“Wonderful Wales”
Review of Chateau Rhianfa

Chateau Rhianfa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Just the one night here thanks to a deal from Secret Escapes. Wonderful building, gardens etc. We were in the Duchess Suite (look it up). We had afternoon cream tea as part of the deal and a 7 course dinner. My wife says the food was excellent but I don't eat fish or fowl so half the menu was out for me. The Chef produced a steak with trimmings for me and I was happy. Good choice of bottled beer in the bar and draught Peroni. The staff were superb and if it had not been for a faulty western hinge on the loo, I would have been giving this place 5*s.

Room Tip: Go for the Duchess Suite. Great views over the Menai Straight and a bath in the huge bedroom to die...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Martin P, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear TomMac_13,

Many thanks for your review of the Chateau.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife and getting to know you better.

I will report the toilet seat to my maintenance manager, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

thanks,

There are newer reviews for Chateau Rhianfa

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had a wonderful two days. The chateau was something else. The dining experience was thoroughly enjoyed. Brilliant company. Thank you everone that joined us. We celebrated with three couples celebrating anniversaries and two birthdays. We had such a banter. The kichen thought we were arguing. Fantastic. Would I recommend it. Most definitely. Thank you Mr travelzoo for the deal.

Room Tip: The side rooms are equally goid with the huge showers housed in the turrets
1  Thank RetiredCheshire

Dear retiredCheshire,

Thank you for writing such a glowing review of your stay at the Chateau. It is especially nice to read that you had such fun during the 'Chateau dining experience' and made new friends throughout the course of the evening.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have just returned from a one night 'secret escapes' stay at Chateau Rhianfa and can honestly say it was a fantastic experience. From the moment we arrived to when we checked out every aspect was five star.
The afternoon tea was exemplary, a real welsh treat.
The dining experience was delicious and plentiful. (We loved having a private table for two rather than the advertised large table dining experience.)
The cooked breakfast was really tasty.
My absolute favourite part of the whole stay had to be snuggling up on the turret cushions. It was the space, gardens and little nooks and crannies which truly made this a stay to remember.
The staff were first class from start to finish but our thanks really go to Lois and Becky who couldn't do enough to serve us.
We can't wait to return for another night of 5 star bliss.

Room Tip: Go for a suite if you can.
2  Thank Avril R

Dear gandAwirral,

Thank you for your kind review of your stay at the Chateau, it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed all aspects of youir stay.

I shall ensure that Lois & Becky are congratulated on your behalf, and I look forward to welcoming you back in due course

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Seriously I wanted to give this 5 stars but read on....

Pros, Accommodation, Staff, Location, setting, romance all 5 stars ...

Cons: On the date we stayed there was a wedding on - which in itself was not a problem they were in the main very well behaved and quiet - oh and very happy which was a nice bonus all round... That however led to the kitchen staff having a split focus on the food preparation. we had gone expecting a glorious taste of wales type taster menu, what we got was what I would simply call a holding menu. By that I mean a selection of dishes which whilst nice were obviously chosen not for their culinary expertise simply because they be quick and easy to serve up in between the courses of the wedding feast in another dining room.

As people who have read my other reviews will know I am a retired chef so know when I am being fobbed off and why.. I think venues such as this should really tell prospective clients that events like weddings or large conferences are on the days you are staying - we all know that such events can and do alter the experience for those not part of those celebrations. alright the hotel has to fill bedrooms but not at the expense of losing repeat business. A little basic honesty goes a long way. Weddings and such are booked well in advance so its not as though the hotel wont know when you book...

Seriously with a focused chef I really think this could have been a so much better experience and 5 stars easily. what we had was pleasant but not worthy of the establishment. That said I am still of a mind to go back one day and try the real thing if it exists

Oh and a final con and it is a mixed blessing is the price of booze £5 for a pint of cider - seriously well at least the wedding guests wont be getting too drunk and rowdy .

Nb there is a bus stop just down from hotel with decent service into Beaumaris £1:50 each way and reasonable priced drinks to boot... Taxi was circa £6:50

Room Tip: Interesting layout - due to the wedding party we asked for a room that was not above the reception r...
3  Thank Still_living-Life
Martin P, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Still-living-life,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at the Chateau, I am always keen to review our guest comments and use them constructively.

