“Never on a Sunday”

Trearddur Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Trearddur Bay
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The restaurant at the Trearddur Bay Hotel was one of only two recommended in my guide to Anglesey. Unfortunately the main restaurant it does not open on Sunday evenings and I and my five friends were offered a table in the bar restaurant. I regret not going elsewhere. The first impression was of a very sticky table and a limited menu. After asking for the table to be cleaned and the obliging, rather overworked waitress giving it a spray and wipe it was still rather adhesive.

Some of us settled for fish and chips as the main course, and after some elapse of time the waitress came back to say there was none left. We then settled for Salmon. After some further time, the same unfortunate, but by now embarrassed waitress had to give us the news that there was no salmon. Eventually we all managed to choose something that was actually available. I must say the steak was OK and came with chips but no vegetables. Generally the food was barely passable.

Overall it was a disappointing experience despite the valiant efforts of our beleaguered waitress. I will not go back even when the restaurant is open.

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel. Only used the restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stephen M

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights with friends. Room 8 was very nice ,large comfortable bed. Spacious room with sofa and chair at the front of the hotel. Did not see friends rooms but said they were slightly shabby. Buffet breakfast plenty of choice. Very close to the beach. Bar quiet in hotel. Staff friendly.

Room Tip: Room 8 spacious,comfy bed. Good shower
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed with my son for a few days and we decided to go to the Trearddue Bay Hotel for a quick drink after having a ride around the coast road.
Well, we walked in there was a group of staff standing behind the bar chatting, one young lady was serving a family, (this was ok they were ordering all sorts of meals and drinks and had several children with them) this was taking some time and none of the others even looked to help. Another lady then pushed in to the bar and asked for a drink and the barmaid served her!!!!! Ignoring us completely, I know I have been on a diet but NO I have not disappeared and my son is really quite tall so we were not invisible on the day!. Unfortunately they have lost quite a lot of custom as we walked out vowing not to return. My son works on the island and will obviously talk about this. Very poor, the holiday season is here but they obviously were not bothered. Management need to overlook.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Josy w
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We had a room with a balcony that looked out towards the beach, very pretty. We went down for dinner on Saturday night but were turned away from the restaurant as it had been booked up. We were not impressed as we were not warned that we would need to book. We found the staff to be a mixed bag a couple were a little grumpy but others were very cheerful and friendly. The room was large and airy but the decoration was looking dated and tired, the bed was very soft and could have done with a new mattress.

On the whole, although we had a pleasant enough stay, I would not say that the hotel was good value for money.The room rate didn't reflect the service we received.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wheeltops
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here on business, was allocated a suite which was very nice, but quite a way, through a maze of corridors, from reception. Excellent meal in the bar in the evening and a really good buffet breakfast in the morning. The only problem was during the meal, in the evening, there was a young child who started crying but when after 15 minutes constant crying another patron went to ask about the child its mother just abused the man. Even worse the staff did nothing to help either side.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BigDave933
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Trying to find a restaurant for a lunch on a day's tour for 41 French guests on a weekend twiinning exchange is quite a challenge.Our Twin town in France is St.Grégoire near to Rennes in Brittany and having eaten many fine lunches in Brittanny,,we approach restauants in Britain with no little trepidation.
On a day's visit to Anglesey we selected Trearddur Bay Hotel in the hope that our French guest who do appreciate good food and wines ,would not be diappointed. Arriving at the hotel in bright sunshine we were greetd by the staff who welcomed us in to a dining room set out for lunch with all signs that this was a good hotel. The French guest were delighted by the views from the dining room and soon settled down to a brief interlude lunch before our next port of call.
The staff could not have been more helpful and attentive, the food was excellent and both wines served were well received. As I speak French passably well, I can assure the staff of the hotel and management that the French party were impressed both by the cuisine and its presentation and asked me to give their compliments to the chef and the manager.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Clearbrook1234
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Booked a table on Sunday of May Day Bank Holiday weekend at the Inn at the Bay. The bar area and seating area outside were very busy but mainly with drinkers (4pm). We then had to wait 55 minutes for our meals to arrive which I think is extremely poor. I appreciate it was a holiday weekend (as was the excuse given to us) but I don't think waiting almost an hour is acceptable. During the (long) wait I had a wander around and found that most people were just drinking and had not ordered food so I can only assume that the delay was caused somehow by the kitchen. The food, when it did arrive was okay, nothing special, and wasn't really worth the wait. Some of the staff were very friendly and helpful (special mention for Hannah who served us) but some of them looked as if they really didn't want to be there. After a short while, neither did I. I live quite near to this hotel and don't visit very often as each time I've been I've never been impressed. This hotel has a superb location and there is very little other choice in the area, it really should, and could, be something special, but unfortunately it still has a long, long way to go.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
22 mi away
The Bulkeley Hotel
The Bulkeley Hotel
#2 of 4 in Beaumaris

Been to Trearddur Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!