“Another excellent stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
rhuddlan
“Another excellent stay”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

After staying here on my birthday in February we decided to book again in the Summer as we had enjoyed it so much. We loved the turret room we had last time but this time we had a room with a view, albeit a smaller room. When we came in Feb we had the dining experience where we were sat around a large table and got to know our fellow diners, which we enjoyed very much. This time, as there was a wedding on in the downstairs banquet room we were seated on individual tables. I thought this was a shame as you didn't get to speak to any fellow diners, merely polite nods and smiles. Obviously some people prefer this anyway. We were however surprised to see a couple who had stayed the same night as us in Feb had completely coincidentally booked the same night as us again. Happy times catching up and drinking in the Music room till the wee hours! We love this place and will definitely be back again soon :-)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RhuddlanCeri
AmaZingVenues, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear RhuddlanCeri,

Its always a pleasure to welcome you back to the Chateau, and thrilled that you had a lovely surprise of seeing other previous guests.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Martin Page

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Chateau Rhianfa is located in a stunning spot on the Menai. It is a feature filled establishment and would appear to be a must for weddings. We had a thoroughly good experience and recommend it for that romantic getaway.

We were on a DB&B deal and stayed in the Beaumaris room. The room was splendid with a king sized four poster bed, large flat screen TV but the spectacular feature of the room was the walk in drench shower.

The hotel is large and sprawling and covers four levels. There is an old style lift. The charm of this place is the architectural style of a French chateau situated on Anglesea. Whilst the decor is old and tired and the carpet in need of a refresh this is not really a distraction because of the uniqueness of the place.

The grounds and private beach are also a feature.

Dinner and breakfast did not disappoint. This is fine dining and don't expect to get through the seven / eight courses of dinner in under two hours which starts with champers and canapés. Breakfast was at your own pace and the cooked breakfast very good.

On the down side, the car park is small.

I left the best bit for last, the staff at Chateau Rhianfa were excellent. They were the factor which took my rating from very good to excellent.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tubbychang,

Delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back to the Chateau again soon.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I agree with most of the comments. This hotel is in an excellent location, and is suitable for couples, without children, who are mobile. I bought a one night stay for my parents diamond wedding anniversary in July and they thoroughly enjoyed the surprise treat, especially the fine dinning experience. However, I had been promised an upgraded room to suit the occasion. On arrival this did not happen and there was no other explanation other than re-allocation. The management have not responded to my email. Beware that car parking can be an issue at busy periods. In summary try to make sure that you get what is promised and you should get value for money and enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: make sure you understand what type of room and its location and outlook before confirming your booki...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Soo_13
Dear Soo_13,

Thank you for writing your review of your stay at the Chateau.

I am so glad that your parents thoroughly enjoyed their stay as part of their diamond wedding celebrations.

I noted your comments about an email ref an upgrade room. If this was promised and not delivered then I apologise as we try to honour all special requests. I would be grateful if you could resend your email, and I shall personally review and respond back to you.

Twyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Second visit to this beautiful hotel. Totally unique experience with amazing views of the Menai . Staff are all so very lovely and accommodating. Just one comment in relation to the evening dining experience....not suitable for young children due to a fine dining menu at a set time. Other than this would absolutely recommend

Room Tip: They all seem excellent and beautifully furnished
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Joanne J,

We really enjoyed welcoming the family back again, and pleased that you had a great stay at the Chateau again.

Hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We bought a deal from Travelzoo for £149 for one night and a 4 course meal.

The hotel is in an amazing location right on the coast of Anglesey. We ended up having to pay £50 extra to upgrade the room as the hotel was full - which made the whole weekend quite expensive - but well worth it for a one off treat.

The stables were basically a fully functioning apartment. The bed was unbelievable comfortable, with an extremely thick feather mattress topper.

The facilities in the hotel are great - we had a try of the hot tub and steam room. Unfortunately, we didn't get the chance to see the wine cave or the falconry. Hopefully if there is another deal on Travelzoo we will get to go again.

The food ended up being far more than four courses, but I didn't hear any complaints. A favorite of mine was the chocolate mouse, with raspberry coulis and peanut butter fudge.

Would definitely visit again but only with a deal.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megatron007
Dear Megatron007,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review of your stay.
It is a pleasure to read that you found the stables flat to be so comfortable, and I shall certainly congratulate the kitchen brigade on your behalf for the dining experience.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

North Wales
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Chateau Rhianfa is a spectacular hotel with lots of stunning rooms and gardens to explore. Our evening meal was great but afternoon tea was bland. We have stayed in lots of beautiful hotels and although I loved the hotel there were a few things that could be improved. We couldn't find any staff to serve us drinks in the afternoon and after searching a young lady out she didn't have a clue what she was doing. It was quite comical really, but when you pay such a lot of money better service is expected.
Our bedroom was lovely but there was no bath to soak in, and I think a little fridge is always a nice touch especially when staying for a weekend. Some of the furniture was also a little tired, handles missing etc
I will recommend this hotel as it is somewhere quite special but feel the staff need to be a little more attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Menai straights
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lindsandgang,

Many thanks for completing your review of your stay, and I am pleased that on the whole you had a lovely stay.

I do take the points on board about the service of drinks, and apologise that the team were not on the same floor when you required service.

Hope to welcome you back again soon,

Best wishes,

Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have always loved this building and once I heard it was being converted for hotel use I was so excited. I knew I wanted to hold an event here and was ready to book this venue for a party for 100. I was however put off by the sheer lack of professionalism from the events manager, and in hindsight the very unwelcoming, unenthusiastic and unprofessional lady at reception also!

Whilst being shown around the venue the event manager was not forthcoming at all with the sort of information you would expect to be given esp. costings.

On initially going ahead with a booking I was told the prices had been changed from what had been quoted at initial discussions.

I never received any responses to several questions regarding the costings of rooms, although I was told a 20% discount for my guests could be given on rooms (20% off what cost!?).

I could not help but feel that they were trying to swindle me!

Also, the staff seemed to not have anything in place to ensure your guests would be the only people booking the rooms you have held for them on the particular day, and the events manager seemed confused when I discussed this.

The prices within the hotel are extortionate (£9 a glass of wine & £5 pint of beer) but to be expected I guess with a building of such uniqueness and it's location. I'm glad I've been put off this venue as the alcohol prices is definitely a party killer!

It is a true shame that the staffs attitudes, knowledge and professionalism are extremely lacking and I'm afraid I won't be parting with my hard earned money unless I'm paying for top quality, of which, the service definitely is not!

Let's hope Plas Rhianfa can get themselves sorted soon!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank Travel J
AmaZingVenues, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Travel J,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very concerned with your comments, and would like to gain a greater understanding. With this in mind, please can you contact me directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Chateau Rhianfa? Share your experiences!