With this in mind, I shall certainly forward your thoughts onto my head Chef about the menu.

Hope to welcome you back again very soon.

With best wishes

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The start of our trip was not a great one as another customer with the same name had booked into our room an hour earlier. We were then placed into the lodge separate from the hotel but this was not the romantic setting we had hoped for. The manager and the staff could see how disappointed we were and went out of their way to make our romantic stay a complete delight. We were given a beautiful room in the hotel itself, a complimentary bottle of champagne and then were assigned a wonderful table overlooking the gardens and water beyond during the excellent 7 course dining experience. It turned out to be a triumphant stay and I cannot praise the staff enough for being so kind to us. I would recommend this place for any romantic couple as not only are the grounds beautiful, the hotel immaculately kept, and the staff lovely and friendly, but there are also lots of sneaky corners and hideaways to cosy up in, and if you're lucky, a room with an alcove with lots of comfortable cushions.

4  Thank JarekTomaszewski

Dear JarekTomaszewski,

We enjoyed welcoming you to the Chateau, and were delighted to assist in changing the room to the main house with the views over the Menai Straits.

To read that you enjoyed the dining experience and the rest of the evening is very rewarding, and we hope to welcome you both back again very soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked a Travel Zoo deal back in January, we have seen the Chateau before but never been in. We arrived at 3.00pm and wanted to eat something we were told that was not an option ! which seemed a little strange as I thought this was a Hotel, seemingly we were told they were not a Hotel but a Venue, even odder they advertise in many Hotel marketing schemes Johansen's , Welsh Rarebit's etc etc and sell bedrooms, so we headed over to Dylans. When we arrived back we wanted a drink we went downstairs to the Wine Cave and again was told closed go upstairs, we did but the Bar was unmanned.

We were asked to arrive for Dinner at 7.00 for Drinks and Canapés, by 7.50 no canapés arrived and when they did it was one canapé served with no cocktail napkins. We had to go and find someone to serve us a further drink at the bar, There are no Menus you get what you are given, very very odd. The food was ok but very small portions it was just like sitting in "school dinners" we ordered Wine which at £38 per bottle you don't expect to be served warm. We asked 3 times for ice in the ice bucket which was full of water. It was a very strange dining experience, we left before coffee, but found coffee being served from vacuum flasks upstairs.

Bedrooms basic, nice view and very comfy beds, , toilet filthy dirty under the rim, no room service. Staff very nice and Martin the GM a very likeable person.

Location and Chateau is amazing, I am just very confused as to what thus product is, I think there needs to be some serious decisions about a proper Restaurant and F&B options

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank absolutevenues
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I went there as a guest to a dinner and was immediately enthralled by the beauty of the venue. I love castles generally, and this one did not disappoint!
We had our meal down on the bottom floor, with views out over the Menai Straits, and away from the other party that was happening. The drinks were slightly pricey, but since both pimms and almost a bottle of wine per person was available, no one could complain!

I was disappointed however with the food. Don't get me wrong, the food was absolutely delicious! The portions were ridiculously small though, especially if you ordered the "pork belly" as the main course. It came with a tiny piece of pork, and one tiny carrot, with a tiny couple of leaves of pak choi. this didn't help that the starter was equally tiny if you didn't opt for the soup!
oh yes and the dessert was a disappointment because although it was tasty, they had stated on the menu that it came with raspberry sorbet and when it arrived, there was no sorbet in sight. Only one guest actually compained about this, as no one else really cared by that point!

on the other hand, the staff couldn't have been nicer. they were really friendly and helpful where needed!

An enjoyable night was had by all our party though, and setting-wise I would highly recommend it. (Just choose your menu carefully if you're hungry!)
There's a spa there too which looks amazing, but unfortunately as we weren't staying over we couldn't experience that part.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Llama86,

It was a pleasure to welcome and host your party last week and we really enjoyed hosting the society party.

On a positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed the setting and the hospitality shown by the team. I shall also refer your points to the head chef.

Hope to welcome you and the society back again next year

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Chateau Rhianfa? Share your experiences!