Ruthin Castle Hotel
Soughton Hall(Northop)
    Chainbridge Hotel(Llangollen)
    • Breakfast included
    2,364 results
    All reviewslibrary barbertie's restaurantmedieval banquetprince of wales suitepeacocks wanderingcream teasteeped in historymoat spagrounds are lovelyrelaxation roomthermal suitespa facilitiespublic roomscooked breakfastbirthday treatroll top bathdeluxe room
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 29 March 2012

Had a three night stay in this fairly olde castle....the room (as big as a small ballroom) was nicely furnished with a king size bed dressing table and easy chairs in the huge window area
    large bathroom with small glass shower....reception...small elevator in the corner (hidden) for
    visitors with handicap....in all...value for the money

Room Tip: Breakfast included ...continental...you have to pay 4.50 for a full English breakfast...worth every penny!!!!!
    • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 27 March 2012

Booked for a second visit when working in the area as I was very impressed on my first stay.

That time I had a large comfortable room with lots of character. The wallpaper was specially designed to make the room look like a library. The large bed sat out from and was angled across the corner of the room. Behind this there were velvet curtains with a plinth and stone statue that was edge lit with white leds! There was a nice bath/shower and sink unit set on a plinth over on one side of the room, with wc behind a hidden door. The room was plenty big enough for a sofa and desk plus a large flat screen tv. Despite being one of the coldest nights of the year the room was comfortably warm and there were roaring open fires in the bar and lounge. We were treated with a tasty late night snack and some nice wine from the bar.

Second time round I was not so lucky. I was given the keys to a respectable sized room which was more basic but comfortable compared with the previous visit. Again it was a cold night and I couldn't get the heating to work in the room or large bathroom. I was given another room in a turreted part of the building. This was warm but was very dated in style. The bathroom was very dated and I was shocked when I flushed the toilet in the morning as water gurgled up through the adjacent sink - note to manager, please get the plumbing sorted!

That said, I did have a very nice steak in the bar with a pleasant glass of red wine. Staff were very friendly on both visits. Be careful on the room rates as both times I was surprised they only include a continental breakfast. The hot food that could be ordered as an extra was cooked to order and was very tasty.

There is plenty to look at in the grounds of the hotel including ancient castle ruins. You are invited to get involved with their upkeep by leaving a cash donation. Don't be alarmed if you hear strange noises, it is probaby the peacocks roosting. One had even made it on to the roof opposite my window. Outside the grounds there is an interesting old 'English' town to explore with a newly restored pub of the same name as the hotel in the town square - a short walk. Plenty of fine countryside in the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Ask for a refubished feature room.
    • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
    Reviewed 19 March 2012

The castle hotel is a great place to stay, a warm welcome on arrival by all the staff who are always attentative to ensure the stay is pleasurable. The ambience of the genuine medieval castle makes for a great experience. I found it was a genuine relaxing hotel, plenty of quite areas to sit and relax within the common areas of the hotel.
    Word of warning to anyone taking young children, it is an old castle and therefore the building does not always meet the same safety standards as the more modern hotels i.e. the windows in the room are low and can be fully opened very easily to a 3 storey drop.....I'm sure that children would find the suits of armour very interesting as well.

On the whole though, if you want a pleasant stay you cannot go wrong.

Note to the management.......the bathroom floor was very slippy as though it had polish on it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Solomon26
    Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I were very much looking forward to some time away and the promise of a staying in a castle was an added bonus however I cannot tell you how disappointed we were with the accommodation and package in general and hope those of you reading his will have a better experience.

We had taken a cheap, £95, one night package away and hoped for a pleasant stay in what was advertised as a luxury hotel. The ground floor rooms, as one would expect from a castle, were suitably grand and imposing but room (309) has to be the worst accommodation either of us have ever stayed in. It was clearly an attic room - pokey, shabby, tired and dismal. There was paint peeling from the ceiling and it had cobwebs in the corners. The room was cold and the only new thing was a large television high over the dressing table that could only be viewed from the bed. The bathroom was dirty and appeared to have not been updated since the 1960’s. Our bath was not clean neither were the towels. The bed was uncomfortable and there was virtually no view of anything except rooftops . I realise we had come on a special package but we have taken many of these in hotels across the country and never had cause to complain before. It was also disappointing that many of the menu choices were only available at an additional supplement and this included a cooked breakfast.

What a lost opportunity for a hotel like this which only had a few guests midweek in early March. Clearly there were many empty rooms which could have been offered which might have better reflected on such a grand establishment? More importantly that might have encouraged us to revisit the hotel in the future as so many promotional leaflets were encouraging.

On a positive note Ruthin itself is a pretty little town and there is lots to do in the local area. I would recommend the area but not this hotel.

Room Tip: none on the third floor
    • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
    9  Thank 1410295GANG
    Reviewed 12 March 2012

We married here 11 years ago and this is the first time we've returned to stay and we weren't disappointed. The Castle has been re-furbished a lot since we were last there and has been done very sympathetically but money does need spending on outside areas. We stayed in the Lilly Langtrey suite and it's not as lurid as it looks on their photo's. Massive, very comforatble bed, big tv and large nicely decorated bathroom with double ended bath, tv, and walk in shower. My only complaint here would be that for a "Royal Salon" and the cost of the room I would expect robes and slippers and much plusher towels. They were thin and scratchy, sorry I'm fussy! Could also do with better lighting, some of which was broken. Other than that the room was very nice with tolietries, tea and coffee etc provided.
    We only stayed one night so had booked into the hotel restaurant. When we went down for dinner there was a wedding, which had been going on all day. This did make it difficult to get served at the bar and there were guests everywhere, which was a little off putting, however, they didn't cause too much disturbance and once in the restaurant everything was fine. The restaurant is lovely and the low lighting and candles really create atmosphere. The service is fabulous and the food, although not tip top, was very nice.
    Breakfast the following morning was equally as nice and the service first rate.
    Overall we really enjoyed oursleves and would definitley go back. Ruthin itself is is small but pretty with a few shops and a decent array of bars and pubs and a what looked like a really nice restaurant that we'd go to if we'd stayed longer. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple