“attilla the hun relative”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Holt Lodge Hotel

Holt Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holt
London, United Kingdom
“attilla the hun relative”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed here early July on a bussiness trip. Arrived in the evening was checked in with little fuss,have to say restaurant staff were very pleasant and helpful. Room was a littled dated but it was fine for my needs. Breakfast the following morning was a nightmare, the head waitress or manager whoever she is must have been to the Attilla the hun charm school she sort of pointed in the direction of the table for me to sit at grunted "what would you like" proceeded to place theplate very heavily on my table I was half expecting it to be in my lap. Quite short and abrupt when I tried to ask a question about check out times. Not a good advertisement for me wanting to stay again will probably look for a local Premier Inn or similar.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
richard1982, General Manager at Holt Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Phillip,

Many thanks for your comments. There is really very little I can say to defend the lack of charm demonstrated towards you at breakfast here at the Hotel. Personal service as an independent hotel is what sets out from the more corporate hotels such as the Premier Inn. We like to think of every guest who comes through the door as important and not just another number. We have let you down, and for that I can only apologies. I hope that the service you received in the evening demonstrated that the standards we set ourselves regarding customer care are very high, and the service you received in the morning was a blip rather than the norm. If you do wish to stay with us again please email me directly at accounts@holtlodge.co.uk and I can ensure you are well looked after for the duration of your stay and not just part like last time.

Many thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Just back from two nights here for a wedding down the road in Tilston. Although some of the decor was a bit dated we thought it was really good value for money. The all you can eat breakfast is great and the staff were really helpful, especially in organizing a taxi to the hotel the wedding was at. The fire alarm went off twice during dinner on Friday night which seemed to cause panic with the staff!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Was here for a wedding and from start to finish the staff were fantastic warm n friendly!! Nothing was to to much trouble!! The service at wedding was fab very efficient n professional.The food was amazing fresh n hot when arrived!! They made everything run to schedule n made the day even more perfect!! Would highly reccomend well done guys!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Funkietraveler
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Myself and my partner stayed for 2 nights with a group of friends when we were taking part in Tough Mudder last year in October. Nice comfortable hotel, clean and good value for money. Food was good - great sized portions and a nice carvery in the evenings, buffet breakfast was tasty although service a little slow.

One complaint would be when i had a shower in the afternoon about 2pm after running round a half marathon obstacle course in the freezing cold - half way through the shower, the water ran cold!!! i had to get out and call reception to be presented with a response of, "there is probably no hot water, because of all the people using the water in the hotel at the same time". I am pretty sure most people shower in the morning/evening? And, is the hotel not capable of providing hot water to all rooms at the same time? This resulted in me having to wait around for half an hour for the hot water to come back on! I wasn't even offered an alternative or an apology, all I wanted was a nice hot shower/bath - was this too much to ask for from a hotel?!?!??!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
St Ives, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

The Holt Lodge Hotel is conveniently situated just outside Wrexham and is a good place to stop off after a long drive from England. The parking is excellent and the rooms are clean and a standard that one would expect from this type of hotel. Prices are reasonable and there is a pleasant bar and light and airy dining room. Dinner, especially the carvery was very good. Unfortunately it was rather let down by poor sweets. During my visit the lift was not working. However all the staff were polite and friendly and were very willing to try and correct any shortcomings. This was the third time I have stayed at the hotel and I would certainly choose to stay there again when visiting Wrexham. Nothing pretentious just comfortable, friendly and good value.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Complimenting the staff, who really were lovely, is alas, the best thing I can say.

I appreciate its never going to be a cool, hip hotel.. It's not meant to be, and shouldn't be. But the room I stayed in really was in desperate need of freshening and updating. The shower didn't work properly at all frustratingly, and as I was on a deadline, had no time to bring it up with the management. I would have thought the shower being in working order was fundamentally important though, and should be checked regularly.

The most annoying thing though was the noise. EVERY and I mean EVERY move I made... down the corridor.. Tiptoeing gingerly to the bathroom in the night.. Was accompanied by horrible very loud floorboard squeaking. I'm sure whoever was in the room below got no sleep at all, as I was kept awake by the couple above me, who I could hear every word of them talking (and they were just talking normally). Thank god they weren't in the throes of passion!

I don't want to sound too negative. As it's a fair hotel with nice staff in a great location. But some important niggles let it down.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
richard1982, General Manager at Holt Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Many thanks for your feedback. As an independent hotel we always welcome customer comments. The issue with the flooring is something that we are currently investigating. We are taking advice from builders in an attempt to create quieter corridors so that guest’s stays are not affected. This process will take a little time given the consultation process that we have to go through. However once completed we are 100% confident that guests will continue to enjoy staying at the Holt Lodge Hotel. When booking in the future it may be worth asking for a room at the back of the hotel, as during our investigations we have found that theses corridors are not as prone to squeaking as much as the front.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

We recently stayed for 5 nights at the Holt Lodge. We were familiar with eating there before but have never stayed overnight.
Firstly I must say that all the staff we met were very nice and extremely helpful.
The food also was excellent. We had lots of various meals which were all to a high standard, especially the breakfasts which catered for a wide variety of tastes.
Our room was adequate. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable but the bathroom was very tired and in urgent need of refurbishment.
Our biggest problem was the noise at night. Initially the doors banging in the corridor was annoying and I think could easily be solved by adjusting or replacing the closers.
However the noise from rowdy guests kept us up to the early hours of the morning. The sound seems to travel very easily through the rooms. So much so that we could hear all the bad language and filthy conversations. We may had just been unlucky to be staying when a wedding was on but something needs to be done to improve the soundproof levels.
Bring ear plugs!

Room Tip: Ask if they have refurbished rooms available.