“The Room Without A View!”
Review of Manorhaus Ruthin

Manorhaus Ruthin
Ranked #3 of 15 Ruthin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Got a cheap deal from MoneySuperMarket for this hotel and had high expectations after reading the reviews. Although the parking arrangement 2 mins walk away wasn’t ideal, Gavin made us feel very welcome upon arrival. I booked Room 8 because I was treating the wife and the room was billed as the “best view in the building, looking across open fields and the Clwydian Mountains”. As soon as we got to the room I asked the wife to look out of the waist height window expecting her to gasp at the view. “Scaffolding!” she said.....the moment was ruined and the room with the view suddenly didn’t have a view at all.

The initial saving grace was that the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean which my wife really appreciated as a self confessed clean freak. Plenty of towels and a well stocked tea/coffee tray were nice but the travel kettle was so poor that we nearly died of old age waiting for it to boil!!

We’d hoped for a good night’s sleep but alas this wasn’t to be. Despite the comfy bed, the radiators made an awful loud clicking noise and the wind howled through the gaps in the old single glazed windows which wouldn’t shut properly (one of the handles even fell off). We’d had an awful night’s sleep. Just when we thought it couldn’t get any worse we were both woken up at 6am on the dot by a loud humming noise which lasted a full 20 minutes. The wife was at her wits end and on the verge of calling reception to find out what the hell was going on. This happened at exactly the same time and duration the following morning so it was no coincidence. Oh well, at least we could see the mountains above the scaffolding if we opened the curtains when we awoke...WRONG!! The single glazed windows were full of condensation from top to bottom with a pool of water on the window ledge.

The following morning we went down for breakfast to be served by a grumpy chap we later found out was co-owner Christopher. I’m not sure if his mood had impacted on the room but every guest was sat eating breakfast in virtual silence. You could have cut the atmosphere with a knife! On the plus side, my “full Welsh” breakfast was cooked perfectly. My only gripe being the wife got a pot of tea whereas I only got a cup of coffee and had to ask for a refill as soon as my breakfast arrived, much to Christopher’s apparent annoyance.

We decided not to eat at the hotel for our evening meal so cannot really comment any further on the quality of the food and we didn’t really use the hotel’s other facilities apart from the library to check out the local attractions.

All in all I’d say we weren’t impressed with the Manorhaus and upon checkout I raised a few points with Gavin who was extremely eager to debit my credit card for the “£30 room with a view surcharge”. I explained our disappointment with the view as I felt I’d been misled. He said the scaffolding had gone that high only the week before and there was nothing he could do about it. He also suggested that if we’d paid full price (as apposed to the half price MoneySuperMarket deal) he may have been able to offer us a discount. I tried explaining that I’d booked the room BECAUSE of the view and was paying a surcharge for it when there was no view in my opinion. Gavin wouldn’t budge though and completely missed the point. If they’d had a room with a Jacuzzi, would I be expected to pay a Jacuzzi surcharge if the Jacuzzi didn’t work? He even fobbed us off about the loud 6am humming noise by trying to suggest it was the wind and nothing to do with the hotel.

Alex Polizzi would have a field day with this place and that’s before commenting on the size of their sausages.

5  Thank Skinarelli
gavinvharris, Owner at Manorhaus Ruthin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

I am very sorry that your stay was not up to expectations, as we do our best to satisfy and hopefully exceed our guests expectations.

You raised the issue about the view when you were departing after your 2 night stay, and unfortunately had made no mention of this or any other issues that seem to have impacted during your stay. Had we been informed of your concerns on the occasions that we served or checked on you during your 2 days with us, we could have made efforts to address them urgently.

With regards the view, our neighbours refurbishment works had only in the previous week extended to involve some scaffolding at the back, which was to the left of the mountain views seen from Oriel 8. Whilst you had chosen to upgrade to a Superior room, and selected this particular room for its view, it is a classed as a Superior room as it offers more amenities than our standard rooms for which your voucher was applicable, which is why we felt it fair to charge the modest room upgrade surcharge.

Your heavily discounted rate of over 55% OFF represented excellent value for money and waiving the upgrade fee for your superior room due to the view being impacted by something outside our control would have put us in an unsustainable position in relation to the costs of hosting you as guests. Appreciating your disappointment with the view I offered our Guestlist membership which would provide special offers in the future, and you appeared to understand our position and paid the £30 bill graciously.

