“Unpleasant stay with rude hosts...”
Review of Bryn Aethwy B & B

Bryn Aethwy B & B
Ranked #1 of 6 Menai Bridge B&B and Inns
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Unpleasant stay with rude hosts...”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My experiences with B&Bs on Anglesey have been very good in the past - particularly in nearby Beaumaris where hosts are warm and bend over backwards to help guests, so my experience at this B&B was unexpected and sad.

Firstly, I do not know what type of boiler is being used in the B&B (I did ask but got no reply) but there was no hot water during my entire two-night stay. I mentioned this but was informed that it was warm enough. The room appeared to be well kept and clean on first inspection, but there was a serious lack of appropriate hoovering, particularly under the bed.

The breakfast was rather uninspiring and some of it, including the cereals and breads, were less than fresh. I was also disappointed and saddened to see that the owners of the B&B not only support the political party UKIP, but have a banner outside on the building facing the road, and stickers in the house. They also appear to hold branch meetings for Anglesey UKIP at the B&B itself. The owners of B&Bs have a right to express their political position, and I have a right to include such a forthright position in a review. But the owners should make this political engagement clearer prior to booking so that I am not forced into a position of having to give money to such people.

This is a fantastic area of Wales, and the B&B is well situated, but the prices charged are too high for the quality of the rooms and the breakfast offered. Thankfully, there are many wonderful hotels and B&Bs close-by.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank SeamusBeoirgra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Warm and friendly greeting on arrival which extended throughout our stay. Room was very clean and comfortable with plenty of hot water and towels. The bed was very comfortable with clean fresh linen. Breakfast was excellent with such a wide and varied choice, from cereal and toast (brown or white) to full cooked breakfast. With excellent views of the Menai Straits the host Elaine was very helpful and informative of places to visit and things to do. Location is excellent for exploring Anglesey or the Welsh coast and mountains. There are at least half a dozen good restaurants within walking distance including Chinese and Indian and also a couple of pubs serving food. We would recommend this bed and breakfast and would happily stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Rodger M
Wales
Reviewed 4 May 2014

When we arrived the hostess appeared very helpful, offering us a choice of room and expressing concern that a previous occupant had complained about the lack of hot water. We chose this room as we wanted a bath (very nice roll top and large bathroom) and were assured that a plumber had checked the hot water. However, the water wasn't very hot and the bath needed topping up with water from the kettle! The code for the Wifi didn't work. At breakfast the next morning I was served a croissant with mould which I found very distressing as I had already started to eat it. Her response was that she would check the others and she offered me another one. I thought she would at least apologise and offer us some form of compensation but neither were forthcoming. When we checked out an hour later she wasn't there and my husband paid what he felt was fair. I notice a previous visitor also complained about mouldy bread.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank carolsinger
wirral merseyside
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Really enjoyed our stay. Excellent place to stay. Got lost then found it at the top of the hill! Would recommend. Lovely views. fantastic hostess. Gave us lots of information on where to go for a wander and where to eat.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Found this B&B by accident and so glad I did, wonderful experience and very friendly hostess! I stayed in room 4 with a 4 poster bed and stunning views of the straits and the bridge. Breakfast equally great, highly recommend you try this one if you are in Anglesey!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Our stay at Bryn Aethwy was lovely. We stayed 2 nights over Easter and we too arrived early just to drop off our bags and the room was not ready but we knew this as we had prearranged with the owner that we would check our bags in by noon and if not we would check in after 4pm. We had the four poster bedroom and as regulars to Anglesey we could not fault the view from our room of the Britannia Bridge. Elaine the owner was very friendly as was Missie the Pug who is adorable. We usually go self catering when in Anglesey and it is a long time since we have been to a B&B but I would definately go back to Bryn Aethwy. It is perfectly positioned for all the amenties in Menai and a good base to explore the island. Our room had a lovely bathroom with power shower and no shortage of hot water and was very clean and tidy. I loved the Laura Ashley decor and if I was being picky the only fault was that the four poster bed was quite creaky. Breakfast very good and the friendly hospitality made for a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

It has to be the worst hotel/B&B I have ever stayed in. First impressions were it was tired, drab & old fashioned. On entering our room we were hit with a strong smell of bleach which wasn't very welcoming. There was a rather disgusting biscuit under the bed which had been left by a previous guest. There was no hot water for the duration of our stay and when my husband informed the lady about it her reply was "well luke warm water is better than cold". Our tv had no signal and again when informing the lady she said" well it's working fine in the next room". Not once did anyone come to our room to check on both the water situation or the television. Very, very disappointing stay which ruined our weekend experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andie777
EGillBrynAethwy, Owner at Bryn Aethwy B & B, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
I am truly sorry you were disappointed in your 1 night stay at Bryn Aethwy. You especially asked for a bath and that is why I gave you that room. Usually I get the 'wow' response to that bathroom............ It was most unfortunate about the lack of hot water and I am sorry I was flippant about the 'luke warm is better than cold!' remark. I immediately added ' I can get a plumber in' but your husband dismissed that with 'my wife wants a bath now.' I did give your husband instructions about the television regarding the 'source' being on TV and because he never came back to me I assumed that had worked. You arrived early (I ask for an after 4-00pm arrival unless pre-arranged with owner) so we were still working on your room hence the cleaning product 'smell.' I did thank your husband for telling me, adding that most Guests say nothing then I cannot put right something I do not know needs attention (sorry cannot remember now whether that was the water or TV) The Plumber came the morning you left and solved the problem. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Elaine Gill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
Hotel Port Dinorwic
#1 of 1 in Y Felinheli
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Travelodge Bangor Wales

Been to Bryn Aethwy B & B? Share your experiences!