“Poor communication, poor professionalism”
Review of Chateau Rhianfa

Chateau Rhianfa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Wales, United Kingdom
“Poor communication, poor professionalism”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have always loved this building and once I heard it was being converted for hotel use I was so excited. I knew I wanted to hold an event here and was ready to book this venue for a party for 100. I was however put off by the sheer lack of professionalism from the events manager, and in hindsight the very unwelcoming, unenthusiastic and unprofessional lady at reception also!

Whilst being shown around the venue the event manager was not forthcoming at all with the sort of information you would expect to be given esp. costings.

On initially going ahead with a booking I was told the prices had been changed from what had been quoted at initial discussions.

I never received any responses to several questions regarding the costings of rooms, although I was told a 20% discount for my guests could be given on rooms (20% off what cost!?).

I could not help but feel that they were trying to swindle me!

Also, the staff seemed to not have anything in place to ensure your guests would be the only people booking the rooms you have held for them on the particular day, and the events manager seemed confused when I discussed this.

The prices within the hotel are extortionate (£9 a glass of wine & £5 pint of beer) but to be expected I guess with a building of such uniqueness and it's location. I'm glad I've been put off this venue as the alcohol prices is definitely a party killer!

It is a true shame that the staffs attitudes, knowledge and professionalism are extremely lacking and I'm afraid I won't be parting with my hard earned money unless I'm paying for top quality, of which, the service definitely is not!

Let's hope Plas Rhianfa can get themselves sorted soon!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank Travel J
AmaZingVenues, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Travel J,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very concerned with your comments, and would like to gain a greater understanding. With this in mind, please can you contact me directly.

Martin Page

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Attended a wedding in chateau rhianfa on the 8th of august and must say what a beautiful place. Greeted at hotel by the manager who was very helpful in showing us around and helping with ushering duties!! Staff could not do enough for you and provided us with a great day and evening. As earlier stated although tast the food was very minimalist and the prices of drinks were quite steep but they gave 2 of my good friends a wedding they deserved!

3 Thank sean19871
Dear Sean19871,

Thank you for writing such a pleasant review of the wedding you attended. It is lovely to know that you enjoyed attending your friends wedding.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

wales
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Party of 6 - Got offer off travelzoo 2 for £25 so glad we didn't pay the £25pp. 1 sandwich cut up into 3 per person, basic bland sarnies i.e no salmon or meat! Tesco has better selection for fraction of price!! Chipped cup, hair in cake - waitress reply "oh"! cups appeared to have come straight from dishwasher to table (still wet)!! No table service had to fetch them from kitchen!
Overall poor customer service, overpriced sarnies and way too expensive!! not a patch on the Grosvenor Chester for a real afternoon t experience!!

5 Thank eyj301
Dear eyj301,

Thank you for sparing the time to write your review of the afternoon tea.

I would like to apologise for the shortcomings experienced, and learn more about your comments. With this in mind, I would be grateful if you could contact me, and I look forward to talking to you in due course.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding, the grounds are immaculate and stunning. The staff are very friendly and accommodating, the rooms are well presented and plush.
Our only criticism was the size of the meal portions for the reception dinner, they were small to say the least and many people complained that they were still hungry.
Also, drinks are expensive, so take plenty of money!

1 Thank Sarkel7883
Dear Sarah 11386,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of attending a family wedding, I do hope that you enjoyed the occasion of celebrating with the bride and groom.

I shall pass your comments onto my head chef in relation to the portion size. In terms of the bar pricing, we have found it to be comparable to other leading wedding venues but I very much appreciate your other kind comments about the experience.

Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked afternoon tea through a TravelZoo deal and it was lovely. The Chateau is gorgeous - beautiful rooms, wonderful views. The staff are absolutely excellent - we really felt they wanted you to enjoy the place and the experience of being there. They were all so welcoming and obliging. Lois gave us a lovely tour of the building and we were able to enjoy the grounds and the views at our leisure

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gail W
AmaZingVenues, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Gail W,

Its nice to read that you had an enjoyable afternoon tea at the Chateau and enjoyed your guided tour by Lois. We hope to welcome you back again for another afternoon of indulgence!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for 1 night as a surprise for a 30th Birthday present, chose to upgrade to the Duchess Suite, which is apparently the best room they have and it did not disappoint!!!
As soon as we walked in we found the staff very friendly and professional and wow the actual building is something else, you can spend the whole afternoon exploring the random and amazing rooms they have to offer, often hidden and where you wouldn't expect to find a 'room'
The grounds were equally impressive, we enjoyed a lovely walk around, took turns on the swing in the garden and paddled in the water on the private beach, it really gave a very romantic feeling!
The Duchess Suite was something else, beautifully decorated, the most comfortable and huge bed but the free standing bath in the bay window overlooking the water and Snowdonia was beautiful, no finer way to spend midnight under the stars with a bottle of bubbly!
Communication in advance of the trip was excellent and mainly because of one of us being coeliac (strict gluten free diet) and this was accommodated brilliantly, the whole evening meal (apart from desert) was gluten free and so was breakfast, such a pleasant surprise and the staff were so attentive.
We'll definitely be coming back....

Room Tip: upgrade to Duchess Suite!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
AmaZingVenues, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Ste_Raw,

Delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the Duchess room and relaxed so much during your stay.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Porthmadog
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was a travelzoo deal and well worth it. We were gifted with a glorious day and the views were to die for. Snowdonia mountians across the straits towering into a deep blue sky... romantic. We were upgraded to the Gate lodge which was their self catering cottage. two bedrooms (Double and Kingsize bed) and two shower rooms and a small lounge area and fully fitted kitchen. Although our pet dog wasn't allowed in this cottage, she was allowed to walk around the grounds and she loved it. The gardens go all the way down to the foreshore and the waters of the Menai strait lap on the ancient slipway.
We joined our fellow guests for prosecco and canapés and we all went down the 2 floors to the banqueting hall. I was secretly pleased that we then had our own table and we enjoyed a 5 course well balanced meal. A very enjoyable evening. We got up early and had another walk with the dog and sat at the mirror like waters, looking at the sunrise, Bangor pier and the great Orme beyond. Breakfast was good although I am not sure about the style of piling everything on top of everything else it was tasty and filling. WE enjoyed our 30th Wedding anniversary and will book to come and do it all again - soon.

Room Tip: I doubt if there are any bad rooms. Suggest rooms at the front of the hotel will be quieter as a roa...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Snowdonia_Holidays
Dear Snowdonia_Holid...

Many thanks for writing such a lovely review of your stay at the Chateau, it was fantastic to read that you enjoyed celebrating your 30th anniversary with us in such style!

Hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Chateau Rhianfa? Share your experiences!