“Welcoming and warm”
Review of Monfa Guest House

Monfa Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tywyn
Monfa Guest House
Ranked #4 of 10 Tywyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Lovely place to stay, the rooms were clean and spacious and Paula and Shaun could not have been better. We were there for the 'race the train' weekend and upon completion of the race Shaun handed us a lovely cream cake and some biscuits which was really welcome. Breakfasts were lovely and Paula is so nice, very chatty and friendly but not overbearing. Can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RowenaMiltonKeynes

Reviewed 24 August 2013

My inlaws booked the guesthouse for a special birthday for one family member (bearing in mind or was an 80th) travelling from Yorkshire we arrived later than expected due to traffic on the m62 - not unusual - and my father-in-law rang ahead to state that we would be arriving late. When we did arrive I called the guest house to find out where to park as it is double yellow lines all outside. I was greeted with a sullen, moody and downright rude attitude. The manager (a man) started having a go saying that plenty of others wanted the room. I explained we were outside and wanted to know about parking and the owner replied "park where you want" and hung up. We ventured into the guest house but decided not to say anything other than apologise for arriving at 9pm. (I don't think this is late) after being on the road for 4 hours we did not need what come next. The owner then accused us of being in the pub when we last called. We were astonished by this as it was my father-in-law who had rang ahead to say that we would be arriving late. We were really upset and asked the owner if he wanted out business and he said no and marched us out. To be quite honest we were glad he did this as the decor in the house was incredibly dated and we were greeted by barking and growling dogs when we arrived. The stench of smoke was incredibly strong and the house was far from clean. The owner was irritable, nasty, intimidating and downright rude. We stayed in a much better guest house further down the road who were more than happy to receive our business and it was a much nicer place. The guy who owns this place is simply looking to make a quick quid or two and hospitality is the last thing on his mind.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Natalie W
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed at the Monfa Guest House for the popular "Race the Train" weekend; I had a single room with a separate private bathroom which was on the small side, but comfortable and adequate for my needs. Paula and Shaun were very welcoming, and the breakfasts were excellent. The location is nice and quiet, yet very convenient for all that Tywyn has to offer, and even on what must be the busiest weekend of the year I had no difficulty in parking almost directly outside.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed in Monfa Guest House for 5 nights at the beginning of August. We stayed in a family room which was spacious and very clean. Paula and Shaun have been great hosts. They could have not done more to make our stay enjoyable. Shaun's breakfast is amazing. On two days we have been leaving the B&B very early to go on day trips. Because we missed breakfast, Shaun cooked us a tasty evening meal instead. We had a brilliant holiday. The location is fantastic for exploring and walking. Thank you Paula, Shaun & Brandon.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Just returned from our fifth visit to Monfa. Different room to that we usually have, but still excellent. Paula, Shaun and family as friendly and accommodating as ever with Shaun Breakfasts as superb as usual. Lookinh forward to visit number six.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while attending a fiends wedding.Room 5 was lovely and clean and even had a sea view.Shaun and Paula(the hosts) were great, nothing was to much trouble. Fantastic breakfast! We look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We were travelling from Yorkshire and due to a bus fire got held up on the motorway. We phoned ahead to the B and B making them aware we were running late. This didn't go down well and met quite a rude response. On arrival it smelled of damp and looked dark and dingy. It was 2230 which the male owner made extremely clear he was not happy about. His catchphrase being "Not being funny but..." and then laying out insult after insult. My fiancée and I apologised about being late yet this didn't seem enough for our host. He carried on, each time starting with "not being funny but...".
It became quite clear very quickly that his customer service skills were none existent.
I am not usually one to air my opinion so quick and tend to bite my tongue but on this occasion after a long drive I was not in the mood to be insulted by someone that should in effect be looking after us.
My words were chosen carefully to stop him in his tracks and think about his approach, which I had already told my fiancée I would say regardless of the outcome. I said "Not being funny but do you want our custom or not?".
His response was quick "actually no.". This was fine with us as we had already discussed that we would rather sleep in the car than pay to be treated with such disrespect. On our exit as we were ushered out the door we were angry, so to have the last word, we made it clear to the owner that we did not understand how he could possibly run a successful business in this manner as he was so rude. From the positive reviews on trip advisor about this hell hole I can only assume they did not have any contact with this rude and obnoxious human being.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Logicity

Been to Monfa Guest House? Share your experiences!