“What a refreshing change - go!”
Review of The Oyster Catcher

The Oyster Catcher
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Rhosneigr
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Oyster Catcher is the ultimate beach side venue. With a distinctive character, vibrant atmosphere and fantastic food, it's an iconic Anglesey landmark.
UK
“What a refreshing change - go!”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This restaurant is run as a social enterprise that trains-up local kids in catering skills. I find the idea of being able to eat great food, in a lovely setting whilst doing a little bit of 'good' quite a refreshing change in the current climate.

It's good, you'll be doing some good by eating there, so go.

• Visited January 2013

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great food but indifferent service”
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

Our party of eight had some truly delicious food here but the poor service let the restaurant down. We spent a long while trying to attract the attention of the waiting staff once we were seated either to order or to clear the plates or to order more drinks or desserts...... One of the main courses was missed off our order despite the waitress reading the order back to us when she took it. And the same waitress insisted that one pasta dish was spaghetti bolognaise despite the menu saying buttered spaghetti with a rich ragu sauce - do you mean the spaghetti bolognaise, she asked, in a not quite insolent but getting very close to it way. Well, I suppose my friend said, but it says buttered spaghetti with ragu on the menu. When it came; who ordered the spaghetti bolognaise?

We absolutely applaud the intentions behind this restaurant and think they're doing a fantastic job with their chef cadets, pity they're not applying the same training to their waiting staff. I'd have happily given feedback at the time but there wasn't anyone around to speak to when we left!

Wales
“Not bad - not great!”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

The Oystercatcher (formerly Melog Lake Hotel, not "Maelor" as at the top of this page) is a fantastic building which is all the more stunning by night - quite spectacular. We had booked a table for 9 and this was ready for us. The huge dining room was quite full but not cramped - there was no-one else encroaching on our space which is refreshing. It went a bit downhill after ordering food, however. I asked for pizza with just pineapple. "Just pineapple, yes?" was the reply. "Yes - just pineapple, thanks," I replied. So instead of the £8.95 I could have paid for the Hawaiian without the ham, I was charged £10.55 for the "D.I.Y" as it wasn't actually on the menu as "just pineapple". A bit mean in principle, but no big deal. It was more of an issue when it arrived laden with ham... I don't eat meat so it was a bit of a mare having to pick bits out like a child before I could eat. To be fair, I was offered another but my meal had already arrived last so I wanted to avoid eating any later than everyone else. At least it came sooner than the starter of one of our group! Equally strange is asking for a Diet Coke without ice, for the bar staff to repeat this and then go and shovel ice into the glass anyway! I don't think further training is required as suggested by some on this site - the staff just need to listen to what's being said to them! I live locally and would choose another venue for a meal now - though it has a great outdoor seating area ideal for a drink after walking the dog on the beach.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Movvi
leicester
“Warm, relaxing & Friendly”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Lovely atmosphere, friendly service and great food!

I've heard mixed reviews and wasn't sure what to expect...but my family and I all loved it! It was warm & cosy - which was great on what was a very chilly day.

Love the lighting and general design.

Helpful & friendly staff - especially Karen & Nicky!!

Could do with a few more pictures though (not of shoes...and not like the freaky ones dowstairs) - but bright, cheery sea-sidey ones!

Looking forward to our next visit!

Visited January 2013
Conwy, United Kingdom
“Okay - but a bit mislead.”
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

We went to the Oyster Catcher today following all the great press and bits of information I have learned. It's very open plan (think Wagamamma) and therefore quite noisy. This is not the place to come for an intimate lunch/dinner. The serving staff and greeting hostess were very polite and professional and are a credit to the venue. But - when all is said and done, we went for the food. On the whole it was very well presented, my only criticism being the crudities with the humus were at least a day old. We didn't have desert, but they all looked very good. Two people, two courses, no alcohol £40 for lunch. A bit too pricey to go there again on the off chance. Great story of the restaurant and will always support a social enterprise, but they need to up their game slightly. Will try again in the summer.

1 Thank fantasyfood