“Dirty & violent - this is EASILY the worst hotel in Wales”
Review of Corbett Arms Hotel

Corbett Arms Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tywyn
Corbett Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tywyn
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Having just read the recent reviews, it seems appropriate to report on my stay in September 2006. I was reluctant to comment publicly before. The room was overpriced & dirty (I'm sure the sheets hadn't been changed since the last guest left), & the owners needed a good wash too. On my last night, after complaining about being locked out for the second time in 3 days (returning just before midnight to find my key didn't work as the doors were bolted!) a gang of 6 people (owners & their drunk friends) came to my room at 1am to eject me for daring to complain.

Despite calling the police, I was assaulted by the owners who insisted on me paying cash as apparently the card machine was "temporarily" out of order. When the police finally arrived & I got my bags back, I found that my goods had been tampered with and severely damaged. I was limping over for a week afterwards due to my leg injury caused by the assault.

During my illegal incarceration by the owners, they stressed to me that they were rich and had no need of the income from the hotel. This might explain (though not excuse) their shockingly bad attitude, assuming it's true.

DO NOT STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! You'd be better off sleeping on the beach - it's cleaner & safer.

And by the way, during my stay, the fire escape was 50% blocked by old furniture dumped in the way - doesn't anybody in Tywyn inspect hotels for fire safety?

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
20  Thank assaultedguest

Reviewed 19 August 2009

Watch an episode of Fawlty Towers and then watch a Freddy Krueger film. Now merge the 2 together and voila, you're in the Corbett Arms Hotel! No wonder we were the only people there in a 43 room hotel on a Friday in August. Goddamn, wish I'd read the reviews!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
18  Thank LevelHeadedDude
Reviewed 24 July 2009

My partner 2 young children and myself travelled to tywyn to see family and was unfortunate to stay in this hotel. First of all we had to pay cash because "apparently card machine was not working" then their was no evening meals so had to get a takeaway which we were allowed to eat there but were given plastic cutlery and plates. owners seemed like they had drunk the bar dry to the point where my partner had to go to the bar on several occasions in the middle of the night to ask them and their friends to keep the noise down. Hotel in general was very dated and as my partner many years previous had worked at the hotel found the whole stay very upsetting to see a once marvellous hotel which used to be known for it's service and quality now being run by a pair of monkeys.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
16  Thank lickylou
Reviewed 14 April 2009

on a easter break in tywyn which we adore we dropped in the corbett for a drink. oh my goodness never again bar man looked like he could do with a good wash and shave. his wife well we just wont go there she tells anyone whom will listen her problems, goodness help any one who stays there.it is in need desparate need of a good update and good clean. the way the country is and buisness now you would put 100% in tryin to bring and keep cusromers the people who run this establishment need to have a good look around.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
13  Thank mydav
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Having worked as Deputy Manager at this hotel many years ago, my partner and I decided on a day trip to Tywyn, with a specific aim of revisiting 'the Corbett' and having refreshments, hopefully also bumping into a few familiar faces.
Oh dear.
It appears that if you are unable to get your itinery exactly right (ie, one that fits the expressed desire of the owners) then you are doomed to be ejected ignominiously from the Corbett these days.
In other words, after having a very brief look round for old time's sake, I had to visit the loo before we ordered coffee. Whilst I was away, my partner was forcibly escorted out by a loud mouthed, extremely aggressive and rude man (who was proud to admit to being the owner) It was my turn next, and I was rounded on as I walked towards the bar, only this time this obnoxious little man was joined by his equally rude wife.
The reason for our ejection (and, indeed, barring)? We were told to leave because I used the toilet before we ordered drinks. If it wasn't so laughable, we, as a professional couple who are stupid enough to allow ourselves to be pushed around by the likes of this pair, would have been deeply offended.
As it was, it not only left a lasting and bitter taste in my mouth about a place I was once proud to be associated with, but also left me sad at the fact that a town so obviously in need of the tourist pound could tolerate such a pitiful proprietorship of its premier inn.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
16  Thank anglowelshTGC
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Delightful Victorian hotel - on of the most attractive buildings I have stayed in.
Exceptionally clean room and linen, with a recently refurbished bathroom, and no water problems. If anything a tad too hot.
Casually run by friendly new owners and one of the best breakfasts I've had in ages. Would definitely use it again. Not that cheap but a lot better and better value than those in nearby Aberdovey where I was playing golf.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Booked in to Hotel because of location and work,on check in the owner/proprietor was certainly dressed inappropriately,casual and disheveled is an understatement!!. Insisted on payment in cash on booking, no card facilities, The room was very dated, in the bathroom was instructions on how to obtain hot water,and to take into cosideration the size and age of hotel the water could take some considerable time to get hot and to be patient, after 30 mins of running still no hot water (or in the morning), settled for boiled kettle water for a wash!!. The hotel was the coldest I have ever stopped in, I was glad when morning came, I could not recommend this hotel to man nor beast!!. AVOID.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
15  Thank archie99golf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tywyn
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
No photo provided
Dolgoch Holiday Homes
#2 of 3 in Tywyn
Leahurst Bed & Breakfast

Been to Corbett Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!