The other issues that you have raised in hindsight are regrettable and we apologise that they detracted from your stay. We appreciate you bringing them to our attention and they have been or are in the process of being addressed (we do believe the early morning noise was an adjoining properties boiler flue vibrating in the wind, and the normally sealed window pane that had been opened is being re-fixed).

Like the breakfast chippolatas, our aim is to offer quality not quantity, and as such we would love to welcome Alex Polizzi to stay, as the vast majority of guests enjoy the experience of staying at manorhaus.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

highly recommended. The breakfast is top class, staff v nice n helpful. We made use of the cinema room n spa room, both brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at Manorhaus for 2 nights 5/6 Feb 2012. We didn't know what to expect as we had purchased a deal from Money Supermarket .com @ £99. We need not have worried as the place is lovely. Our room was at the top of the house (the stairs are not steep and not a problem to climb) and was probably one of the smaller (cozy) rooms, however what it lacked in size was made up for in style. The bed was king size and VERY comfortable, and we had an en suite wet room. Every need was catered for, tea/coffee tray (well stocked) T.V DVD with a choice of dvd's from a library. The room also provided towels, lovely toiletries, dressing gowns and slippers which came in very handy for the sauna/steam room facilities. My wife is a clean freak and has been known to get out the rubber gloves and clean before unpacking, however there was no need at the Manorhaus as the place is spotless. On Monday we spent some time walking in Loggerheads and on our return to the Manorhaus we booked the sauna and thawed out. We had a delightful evening meal in the resaurant (excellent food) and ended the night watching a movie in the private cinema (booking required), a real treat. The breakfast was excellent with a great choice, my wife says the eggs benedict was to die for. If I had any criticism it would be that the tea pots at breakfast are not very big, but then I am a bit of a tea tank. All in all a perfect place to spend a couple of days to relax, would not hesitate to recommend and will definately return.

1  Thank paul g
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We have just stayed for 2 nights having found a deal on the internet. A beautiful building with individual extremely comfortable rooms. The hotel offers good facilities such as sauna/steam room ( robes and slippers provided in room) , private basement cinema, libary packed with a great selection of reading material, music and DVDs. We had a meal in the stylish restaurant which was very enjoyable.
We were given a parking pass for a nearby longstay carpark which was valid in the whole Denbighshire region as there isn't onsite parking. Check in is strictly not before 3pm. We really enjoyed exploring the historic town of Ruthin and surrounding areas.

Room Tip: you can seeall the art themed rooms on the website and request if available
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This is a hotel that will surprise you with it decor. Each room is called a gallery ( Oriel in welsh) and showcases an artists work. A little too contemporary for our taste, but clean with good quality furnishings.. The food was fabulous, absolutely first class. One of the best meals we have ever had, Well done

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Loved our stay, the room and facilities were perfect for a short break away!

Reviewed 8 February 2012

At very short notice I decided to spend New Year away from home in a hotel. As a single man not in the first flush of youth I have avoided such things in the past, not wanting to feel like Banquo's ghost at the party.
Websurfing, I came across Manorhaus offering a New Year Gala dinner and rooms. There was availability so I booked for two nights - New Years Eve and Day in Oriel 7.
First the room - comfortable and spacious for 1 with a huge bed and good sitting area around the sofa. It was at the top of a fairly steep narrow stair, so one needs to be reasonably fit! Bathroom was small but had reasonable space - however the shower was over the bath with a high step over to get in. Good towels and toiletries. The artwork was reminiscent of Lichtenstein (Roy, not the Principality!)
I used the steam/sauna and gym. The former was fine (needs to be booked in advance) but would benefit from a shower. The gym in the basement was small and the least satisfactory feature - the cross trainer was broken and the treadmill is not powered so I found it difficult to control.
The gala dinner was excellent, from the canapes in the bar to the indulgent pudding. Great scallops and mutton. Not cheap, but well worth the money. It was busy (mostly non residents) but even as the only single there, I did not feel uncomfortable - neither bothered nor neglected.
A la carte dinner the next day was also very good - a good but not huge choice. Breakfasts were also good.
Service throughout was attentive, friendly and not obtrusive. Nothing seemed too much trouble.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank littleronnie7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruthin
Castle Hotel
The Old Rectory Bed & Breakfast
Plas Efenechtyd Cottage B&B
0 mi away
Ty Derw Country House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Manorhaus Ruthin? Share your experiences!