variations of.

All in all a delightful stay for the price we paid.
Constructive feedback:
There were some things we overlooked given the reduced price and inevitable teething problems associated with any new venture, however I would not expect these to be evident or tolerated by guests on any visit when paying full price:
There was no toilet roll in the bathroom and when I mentioned this, I was handed a roll to take to the room
Although our night's sleep was very comfortable, we were woken at 3am and several times between 6am - 7am due to furniture(?) being moved and bumped around upstairs by staff (we were below the main entertaining floor).
Requested ironing facilities - none available
I'm believe these matters are easily rectifiable and for that reason, I would have no hesitation in recommending Plas Rhianfa for a stay.

Room Tip: I have marked value as excellent as it was 50% price reduction at £99. Not sure I would pay double f...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We appreciate your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Plas Rhianfa.

Thank you also for the constructive criticism which we have taken on board;

May I apologise for the unacceptable noise in the middle of the night. We have now advised our night porter to refrain from moving furniture in the Drawing Room during the night, which is directly above the room you were staying in.

Our housekeepers are in the process of completing a detailed training procedure so minor problems such as toilet roll etc can be rectified and dealt with efficiently.

I'm not sure why ironing facilities were not available to you as we have irons at reception especially for guests and can even iron items of clothing for you on request. Apologies that this was not made clear to you during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
#1 of 1 in Deganwy
Seiont Manor Hotel
Seiont Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanrug

Been to Chateau Rhianfa? Share your experiences!