This is a lengthy review as I have many things to comment on!
First the positives
1. Stunning location with fabulous views of the straits and we were blessed with gorgeous weather.
2. Our room was called the stables and it was truly fabulous. A self contained apartment overlooking the straits and the tennis court.
3. Dinner on the second night was wonderful and the dining room has stunning views.
4. Cheerful and pleasant staff.
If the following could be addressed this hotel would be 5 stars:
1. Disorganised staff with orders being forgotten. Our wine was forgotten on the first night and a number of oversights make it somewhat frustrating.
2. Although the chateau is described as a hotel the management describe it as a 'venue' and it seems to lack clarity for guests e.g afternoon tea served three times a week. A 5 star hotel would provide food throughout each day and I'm sure they would make a profit.
3. The staff although lovely, lack the knowledge you would expect in this type of establishment.
4. The wine cellar is not celebrated and on both evenings none of the staff had any knowledge of the wines. A sommelier would be a bonus and generate income.
I would love to return when these points have been addressed and I hope the chateau succeeds. It is a unique place and with a few tweaks could be utterly fabulous.